Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I WILL go on to study medicine BUT I have grade issues! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I am a 22 year old currently in my final year of my BA Hons Social Work degree, I'm predicted a 2.2 due to person issues that have happened throughout my university course. I have C grade Maths, English, Science, Additional Science ETC and I also have C grade ALevels in Law Sociology and Health and Social Care.

I understand my options are very limited!
    I have been researching non stop for what feels like a life time and I have found I have a few options.
    - I go and study abroad, Bulgaria, Romania, Czech Republic etc. (With or Without a foundation year there)
    - I do a foundation year here whilst I will have to resit my GCSE grades to bring them up
    - I can go through MediPathways which offer a foundation year then a 2 year BSc Biomedical Science degree with then a choice of going to do 4 year graduate medicine abroad or in the UK (If you're lucky enough to get a place - with my prior grades the chances would be low!)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or other options?

I forgot to add - I have worked in healthcare since I was 14, I have shadowed Drs, I am Phlebotomy trained and loads more - I feel my experience side of things is extremely strong.

THANKS

ReputationRep:
    Put everything into smashing your dissertation, anything to try get the 2:1. Are your MCs official? Can you do resits on exams/assignments that bring you down? Getting a 2:1 will make your options much more flexible.

SGUL will accept a 2:2 but you need to take the GAMSAT in order to apply. I'm not sure if there are any UKCAT unis that take a 2:2 without a master's but it does mean just one admissions test to focus on once you've finished up at uni.

Good luck and enjoy the rest of your course.

ReputationRep:
    That's for the reply! What's MCs? I'm trying with my dissertation but theres only 18 days til it's due! I only have one more assignment. I have no science background either so its difficult!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    SGUL and Notts 4yr GEM accept 2.2 with GAMSAT but it's difficult to score so highly.

Exeter and Plymouth 5yr a100 accept 2.2 with GAMSAT too, but you will have to pay all your own fees.

Warwick (UKCAT) and Swansea (GAMSAT) accept a 2.2 with a masters. Although you have to score a merit in your masters for Swansea.

All of these can be entered with a non-science undergrad degree. However, the GAMSAT exam requires an a-level knowledge of the sciences as a recommended minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwalsfaa)
    Hi,

So I am a 22 year old currently in my final year of my BA Hons Social Work degree, I'm predicted a 2.2 due to person issues that have happened throughout my university course. I have C grade Maths, English, Science, Additional Science ETC and I also have C grade ALevels in Law Sociology and Health and Social Care.

I understand my options are very limited!
    I have been researching non stop for what feels like a life time and I have found I have a few options.
    - I go and study abroad, Bulgaria, Romania, Czech Republic etc. (With or Without a foundation year there)
    - I do a foundation year here whilst I will have to resit my GCSE grades to bring them up
    - I can go through MediPathways which offer a foundation year then a 2 year BSc Biomedical Science degree with then a choice of going to do 4 year graduate medicine abroad or in the UK (If you're lucky enough to get a place - with my prior grades the chances would be low!)

I was wondering if anyone had any advice or other options?

I forgot to add - I have worked in healthcare since I was 14, I have shadowed Drs, I am Phlebotomy trained and loads more - I feel my experience side of things is extremely strong.

THANKS
    Go with foundation year
    What foundation courses are you eligible for? Cardiff? Durham? Etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am only eligible for Lambeth, Manchester and Sussex South Downs (only if I resit certain GCSEs though).. they're all college ones. I can do the medipathways foundation year but I haven't found out yet it that means I can go onto UK unis..

ReputationRep:
    All the universities I listed do not consider GCSEs except Swansea (who ask for maths and English at C). The GAMSAT, work experience, existing degree classification, personal statement (arguably not), and interview are the only things they consider within your application.

ReputationRep:
    That's for the reply! What's MCs? I'm trying with my dissertation but theres only 18 days til it's due! I only have one more assignment. I have no science background either so its difficult!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mitigating Circumstances. They mean you can take exams/submit work late without a cap in grade. Its a ****ton of paperwork but worth it if an illness is screwing up your grades.

I know people have recommended foundation routes but financially it would be a mammoth undertaking as you already have an undergrad degree however, if you can afford it, it might be a smoother transition from no science.

The GAMSAT is difficult but if you're all wrapped up with uni soon then you have all summer to learn the science. The other 2 sections use skills you would already have from your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Knock your socks off and do anything to get the 2.1. If you don't manage it, get your favourite tutor to write you a sincere reference explaining why you would have done better, were it not for your personal reasons (if these were illness, bereavement, etc). Starting ASAP, buy some A Level science textbooks to teach yourself the foundation you need for the GAMSAT.

ReputationRep:
    I had a phone call the other day saying they were offering me a place for this coming year in to the Access to medicine course at Manchester College.

My worry is however I'm currently studies a degree in BA Hons Social Work, but I've had a bit of a rough ride and I'll be achieving a 3rd or 2:2 depending on my dissertation grade.

Even if I obtain a distinction in the access course would I be eligible for any UK unis? I also don't know the specifics as to how high up this course is ranked?

Is there a certain amount of time after you've taken a degree when it will no longer be considered as your first or main qualification etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am / was in a similar place, and I wondered how your results went. I've done a fair amount of research on getting into medicine, so thought I could share if you wanted.
    I flunked my final exams a little and my results dropped from a predicted 2:1 to a third this year. I applied for a lot of masters, and I managed to get on a pretty good taught MSc and I know it's possible to get into medicine through a masters.

ReputationRep:
    Literally just had my results,I got a 2.2 praise the Lord! So now I hae like 3 med schools to choose from I believe. But I'd have to absolutely smash the gamsat.. so I'm not sure where to start!

How are you getting on?

ReputationRep:
    Literally just had my results,I got a 2.2 praise the Lord! So now I hae like 3 med schools to choose from I believe. But I'd have to absolutely smash the gamsat.. so I'm not sure where to start!

How are you getting on?
    I've got my Masters which starts in septmeber and I apply for unis with GAMSAT too. Maybe we'll end up and the same place and everything. :P
    I need to look at GAMSAT prep material too.
    I'd theoretically be in September 2018 entry.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same as me! No chance I'd get in next September as I'll have some serious studying to do for this GAMSAT.

The thing that worries me most is my lack of science background but then I don't know if I paid to do my a levels of that would make any difference?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah same as me! No chance I'd get in next September as I'll have some serious studying to do for this GAMSAT.

The thing that worries me most is my lack of science background but then I don't know if I paid to do my a levels of that would make any difference?
    In terms of science and A level material, there is ample on the Internet from videos and books, etc. It's good to have concepts from the three disciplines but also to be up to date with science discovery and issues.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So doing an access course etc won't benefit me?

I should just get a lot of shadowing, volunteering and a impressive UKCAT or GAMSAT score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you have done no science since GCSE then surely doing A level biology and chemistry would be a better bet? Did you get high A level scores in the ones you did take?

ReputationRep:
    I came out with over all Cs. I was at a place where I didn't know what I wanted to do and by the time I did in my final year and on my last lot of exams I managed to score AABB the rest of my grades meant it was still only high Cs! I studied Law, Sociology ane Health and Social Care

ReputationRep:
    Have you lots of money because it sounds like it is going to be a long haul.

I would suggest getting 3 As or A*s in science A levels and a high UKCAT plus work experience and try for the undergraduate route. I would only apply with my A level grades in hand though.

ReputationRep:
    I do not! I am definitely very working class and my parents are unable to financially support me!

I have lots of work experience so I know my main area would be volunteering and shadowing Dr's etc. I'm just worried I'll end up being too old! I'm 23 now etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.