Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a recent uni graduate looking to get into a career in finance. I have some previous experience working for some big well known companies but I'm looking to move into the Finance sector. I use Indeed.com and type in key words such as analyst, risk, audit etc.

I've been doing this for over a month now and haven't really had great results. A lot of the results are recruitment companies. I've of course targeted the companies that I want to work for directly by searching for jobs on their careers page but again, I haven't had much luck this past month.

Any suggestions on how to change my approach/what I should be doing?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lottiew_)
    I'm a recent uni graduate looking to get into a career in finance. I have some previous experience working for some big well known companies but I'm looking to move into the Finance sector. I use Indeed.com and type in key words such as analyst, risk, audit etc.

I've been doing this for over a month now and haven't really had great results. A lot of the results are recruitment companies. I've of course targeted the companies that I want to work for directly by searching for jobs on their careers page but again, I haven't had much luck this past month.

You could try doing work experience/volunteer at a finance company.

Can you be very specific, do you want to go into accountancy?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Have you looked on Efinancial and Cityjobs?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

What do you mean by 'finance'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just look on indeed I dont really look anywhere else..possibly gumtree. Then again I have a job already I just check to see if their are any better opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    You should ditch the 'mass market' places like Indeed etc, all they do is increase the competition for roles. Bookmark company websites directly, the international/national and local companies and then check them regularly. That' way you'll also get a feel for the job market, different roles, recruiting seasons etc. Basically focus your search, don;t make it larger - where the competition simply gets harder.

Also, as a recent grad, you should be leveraging everything you can out of your Uni Careers Service. They will have all the relevant company recruitment information, access to alumni, CV checking, interview practice, advice etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Souljer)
    I just look on indeed I dont really look anywhere else..possibly gumtree. Then again I have a job already I just check to see if their are any better opportunities

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you work as?

ReputationRep:
    Keep at it. Try to add slightly more specific job titles. When I was in the same position last autumn, I kept applying the word 'consultant' and 'analyst', which didn't really get me anywhere. The moment I started using words like 'cyber security' (the sector I wanted to work in), I slowly started getting more appropriate search results.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.