Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am asking this question twice because unfortunately I did not understand what the people who replied back on the original thread said so hopefully someone new could help me.

How do I calculate the terminal velocity of a sky divers if I know:

the mass of the skydiver
    gravity of earth
    drag coefficients
    The resultant force

Please help me I am really stuck, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinna21)
    Hi I am asking this question twice because unfortunately I did not understand what the people who replied back on the original thread said so hopefully someone new could help me.

How do I calculate the terminal velocity of a sky divers if I know:

the mass of the skydiver
    gravity of earth
    drag coefficients
    The resultant force

Please help me I am really stuck, thank you
    (as you probably know) Terminal velocity is the speed at which the resultant force is zero, i.e. drag is equal in magnitude to weight - because the body has stopped accelerating.

if this is a book question it seems odd that they'd give you drag coefficients in a question without any formula or rules of thumb that'd help you calculate a drag force.

if you've got 1 minutes data in a table maybe they expect you to extrapolate the velocity graphically rather than calculate it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    (as you probably know) Terminal velocity is the speed at which the resultant force is zero, i.e. drag is equal in magnitude to weight - because the body has stopped accelerating.

if this is a book question it seems odd that they'd give you drag coefficients in a question without any formula or rules of thumb that'd help you calculate a drag force.

if you've got 1 minutes data in a table maybe they expect you to extrapolate the velocity graphically rather than calculate it?
    Yes its not a textbook question but I've solved it now and thank you for the help I didn't need to draw a graph but even if I did I would then have worked out the answers too so thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinna21)
    Yes its not a textbook question but I've solved it now and thank you for the help I didn't need to draw a graph but even if I did I would then have worked out the answers too so thank you
    There is a equation for terminal velocity but im not sure if you need to know that much detail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hasan6091)
    There is a equation for terminal velocity but im not sure if you need to know that much detail
    Nop I don't need to use that but thanks anyway

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Who is going to be the top scorer of the World Cup in 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.