How do you calculate terminal velocity ? Watch

Cinna21
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi I am asking this question twice because unfortunately I did not understand what the people who replied back on the original thread said so hopefully someone new could help me.

How do I calculate the terminal velocity of a sky divers if I know:

the mass of the skydiver
gravity of earth
drag coefficients
The resultant force

Please help me I am really stuck, thank you
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cinna21)
Hi I am asking this question twice because unfortunately I did not understand what the people who replied back on the original thread said so hopefully someone new could help me.

How do I calculate the terminal velocity of a sky divers if I know:

the mass of the skydiver
gravity of earth
drag coefficients
The resultant force

Please help me I am really stuck, thank you
(as you probably know) Terminal velocity is the speed at which the resultant force is zero, i.e. drag is equal in magnitude to weight - because the body has stopped accelerating.

if this is a book question it seems odd that they'd give you drag coefficients in a question without any formula or rules of thumb that'd help you calculate a drag force.

if you've got 1 minutes data in a table maybe they expect you to extrapolate the velocity graphically rather than calculate it?
Cinna21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joinedup)
(as you probably know) Terminal velocity is the speed at which the resultant force is zero, i.e. drag is equal in magnitude to weight - because the body has stopped accelerating.

if this is a book question it seems odd that they'd give you drag coefficients in a question without any formula or rules of thumb that'd help you calculate a drag force.

if you've got 1 minutes data in a table maybe they expect you to extrapolate the velocity graphically rather than calculate it?
Yes its not a textbook question but I've solved it now and thank you for the help I didn't need to draw a graph but even if I did I would then have worked out the answers too so thank you
hasan6091
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Cinna21)
Yes its not a textbook question but I've solved it now and thank you for the help I didn't need to draw a graph but even if I did I would then have worked out the answers too so thank you
There is a equation for terminal velocity but im not sure if you need to know that much detail
Cinna21
Rep:
?
(Original post by hasan6091)
There is a equation for terminal velocity but im not sure if you need to know that much detail
Nop I don't need to use that but thanks anyway
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (10)
37.04%
No (17)
62.96%

Watched Threads