Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

British Asians, honestly do you feel more British or Asian? Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you feel more British or Asian?
    British
    41.77%
    Asian
    15.82%
    Both
    31.65%
    Undecided
    6.33%
    None
    4.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    Oh okay lol, well I'm the same ngl, I just don't find myself attracted to asian guys, like I have a bengali mate and he's really sweet and he's a funny guy too but there's nothing like that. Yeah, I understand. Richer in what way? A lot of asian cultures stick to arranged marriages but then again it does depend on the individual and their family, what they believe etc. My parents know a lot of pakistani families who still do arranged marriages but others dont, I think some bengalis do and don't and I think the majority of indians are into love marriages but then again there's yes and no in each culture if you get me.
    Dunno, spiritually, musically, food wise.

I'd be thinking of sikh, hindu and even catholic Indians, I wonder how they differ.
    I used to think arranged marriage was just muslim, but do sikhs do it as well?
    How about hindus? Aren't they pretty liberal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaucissonSecCy)

I'd be thinking of sikh, hindu and even catholic Indians, I wonder how they differ.
    The concept of arranged marriage still happen sometimes but it's mainly been replaced by love marriages tbh as the women have become more liberal and the parents haven't bothered to intervene so it's just become accepted practice. However the arranged marriages that do happen are not forced, and is merely a mutual friend of both parties who tells the other that this person may be looking to find a match for their daughter/son etc. Then it is up to the parties to come to an agreement and if they want to go ahead they can and if not that is fine also. It's not like 30 years ago were you were expected to marry who your parents said or do what they/the brothers expected. At least that my experience with Sikh which tend to be more liberal concerning women than the Hindus and Muslims

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    The concept of arranged marriage still happen sometimes but it's mainly been replaced by love marriages tbh as the women have become more liberal and the parents haven't bothered to intervene so it's just become accepted practice. However the arranged marriages that do happen are not forced, and is merely a mutual friend of both parties who tells the other that this person may be looking to find a match for their daughter/son etc. Then it is up to the parties to come to an agreement and if they want to go ahead they can and if not that is fine also. It's not like 30 years ago were you were expected to marry who your parents said or do what they/the brothers expected. At least that my experience with Sikh which tend to be more liberal concerning women than the Hindus and Muslims
    Weirdly enough that sounds quite romantic there.

I like the idea of my wife being a hot Indian who cooks me traditional food.

ReputationRep:

Oh okay and I'm not really sure but I think some still do arranged but as I said I depends on individual families 👀

ReputationRep:

It's done by all South Asian communities in the UK. But there's huge differences between the different communities e.g. Gujarati Hindus are by far the most liberal and Westernised of the British Asians and probably have arranged marriages the least, whereas Mirpuris probably practise it the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ravenous)
    It's done by all South Asian communities in the UK. But there's huge differences between the different communities e.g. Gujarati Hindus are by far the most liberal and Westernised of the British Asians and probably have arranged marriages the least, whereas Mirpuris probably practise it the most.
    OK. I think Gujurati women might be lookers too. Good food and music?

What are some Gujurati dishes?

ReputationRep:

Fam, Gujarati women are sexy AF. Go to a Garba night, see some girls in backless choli-lenghas and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unsurprisingly some of them are fantastic dancers too (Garba takes a lot of practise).

I'm Punjabi so I don't know the specifics of Gujarati food. A lot of it is vegetarian though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujarati_cuisine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asif007)
    Fam, Gujarati women are sexy AF. Go to a Garba night, see some girls in backless choli-lenghas and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unsurprisingly some of them are fantastic dancers too (Garba takes a lot of practise).

I'm Punjabi so I don't know the specifics of Gujarati food. A lot of it is vegetarian though.

Yeah, I think it's the looks of west(and north maybe) Indians that I've found hot.

I wonder if Goa has some fit women...

This made me think, I can't believe I've actually missed out this long. I must have absorbed the narrow conservatism by osmosis. I've just never thought to experience more cultures, apart from eating out on occasion, even though it is on my doorstep. There must be so many different Asian music scenes going on here

Isn't Gujurat a dry state? Do they drink alcohol over here?

I saw a Bhangra thing, near me, should go...

What goes on like at different type of events?.....just there is a Gurdwara near me and I'm curious about all religions, and the women obviously. There's no Hindu place or community much I don't think but there is in cities near me.

I'll google a few of those things...

ReputationRep:

Heyy wasup guys., gujarati guy here, randomly came across this hahah
    Dhokla, Fafda, Khakra, Ghatia, Khichdi (i think thats guju) Its all goooood!

Yeah, I think it's the looks of west(and north maybe) Indians that I've found hot.

I wonder if Goa has some fit women...

This made me think, I can't believe I've actually missed out this long. I must have absorbed the narrow conservatism by osmosis. I've just never thought to experience more cultures, apart from eating out on occasion, even though it is on my doorstep. There must be so many different Asian music scenes going on here

Isn't Gujurat a dry state? Do they drink alcohol over here?

I saw a Bhangra thing, near me, should go...

What goes on like at different type of events?.....just there is a Gurdwara near me and I'm curious about all religions, and the women obviously. There's no Hindu place or community much I don't think but there is in cities near me.

I'll google a few of those things...
    Yh its a dry state, you cant buy alcohol unless you're an NRI, which is odd since all the gujaratis i know in the UK all drink haha

ReputationRep:

LOL. Being a Guju myself, I can't argue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubZero~)
    LOL. Being a Guju myself, I can't argue.
    Haha ofc, I speak the truth. Watch out for those gorgeous Patels who break out the dance moves at Garba nights

ReputationRep:
    Haha ofc, I speak the truth. Watch out for those gorgeous Patels who break out the dance moves at Garba nights
    Looooool. My parents don't really like Patels and some other casts; they claim it's a bloodline/religious thing but I don't really care. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Looooool. My parents don't really like Patels and some other casts; they claim it's a bloodline/religious thing but I don't really care. :rofl:
    Oh ok. I didn't even know Patel was a caste, I thought it was just a Gujarati surname haha. Well I'm sure your parents have their own reasons.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. I didn't even know Patel was a caste, I thought it was just a Gujarati surname haha. Well I'm sure your parents have their own reasons.
    They're super strict when it comes to touchy subjects such as that. As a Jadeja, apparently I'm of a higher cast and stature than other casts. Like, what? o-o'' It's all bs to me and I'm pretty sure we're in 2017 and not hundreds of years back.

ReputationRep:
    They're super strict when it comes to touchy subjects such as that. As a Jadeja, apparently I'm of a higher cast and stature than other casts. Like, what? o-o'' It's all bs to me and I'm pretty sure we're in 2017 and not hundreds of years back.
    I agree with you there, it is quite an outdated concept. Nobody really bothers about caste in 21st century UK and it just seems feudal for people to keep mentioning it. I'm assuming your parents must be conservative about these things?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you there, it is quite an outdated concept. Nobody really bothers about caste in 21st century UK
    You'd be surprised. https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...rimination.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Heyy thereee, I'm a Patel 🙌🏽

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is really interesting, I don't know much about it but if you're born or brought up in Britain you're surely British right unless you want to identify yourself with your culture or somewhere else your family resides with? Up to you idk what I'm on about lol

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=asif007;68929848]Fam, Gujarati women are sexy AF. Go to a Garba night, see some girls in backless choli-lenghas and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unsurprisingly some of them are fantastic dancers too (Garba takes a lot of practise).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujarati_cuisine[/QUOTE]

I love choli lenghas! Even though I'm not a Gujarati.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah , check this out
    http://m.economictimes.com/magazines...aw3xMaw2Hq0txg

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.