Turn on thread page Beta

Fat Shaming vs Skinny Shaming.. Pinacle of Irony watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAstronomy12)
    Thoroughly deserved that
    I do wish he had said something earlier, but of course it must have been hard for him.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Always wondered this. I've been called anorexic a few times in my life, no one ever cared enough to defend me. Had I been mocked for being overweight, I'm sure the outcome would have been different.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm skinny, and I've been called anorexic, skinny *****, etc but I don't think I'd feel nearly as bad as if I was overweight and was insulted for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Always wondered this. I've been called anorexic a few times in my life, no one ever cared enough to defend me. Had I been mocked for being overweight, I'm sure the outcome would have been different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If I remember correctly you said you were 5'5 and 47kg on one of the other threads? Tbh that sounds slightly underweight though this may not be true as weight is a very poor indicator of how proportioned someone is. But yeh as for the latter part, a fat person will get far less derogative comments towards them
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If I remember correctly you said you were 5'5 and 47kg on one of the other threads? Tbh that sounds slightly underweight though this may not be true as weight is a very poor indicator of how proportioned someone is. But yeh as for the latter part, a fat person will get far less derogative comments towards them
    I am a bit underweight, yeah, but I'm not anorexic. I'm absolutely fine in my health, I could just do with putting on a bit of weight. I don't look unhealthy either, and my diet is actually alright, I just need to try and eat a bit more

I also used to be under 7 stone so I've put weight on for the first time in a few years, and I was 47kg months ago so I may have improved a little more

ReputationRep:
    That's the funniest thing I've heard all day! :rofl:

That ogre totally deserved what she got. People have such bad double standards with these things. A similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Some other girls decided to surround me and a fat one started yelling things like "anorexic freak, get some meat on your bones, twiggy" at me, so I turned to her and said "land whale, get some meat off your bones, tubby!" I got the sh*t kicked out of me by her buddies. It was a rough school. She and her friends flunked their GCSEs that year though, perhaps if she'd spent a little less time eating and a bit more time revising she'd have done better. Either way Karma sure got her good :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    I'm skinny, and I've been called anorexic, skinny *****, etc but I don't think I'd feel nearly as bad as if I was overweight and was insulted for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly this. Unpopular opinion but skinny shaming is nowhere near as bad as fat shaming. Anyone who thinks so is honestly just kidding themselves, I find it like the weight version of 'all lives matter'. People might make catty or hurtful comments to you but at the end of the day your body is still more desirable in society than fat people, you are not going to be actively discriminated against in the same way as an overweight or obese person will be

ReputationRep:
    Rekt.

In all seriousness that type of bullying is what gives birth to bodybuilders/lifters with severe body dysmorphia. People are *******s.

The kids problem is he went after the fat girl, that's never going to go well, he should have gone after some of the guys saying things as noone would feel bad for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Exactly this. Unpopular opinion but skinny shaming is nowhere near as bad as fat shaming. Anyone who thinks so is honestly just kidding themselves, I find it like the weight version of 'all lives matter'. People might make catty or hurtful comments to you but at the end of the day your body is still more desirable in society than fat people, you are not going to be actively discriminated against in the same way as an overweight or obese person will be
    My point precisely. I think in context of the situation, it makes sense why everyone acted the way they did. The girl probably made the comment she did because she was used to being the butt of similar jokes, it likely made her feel better to see someone else being bullied for their body. The boy lashed out in the same way for the same reason. It should be remembered that no-one in this situation is in the right, regardless of what people seem to be thinking. If people had more respect for eachother and didn't think it was their place to dictate what other people should or shouldn't look like, this wouldn't happen full stop.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that it is just as bad if not worse, especially for a guy. Takes a lot longer and more work for a skinny individual to improve him/herself physically compared to a fat one.

ReputationRep:
    I would say that it is just as bad if not worse, especially for a guy. Takes a lot longer and more work for a skinny individual to improve him/herself physically compared to a fat one.
    Do you really think the flak a skinny guy might get is even remotely near the level an obese woman would get? Lol ok pull the other one

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think the flak a skinny guy might get is even remotely near the level an obese woman would get? Lol ok pull the other one
    I'm not talking about the level of abuse, I'm just saying that is easier to 'transform' a fat person than a 'skinny' person imo. And you'd be surprised, some skinny guys get a hell of lot of abuse from bigger guys, some of whom are fat

ReputationRep:
    i think thats just because women have more attention put (partially by themselves, if we're honest, but maybe thats a societal thing) on their weight/looks in general.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not talking about the level of abuse, I'm just saying that is easier to 'transform' a fat person than a 'skinny' person imo. And you'd be surprised, some skinny guys get a hell of lot of abuse from bigger guys, some of whom are fat
    guys in general abuse each other a lot more than females do though :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's true. Truly obese people will lose weight and probably have a lot of saggy skin which they would have to get surgically removed IF the NHS will pay for it/they can afford it themselves. If not they're stuck with pounds of hanging flesh - doesn't happen with people bulking up.

Also, while I think obese people need to do something to help themselves, I can accept that by that stage there must be a lot going on mentally. Probably a deeply ingrained emotional dependency on food that will take time to reverse. A skinny bloke wanting to bulk up wouldn't have that problem either.

If you mean simply physically it is easier to lose fat than to gain muscle - I'm no scientist, so you may well be correct there. But I know plenty of people who have lost significants amount of fat, and I also know men who have gained significant amounts of muscle. So neither is impossible, both can be done. I just think losing a lot of weight when you're obese and possibly HAVE to do so because you're risking your life is nowhere near the same as a skinny guy who's been on the receiving end of a bit of banter so decides to bulk up a bit. A skinny guy who is in otherwise good health is making that choice in order to look better, whereas an obese person is making the choice to lose weight in order to look acceptable. It's not the same for me.

ReputationRep:
    I used to be called skinny a lot when I was younger, especially at school - even by the teachers.

I've beefed up though, and I went to this school reunion get-together kind of thing and I was swarmed by everyone.... success.

One thing I will never wrap my head around is the idea of "healthy at all sizes".

ReputationRep:
    I guess fat = good/ ok, and skinny = bad?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's true. Truly obese people will lose weight and probably have a lot of saggy skin which they would have to get surgically removed IF the NHS will pay for it/they can afford it themselves. If not they're stuck with pounds of hanging flesh - doesn't happen with people bulking up.

Also, while I think obese people need to do something to help themselves, I can accept that by that stage there must be a lot going on mentally. Probably a deeply ingrained emotional dependency on food that will take time to reverse. A skinny bloke wanting to bulk up wouldn't have that problem either.

If you mean simply physically it is easier to lose fat than to gain muscle - I'm no scientist, so you may well be correct there. But I know plenty of people who have lost significants amount of fat, and I also know men who have gained significant amounts of muscle. So neither is impossible, both can be done. I just think losing a lot of weight when you're obese and possibly HAVE to do so because you're risking your life is nowhere near the same as a skinny guy who's been on the receiving end of a bit of banter so decides to bulk up a bit. A skinny guy who is in otherwise good health is making that choice in order to look better, whereas an obese person is making the choice to lose weight in order to look acceptable. It's not the same for me.
    I'd you think a skinny guy needing to bulk up has no mental problems then you're ignoring the literally tens of thousands of guys with body dysmoorphia, muscle dysmoorphia specifically.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macy1998)
    I guess fat = good/ ok, and skinny = bad?
    /horseshit

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.