Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    for one of the organic questions it said when u react an acid with alcohol to make an ester a catalyt is needed, is it aqeous HCl?

also it said for hydrolysis of esters in alkaline conditions, a further step is needed after that, i said add aqeous HCL to get the carb acid back from its salt, is that right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    for one of the organic questions it said when u react an acid with alcohol to make an ester a catalyt is needed, is it aqeous HCl?

also it said for hydrolysis of esters in alkaline conditions, a further step is needed after that, i said add aqeous HCL to get the carb acid back from its salt, is that right?
    pretty sure the first is conc sulphuric acid

not sure about what the second is asking.

ReputationRep:
    sorry yeh i meant sulphuric i put that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravs)
    i put acidification with ??? acid

but it can only form the carboxylic acid but not isolate it

ReputationRep:
    For the further step, i think its First, hydrolysing ethyl ethanoate (or wotever the ester used) using sodium hydroxide solution and the second step is to hydrolyse methyl propanoate ( or wot ever the product was) in the same way.

Please correct if im wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 'Alawi Murid)
    For the further step, i think its First, hydrolysing ethyl ethanoate (or wotever the ester used) using sodium hydroxide solution and the second step is to hydrolyse methyl propanoate ( or wot ever the product was) in the same way.

Please correct if im wrong
    it is FURTHER STEP

yours seems to be another two-step way

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.