artymaniac
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

Ive been on so many different websites and cannot find the answer.....
Is Rule Utilitarianism teleological or deontological???

Thanks in advance
thefatone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by artymaniac)
Hey guys,

Ive been on so many different websites and cannot find the answer.....
Is Rule Utilitarianism teleological or deontological???

Thanks in advance
ok so Teleological and Deontological are pretty much polar opposites where:
Teleological= Ethics based upon consequences
Deontological= Ethics based upon actions themselves(not the consequences)

so where would you say Rule Utilitarianism is on this scale?
artymaniac
Rep:
?
So would it be teleological then because its based on the greatest happiness for society??I read on Wikipedia that deontological ethics judges morality on the adherence to rules though- and that's what it is too??
I would say strong rule- deontological
weak rule is teleological

Am I completely wrong?

(Original post by thefatone)
ok so Teleological and Deontological are pretty much polar opposites where:
Teleological= Ethics based upon consequences
Deontological= Ethics based upon actions themselves(not the consequences)

so where would you say Rule Utilitarianism is on this scale?
thefatone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So would it be teleological then because its based on the greatest happiness for society??I read on Wikipedia that deontological ethics judges morality on the adherence to rules though- and that's what it is too??
I would say strong rule- deontological
weak rule is teleological

Am I completely wrong?
Classical Utilitarianism from Bentham is Teleological because it's more based upon the consequences than the action leading to the consequence.

What do you base whether an action is moral or not? Deontological says it judges morality based upon a set of rules

Strong rule utilitarianism is the utilitarian theory that says the moral rules should be adhered to at all times.
^^ definition of Strong Rule Utilitarianism. This tells me that this is an absolutist theory because rules must be obeyed at ALL TIMES. So this must be a theory slightly more towards the Deontological side of ethics than teleological.

Yes and Yes sounds like you got this ^-^

p.s also i've just started learning about Utilitarianism but you've definitely made me research and made me work hard to find this stuff out, i like you At least that's some work done
artymaniac
Rep:
?
(Original post by thefatone)
Classical Utilitarianism from Bentham is Teleological because it's more based upon the consequences than the action leading to the consequence.

What do you base whether an action is moral or not? Deontological says it judges morality based upon a set of rules

Strong rule utilitarianism is the utilitarian theory that says the moral rules should be adhered to at all times.
^^ definition of Strong Rule Utilitarianism. This tells me that this is an absolutist theory because rules must be obeyed at ALL TIMES. So this must be a theory slightly more towards the Deontological side of ethics than teleological.

Yes and Yes sounds like you got this ^-^

p.s also i've just started learning about Utilitarianism but you've definitely made me research and made me work hard to find this stuff out, i like you At least that's some work done
Kl so overall rule utilitarianism is teleological, but some rule lean more towards deontological??

Ah that's good! Are you studying a level religious studies?
thefatone
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Kl so overall rule utilitarianism is teleological, but some rule lean more towards deontological??

Ah that's good! Are you studying a level religious studies?
General rule Utilitarianism is more teleological and STRONG rule Utilitarianism is more deontological. Weak rule Utilitarianism is more teleological

no i'm doing Philosophy, Biased essays ftw lol
fc67890
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a blog called
thecho$enone
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Rule is deontological but the overall theory of utilitarianism is deontological.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you do not get the A-level grades you want this summer, what is your likely next step?

Take autumn exams (222)
46.64%
Take exams next summer (67)
14.08%
Change uni choice through clearing (106)
22.27%
Apply to uni next year instead (49)
10.29%
I'm not applying to university (32)
6.72%

Watched Threads