Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Ive been on so many different websites and cannot find the answer.....
    Is Rule Utilitarianism teleological or deontological???

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artymaniac)
    Hey guys,

Ive been on so many different websites and cannot find the answer.....
    Is Rule Utilitarianism teleological or deontological???

Thanks in advance
    ok so Teleological and Deontological are pretty much polar opposites where:
    Teleological= Ethics based upon consequences
    Deontological= Ethics based upon actions themselves(not the consequences)

so where would you say Rule Utilitarianism is on this scale?

ReputationRep:
    So would it be teleological then because its based on the greatest happiness for society??I read on Wikipedia that deontological ethics judges morality on the adherence to rules though- and that's what it is too??
    I would say strong rule- deontological
    weak rule is teleological

Am I completely wrong?

(Original post by thefatone)
    ok so Teleological and Deontological are pretty much polar opposites where:
    Teleological= Ethics based upon consequences
    Deontological= Ethics based upon actions themselves(not the consequences)

so where would you say Rule Utilitarianism is on this scale?

ReputationRep:
    So would it be teleological then because its based on the greatest happiness for society??I read on Wikipedia that deontological ethics judges morality on the adherence to rules though- and that's what it is too??
    I would say strong rule- deontological
    weak rule is teleological

Am I completely wrong?
    Classical Utilitarianism from Bentham is Teleological because it's more based upon the consequences than the action leading to the consequence.

What do you base whether an action is moral or not? Deontological says it judges morality based upon a set of rules

Strong rule utilitarianism is the utilitarian theory that says the moral rules should be adhered to at all times.
    ^^ definition of Strong Rule Utilitarianism. This tells me that this is an absolutist theory because rules must be obeyed at ALL TIMES. So this must be a theory slightly more towards the Deontological side of ethics than teleological.

Yes and Yes sounds like you got this ^-^

p.s also i've just started learning about Utilitarianism but you've definitely made me research and made me work hard to find this stuff out, i like you At least that's some work done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Classical Utilitarianism from Bentham is Teleological because it's more based upon the consequences than the action leading to the consequence.

What do you base whether an action is moral or not? Deontological says it judges morality based upon a set of rules

Strong rule utilitarianism is the utilitarian theory that says the moral rules should be adhered to at all times.
    ^^ definition of Strong Rule Utilitarianism. This tells me that this is an absolutist theory because rules must be obeyed at ALL TIMES. So this must be a theory slightly more towards the Deontological side of ethics than teleological.

Yes and Yes sounds like you got this ^-^

p.s also i've just started learning about Utilitarianism but you've definitely made me research and made me work hard to find this stuff out, i like you At least that's some work done
    Kl so overall rule utilitarianism is teleological, but some rule lean more towards deontological??

Ah that's good! Are you studying a level religious studies?

ReputationRep:
    Kl so overall rule utilitarianism is teleological, but some rule lean more towards deontological??

Ah that's good! Are you studying a level religious studies?
    General rule Utilitarianism is more teleological and STRONG rule Utilitarianism is more deontological. Weak rule Utilitarianism is more teleological

no i'm doing Philosophy, Biased essays ftw lol

ReputationRep:
    I have a blog called

ReputationRep:
    Rule is deontological but the overall theory of utilitarianism is deontological.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.