x Turn on thread page Beta

Student Finance application summary incorrect watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Name:  what.png
Views: 259
Size:  7.2 KB
    ^Screenshot. Dunno why it's so tiny
    My application summary says I applied for a higher amount of Maintenance Loan of to £4,379... But I applied for the maximum which is over 8k! What's going on?! It's just a normal undergrad degree with a study abroad and it includes a year abroad but I didn't apply for that year. I selected that I'll be living away from home.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by redinthegrey)
    Name:  what.png
Views: 259
Size:  7.2 KB

My application summary says
    Maintenance Loan and grants - paid to youLiving Costs Loan Summary TableWhat you applied forIs this repayable?How much you applied forMaintenance LoanRepayable£3,821A higher amount of Maintenance LoanRepayableUp to £4,379If these details are incorrect change themBut I applied for the maximum which is over 8k! What's going on?!
    Until your income is assessed it won't tell you how much you ll get, adding the two together equates to the maximum loan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Until your income is assessed it won't tell you how much you ll get, adding the two together equates to the maximum loan.
    Oh okay! Thank you! My Maths is terrible so that wouldn't have even occurred to me.

ReputationRep:
    Both of those equal the(non london) maximum of 8.2k

Calm down, your entitlement doesn't appear to have been calculates yet, they're just what you applied for and it is correct.

ReputationRep:
    Also while I'm at it, does anyone know the purpose of the page that asks you if you can get disability benefits? I said 'no' but I was quite confused, because what if you could in theory but haven't applied for any? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Also while I'm at it, does anyone know the purpose of the page that asks you if you can get disability benefits? I said 'no' but I was quite confused, because what if you could in theory but haven't applied for any? :eek:
    That's to see if you are eligible for extra money/ equipment towards uni costs if you are disabled.

If you're not disabled or don't have any learning difficulties you don't have to worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    That's to see if you are eligible for extra money/ equipment towards uni costs if you are disabled.

If you're not disabled or don't have any learning difficulties you don't have to worry about it.
    I selected that I can't get disability benefits but I selected on another part of the application that I want to apply for DSA (I am disabled). The thing with being able to get disability benefits is it depends on who assesses you etc. Since I've never applied for PIP or ESA I can't say whether I can get them or not.

ReputationRep:
    I selected that I can't get disability benefits but I selected on another part of the application that I want to apply for DSA (I am disabled). The thing with being able to get disability benefits is it depends on who assesses you etc. Since I've never applied for PIP or ESA I can't say whether I can get them or not.
    Fair enough, I'm not fully versed in the subject as I'm not disabled myself.

You may want to check with

Tiger Rag

If I remember correctly they're familiar with this.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be registered disabled or get disability benefits, in order to qualify for DSA. I have quite a minor problem, but it meant that I couldn't hand write in an exam for 2-3 hours. I applied for DSA and got it - the main benefit being that the uni let me do exams on a word processor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    You don't have to be registered disabled or get disability benefits, in order to qualify for DSA. I have quite a minor problem, but it meant that I couldn't hand write in an exam for 2-3 hours. I applied for DSA and got it - the main benefit being that the uni let me do exams on a word processor.
    Yeah, for example people get DSA for dyslexia but I've never heard of anyone getting disability benefits for dyslexia (which isn't to say that it doesn't happen, but I certainly think it'd be more difficult to be eligible for PIP than for DSA based on dyslexia alone, as they're benefits that exist for different reasons
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Fair enough, I'm not fully versed in the subject as I'm not disabled myself.

You may want to check with

Tiger Rag

If I remember correctly they're familiar with this.
    I am, yes.

You can receive DSA without receiving PIP or ESA. You can receive DSA because your learning disability affects your ability to study, which may not affect your ability to work, nor may it cause any care and /or mobility needs.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.