The Student Room Group

Gonna be in halls, should I bring my monitors?

Howdy
I'm gonna be moving into halls of some description later this year, I've got a beautiful pair of Genelec 8030a monitors that I love. Just wondering if it's a good/bad idea to bring them or if it's even worth it. Any thoughts would be great.
Cheers
Reply 1
Original post by Whammoth
Howdy
I'm gonna be moving into halls of some description later this year, I've got a beautiful pair of Genelec 8030a monitors that I love. Just wondering if it's a good/bad idea to bring them or if it's even worth it. Any thoughts would be great.
Cheers

Yeah, why not? Tuck them away in a locked cupboard if you're have party, keep them out of sight of windows if you're on the first floor and keep your door secure. Take out insurance too if you're that concerned.
Howdy
Cheers

I took my Wharfedale monitors and got on fine, if you want to take them and reckon you'll get use out them then go for it :yy:
Reply 3
Original post by pjm600
Yeah, why not? Tuck them away in a locked cupboard if you're have party, keep them out of sight of windows if you're on the first floor and keep your door secure. Take out insurance too if you're that concerned.

Insurance, why didn't I think of that..... Just think I'd really miss em if I didnt take them. Ha.Thanks!
Reply 4
Oh cool, Do you know if there are rules against stuff like acoustic foam? Like because it's on the walls or a fire hazard or anything. Just thinking it might be worth trying to cut down low end travel between walls n stuff.
Oh cool, Do you know if there are rules against stuff like acoustic foam? Like because it's on the walls or a fire hazard or anything. Just thinking it might be worth trying to cut down low end travel between walls n stuff.

I don't know what the laws regarding foam are, you're probably best to contact your uni and see what their rules are regarding that sort of thing in halls.
With your insurance make sure they actually cover your high value items as many policies have quite a low limit.

You will also need to be careful about noise depending who is adjacent to you in hall.
Also on the insurance, check the excess.

I would bring them, but remember in halls people can get drunk and play a joke on you they think is funny, but actually screws you over. I was lucky to live in a student house because there were no places left at halls, but a classmate of mine had a pair of NS10s he'd had for years after a studio closed down and got rid of them, some of his hallmates (is that the right word?) came back after a night out completely pissed, and thought it would be a funny idea to paint them pink when he was out. Completely ruined them. While they were insured, the insurance company screwed him over and only paid their "estimated value after depreciation" from like the 80s, and didn't account for the fact they were now almost impossible to come by. He got about £100 from the insurance and lost a pair of vital monitors. Someone else had some Focal CMS65 monitors that someone thought would be a good idea to rest a beer on, knocked it over and ****ed up the right monitor.

Not sure about rules with acoustic foam, but if you're in a small dorm room, you'll DEFINITELY want a few diffusers. Hey, get in touch with the tech department at the uni and see if you can get some other students to make a project out of it :P Nothing as good as free kit!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by XMaramena
Also on the insurance, check the excess.

I would bring them, but remember in halls people can get drunk and play a joke on you they think is funny, but actually screws you over. I was lucky to live in a student house because there were no places left at halls, but a classmate of mine had a pair of NS10s he'd had for years after a studio closed down and got rid of them, some of his hallmates (is that the right word?) came back after a night out completely pissed, and thought it would be a funny idea to paint them pink when he was out. Completely ruined them. While they were insured, the insurance company screwed him over and only paid their "estimated value after depreciation" from like the 80s, and didn't account for the fact they were now almost impossible to come by. He got about £100 from the insurance and lost a pair of vital monitors. Someone else had some Focal CMS65 monitors that someone thought would be a good idea to rest a beer on, knocked it over and ****ed up the right monitor.

Not sure about rules with acoustic foam, but if you're in a small dorm room, you'll DEFINITELY want a few diffusers. Hey, get in touch with the tech department at the uni and see if you can get some other students to make a project out of it :P Nothing as good as free kit!

Ha, wonder if diffusers would have similar rules.. That NS10's story is rough, well scary. Gonna have to insure them, they're modern so I doubt I'd have the same problem, least not as bad. No-one get's to touch them.
More the noise levels I'm worried about, wouldn't have them loud anyway but if I can stop some of the travel I feel like I'd make fewer enemies..
(edited 8 years ago)
Ha, wonder if diffusers would have similar rules.. That NS10's story is rough, well scary. Gonna have to ensure them, they're modern so I doubt I'd have the same problem, least not as bad. No-one get's to touch them.
More the noise levels I'm worried about, wouldn't have them loud anyway but if I can stop some of the travel I feel like I'd make fewer enemies..

Oh and as for fire hazards, if the uni sound like they're about to kick up a fuss, then you can just get fire-rated acoustic panels and diffusers. Professional studios have to adhere to fire standards for health and safety as commercial establishments with customers on-site, so quite often the acoustic treatment will have a particular ISO standard of fire resistance inkeeping with H&S regulations.
Reply 10
Original post by XMaramena
Oh and as for fire hazards, if the uni sound like they're about to kick up a fuss, then you can just get fire-rated acoustic panels and diffusers. Professional studios have to adhere to fire standards for health and safety as commercial establishments with customers on-site, so quite often the acoustic treatment will have a particular ISO standard of fire resistance inkeeping with H&S regulations.

... This all seems so obvious now, ha. Thanks! Gonna be a pricey-ass room by the looks of it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending