Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Speaking and Listening advice needed please. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, so i have my Speaking and Listening exam- English Language Cambridge IGCSE on Monday and i am hoping to get a grade A at least. Can anybody give me advice on how they achieved their grade. Some advice on structuring my speech would we very appreciated.
    This is the breakdown of marks i think(not 100% sure)
    10 marks- Speech part (3-4 minutes)
    10 marks- Speaking (how you respond to questions)
    10 marks- Listening (also about how you respond to questions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibte10)
    Right, so i have my Speaking and Listening exam on Monday and i am hoping to get a grade A at least. Can anybody give me advice on how they achieved their grade. Some advice on structuring my speech would we very appreciated.
    What language?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    What language?
    English, sorry i should have specified.

ReputationRep:
    Ah ok, I got nothing to contribute then

ReputationRep:

I got full marks in mine, what is your topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    I got full marks in mine, what is your topic?
    USA Presidential Elections. What topic did you do? Some advice would be appreciated on how you presented your ideas.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I got full marks on mine and the way i did it was categorise each junk into topics that would follow nicely with each other. I did my topic on North Korea, something quite controversial especially with their concentration camp programme they're running and their lack of human rights. For USA presidential election, what are you planning on talking about specifically? because that's quite a broad topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    I got full marks on mine and the way i did it was categorise each junk into topics that would follow nicely with each other. I did my topic on North Korea, something quite controversial especially with their concentration camp programme they're running and their lack of human rights. For USA presidential election, what are you planning on talking about specifically? because that's quite a broad topic.
    I am planning to talk about each candidate potential contribution if they were elected. I am planning to talk about the positives and negatives each Candidate brings and make a judgement imo on who i think would to the best job as President.

ReputationRep:
    USA Presidential Elections. What topic did you do? Some advice would be appreciated on how you presented your ideas.
    Are you passionate about that?

My topic was 'Importance of History to society and Education'. For top marks you need a wide range of language devices( make your tone passionate, emphasize,use rhetorical questions, irony, sarcasm(if relevant and not offensive).

I basically started of saying what History was( like she didn't know already lol) but I did that so I could say that "history was important" and so I could emphasize it lol. It's basically a game. I think the important thing is to be really passionate about what you're talking about, or to have researched it enough that you can say loads about it( especially in the discussion bit).

And don't be to put off by crazy questions, like my teacher asked me. " Give one example where man kind have learned from History". Although I know what to say now, in an exam my mind went somewhat blank and I answered it personally and because of that she went on to ask me a personal question. Try to lead her in the direction you want the conversation to go, for example saying little things at the end so she asks you a question about that.

If there are key things you didn't mention in your speech, then research it! As if your teacher doesn't know a lot about the American Elections then she will probably have too.

Replace things like 'erm' or 'like' for silence as it looks like you don't know what you're talking about

Make sure in the discussion bit you extend the subject matter constantly or at least in 3 questions and pretend to be enthusiastic( even if you're not about certain questions). You could be like " good question" or I'm glad you asked... I was researching that..."

Lastly a key thing is to elicit a response from her( make yourself so engaging that she has to respond). Make her laugh, shocked etc. You could do this by saving a statistic for her in the discussion bit, or if you think you're not the most engaging person, then ask her a question and make sure you respond of what she says.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Are you passionate about that?

My topic was 'Importance of History to society and Education'. For top marks you need a wide range of language devices( make your tone passionate, emphasize,use rhetorical questions, irony, sarcasm(if relevant and not offensive).

I basically started of saying what History was( like she didn't know already lol) but I did that so I could say that "history was important" and so I could emphasize it lol. It's basically a game. I think the important thing is to be really passionate about what you're talking about, or to have researched it enough that you can say loads about it( especially in the discussion bit).

And don't be to put off by crazy questions, like my teacher asked me. " Give one example where man kind have learned from History". Although I know what to say now, in an exam my mind went somewhat blank and I answered it personally and because of that she went on to ask me a personal question. Try to lead her in the direction you want the conversation to go, for example saying little things at the end so she asks you a question about that.

If there are key things you didn't mention in your speech, then research it! As if your teacher doesn't know a lot about the American Elections then she will probably have too.

Replace things like 'erm' or 'like' for silence as it looks like you don't know what you're talking about

Make sure in the discussion bit you extend the subject matter constantly or at least in 3 questions and pretend to be enthusiastic( even if you're not about certain questions). You could be like " good question" or I'm glad you asked... I was researching that..."

Lastly a key thing is to elicit a response from her( make yourself so engaging that she has to respond). Make her laugh, shocked etc. You could do this by saving a statistic for her in the discussion bit, or if you think you're not the most engaging person, then ask her a question and make sure you respond of what she says.

Good luck
    Thank you for the advice, really appreciated! Yes i think this topic is something i have lots of knowledge about. What happens in the discussion bit? Does the Teacher immediately start asking questions? I know that you have to talk for 6 minutes after the speech but are questions just constantly asked?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice, really appreciated! Yes i think this topic is something i have lots of knowledge about. What happens in the discussion bit? Does the Teacher immediately start asking questions? I know that you have to talk for 6 minutes after the speech but are questions just constantly asked?
    Yup pretty much, she might say something like " thank you an engaging and informative speech or something like that". My teacher asked quite long questions to give me time to think also. The first was like " You mentioned in your speech about Soviet Russia.... do you think?

I wanted to ask the first question to be honest, but she just kept asking me them so I didn't have time and I forgot in the end, as I was just thinking about my answers to the questions and before I knew it the exam was over.

ReputationRep:
    Yup pretty much, she might say something like " thank you an engaging and informative speech or something like that". My teacher asked quite long questions to give me time to think also. The first was like " You mentioned in your speech about Soviet Russia.... do you think?

I wanted to ask the first question to be honest, but she just kept asking me them so I didn't have time and I forgot in the end, as I was just thinking about my answers to the questions and before I knew it the exam was over.
    So its about the quality of your response to the questions? Also did you receive your mark immediately?

ReputationRep:
    So its about the quality of your response to the questions? Also did you receive your mark immediately?
    Yup, definitely.

No, as they had to be internally moderated by other English teachers. Some people got their marks straight back after their mocks in January, so it's fairly easy for the teacher to tell how you've done afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, definitely.

No, as they had to be internally moderated by other English teachers. Some people got their marks straight back after their mocks in January, so it's fairly easy for the teacher to tell how you've done afterwards.
    Ok, thanks for your advice. I appreciate your effort .

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.