Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When approaching maths questions how do you think? Weird question, I know but suppose you had a Trig identity question which asked you to prove it could be converted into a different form. Would you think through the steps in your head before attempting? Or just dive in head first without much thinking and just factorising and expanding **** and hope that it eventually takes you to the answer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinCheng)
    When approaching maths questions how do you think? Weird question, I know but suppose you had a Trig identity question which asked you to prove it could be converted into a different form. Would you think through the steps in your head before attempting? Or just dive in head first without much thinking and just factorising and expanding **** and hope that it eventually takes you to the answer?
    Depends. Have you got an example?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    At A-level I didn't go diving in. I look at the question given, first think about what the question is asking, and then what information is given and what I could do with that information. With proving a trig identity I guess you don't need to worry about half of that stuff.

When given an identity, before attempting anything I look at both sides and which side seems like the side to start from (usually the more complicated one) and if I can, I'll zip through it really quickly in my head. If I can't, then I'll take the first step and see if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    Depends. Have you got an example?

This question for example. Would you first go through the steps in your brain so that you've pretty much arrived at what x = you just need to get it onto paper.

Or do you just think on the spot whilst writing?

ReputationRep:
    Basically there's a point at which you have multiple tools such as re arranging identities and using them like that and a few other "tips and tricks" which you can use to help solve the stuff and all it depends on is how well one can use that knowledge.

^^ Once you can do the bold bit everything becomes tons easier since most questions u come across will require you to use what you already know

ReputationRep:
    This question for example. Would you first go through the steps in your brain so that you've pretty much arrived at what x = you just need to get it onto paper.

well first this looks like you need to combine the logs into a single one(COMES WITH EXPERIENCE) so use power rule first then combine into a single log. Remember that log base 3 = 1 means 3^1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    well first this looks like you need to combine the logs into a single one(COMES WITH EXPERIENCE) so use power rule first then combine into a single log. Remember that log base 3 = 1 means 3^1
    Get off my thread

ReputationRep:
    my GCSE maths teacher made us write out the steps we would take to get the answer in the corner of the paper for the longer/wordy questions and now I'm used to it, i dont write it down now but still have a thought process of how I'm going to get the answer

ReputationRep:
    Get off my thread
    why so mean ;(

ReputationRep:

Well just on the spot as there is no real difficulty with that, just remembering how to use log rules. If you have most of the standard identities in your head you won't have much trouble with these kind of questions. All comes with experience as above.

ReputationRep:
    Get off my thread
    Btw you need to expand brackets and get rid of the fraction then make everything = to 0 then use the quadratic formula

ReputationRep:
    When doing trig, I would say experience is the most important thing - you start to learn tricks and ways around them, so past paper questions are definitely the most valuable things you can do. Also, make sure when doing them you're looking at what you're trying to get to, for example, if you're expanding cos2A, and you know at the end you have to reach something in terms of sine, you know to use the identity cos2A= 1-2sin^2A, etc. Also, if there is a part a to the question, just check that they're not in any way linked, especially if the amount of marks looks a lot lower than it should do. Also, be constantly aware what secx, cosecx and cotx really mean, especially cotx, which an equal cosx/sinx. But at first the questions seem impossible, but they usually follow similar patterns and you'll notice they like the same techniques, so you'll soon get a knack for it, don't worry

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.