Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

https://gyazo.com/10b59ab3b7956b0fe01a256ca7b9c6a0

Can someone please help me, where would the weight of the painter act upon, and would the Centre of Gravity shift towards B?

ReputationRep:
    And would Force B increase to equal the clockwise moments of the weight by the painter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PleasePhysics)

Can someone please help me, where would the weight of the painter act upon, and would the Centre of Gravity shift towards B?
    where would the weight of the painter act upon : err where's he's standing.

ReputationRep:
    Oooops im sorry I forgot to clarify, where would the weight of the painter and the plank be now

ReputationRep:
    Oooops im sorry I forgot to clarify, where would the weight of the painter and the plank be now
    centre of gravity on geometrically shaped objects such as the plank is just the midpoint.

I'd imagine it just shifts to the right because all the man's weight is a on a certain part of plank, imagine he's now just part of the plank so it'd be like a big irregular shape with more mass to the right - the centre of gravity shifts to the right cause there's where he is standing ygm?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just made that up but it seems logical right?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, that's the same conclusion I got to, but however does Force B increase? Because of the Clockwise moments increasing by the mans weight, means to reach equlibrium force B must increase

ReputationRep:
    Ok, that's the same conclusion I got to, but however does Force B increase? Because of the Clockwise moments increasing by the mans weight, means to reach equlibrium force B must increase
    I don't think force B can increase can it? cause noone is applying pressure upwards and there isn't natural force acting upwards since we're not in water and the object is not falling... idk tbh. But you know what it probably can cause idk about physics lol so yah it might increase if for every action there is a reaction, force B most likely does increase.

but wait it's showing force B as existing where the plank is touching the ladder thing, so will it only increase if the man is standing directly over the place where force A is exerted?

I didn't think it was in equilibrium (What does equilibrium mean in this context can you please remind been ages since I did physics GCSE), I thought the man's weight messed that all up and the only reason it hasn't fallen or become unstable etc because his weight was not enough to shift the centre of gravity outside the base of the plank.

ReputationRep:
    xD, equilibrium sounded smart for me to use, Im pretty sure its when its not moving, so when its not rotating in this context. Well Force B must increase to match Force A right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    I don't think force B can increase can it? cause noone is applying pressure upwards and there isn't natural force acting upwards since we're not in water and the object is not falling... idk tbh. But you know what it probably can cause idk about physics lol so yah it might increase if for every action there is a reaction, force B most likely does increase.

but wait it's showing force B as existing where the plank is touching the ladder thing, so will it only increase if the man is standing directly over the place where force A is exerted?

I didn't think it was in equilibrium (What does equilibrium mean in this context can you please remind been ages since I did physics GCSE), I thought the man's weight messed that all up and the only reason it hasn't fallen or become unstable etc because his weight was not enough to shift the centre of gravity outside the base of the plank.
    The upwards force is generated because every action has an equal and opposite reaction- the upwards force balances the force of the weight of the person standing on it
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    Does force b increase?

If one of the two ladders were to give way, which one would it be? It would be B. So there must be a greater force acting on B. Therefore, B must be giving a greater force (equal and opposite forces).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.