Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Single parent of 2 what financial help will i get as student nurse watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey i am going to be studying nursing this september but as a single parent of two does anyone else know roughly what help i will get financially and rough amount each month i will get? I live on my own with my two children thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloemc85)
    Hey i am going to be studying nursing this september but as a single parent of two does anyone else know roughly what help i will get financially and rough amount each month i will get? I live on my own with my two children thank you in advance
    It depends, where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    Northampton

ReputationRep:
    Hello there!

Presuming it's a NHS funded course:

Provided it's a degree course in Nursing or Midwifery, you would be entitled to a Means Tested NHS Bursary and a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England.

PLA, DSA and Child Care Grant may be available from the NHS, but not from SFE, to the best of my knoweldge.

ReputationRep:
    It is an NHS funded course, how can i find out an estimate of how much roughly it will be? Thank you for your reply
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It is an NHS funded course, how can i find out an estimate of how much roughly it will be? Thank you for your reply
    £400 a month then dependants allowance and childcare allowance on top(I think they pay 85% of childcare costs maximum) and then £2.3k a year as a loan.

ReputationRep:
    How much is dependants allowance? Both my children are at school so no need for childcare cost, thank u
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    How much is dependants allowance? Both my children are at school so no need for childcare cost, thank u
    I think it's up to 2.5k for one child and a few hundred if you have a second child. Google NHS bursary calculator it's reasonably accurate

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    You're also exempt from council tax as a full time student and depending on your situation, might be entitled to some housing benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Oh brilliant! Thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.