The Student Room Group

Single parent of 2 what financial help will i get as student nurse

Hey i am going to be studying nursing this september but as a single parent of two does anyone else know roughly what help i will get financially and rough amount each month i will get? I live on my own with my two children thank you in advance
Original post by chloemc85
Hey i am going to be studying nursing this september but as a single parent of two does anyone else know roughly what help i will get financially and rough amount each month i will get? I live on my own with my two children thank you in advance

It depends, where do you live?
Reply 2
Northampton
Hello there!

Presuming it's a NHS funded course:

Provided it's a degree course in Nursing or Midwifery, you would be entitled to a Means Tested NHS Bursary and a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan from Student Finance England.

PLA, DSA and Child Care Grant may be available from the NHS, but not from SFE, to the best of my knoweldge.
Reply 4
It is an NHS funded course, how can i find out an estimate of how much roughly it will be? Thank you for your reply
It is an NHS funded course, how can i find out an estimate of how much roughly it will be? Thank you for your reply

£400 a month then dependants allowance and childcare allowance on top(I think they pay 85% of childcare costs maximum) and then £2.3k a year as a loan.
Reply 6
How much is dependants allowance? Both my children are at school so no need for childcare cost, thank u
How much is dependants allowance? Both my children are at school so no need for childcare cost, thank u

I think it's up to 2.5k for one child and a few hundred if you have a second child. Google NHS bursary calculator it's reasonably accurate :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you!
You're also exempt from council tax as a full time student and depending on your situation, might be entitled to some housing benefit.
Reply 10
Oh brilliant! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending