(Original post by thefatone)
    but the badges are awesome and shiny especially the gold one
    Meh, a badge is a badge

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Meh, a badge is a badge

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but it looks nice? (also a stupid dream which i had since dofe was offered to me and i decided to go through it all and force myself through it)

also about that thing about things not making sense if i don't like it. well i guess that's just like me hating physics and having some homework in for monday but i don't want to do it, i don't find it fun i really never want to do physics ever again BUT i know that the stuff has to be done so i do it. It's a similar thing with dofe
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    but it looks nice? (also a stupid dream which i had since dofe was offered to me and i decided to go through it all and force myself through it)

also about that thing about things not making sense if i don't like it. well i guess that's just like me hating physics and having some homework in for monday but i don't want to do it, i don't find it fun i really never want to do physics ever again BUT i know that the stuff has to be done so i do it. It's a similar thing with dofe
    I guess, but dofe ids is optional

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I guess, but dofe ids is optional

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i know but why do i force myself to go through this bs?

ReputationRep:
    I thought this said 'Do I carry on the Dole'

ReputationRep:
    It seems a common occurrence amongst the teachers at my school is that all the ones i've spoken did and completed gold dofe.

also i did my practise in the west of the lake district i think

lol sorry if i scared you but imagine getting roughly a 10km extension on the 1st and 2nd day then your team rushing you super quick on the 3rd day, not a good combination but i'm sure your expedition will be fine
    Yeah hopefully mine will be less harsh lol. Anyway, I just looked at the Dofe stats and in 2014/15 only 9,848 people got their gold award (http://www.dofe.info/go/stats/) so completing yours will still make you "stand out", if that's something you care about.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision though and good luck with whatever you go with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elena2710)
    Yeah hopefully mine will be less harsh lol. Anyway, I just looked at the Dofe stats and in 2014/15 only 9,848 people got their gold award (http://www.dofe.info/go/stats/) so completing yours will still make you "stand out", if that's something you care about.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision though and good luck with whatever you go with.
    wow, standing out is partially what i want but it's really just the achievement and being proud of completing all 3 awards really

i think i'll probably do it but advice will probably be something i defo need to seek out

ReputationRep:
    I really hope you go!! 4 days of horror won't scar you for life. Also, can't recommend this moisturiser enough as a mosquito/midge repellent: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bottle-Origi...+soft+mosquito
    I went to Scotland last summer and we stayed in midge heaven, I don't remember getting one bite with this spray.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    i know but why do i force myself to go through this bs?
    Fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion Ring)
    I really hope you go!! 4 days of horror won't scar you for life. Also, can't recommend this moisturiser enough as a mosquito/midge repellent: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bottle-Origi...+soft+mosquito
    I went to Scotland last summer and we stayed in midge heaven, I don't remember getting one bite with this spray.
    so do i spray this and rub it in or what? how would i apply this?

ReputationRep:
    so do i spray this and rub it in or what? how would i apply this?
    It was like a spray bottle of oil moisturiser that sank into the skin really quickly, you just spray it on and rub it in so it covers the area. We got it straight from Avon but it might be cheaper off Amazon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onion Ring)
    It was like a spray bottle of oil moisturiser that sank into the skin really quickly, you just spray it on and rub it in so it covers the area. We got it straight from Avon but it might be cheaper off Amazon.
    oh ok i got a recommendation of someone who went on gold expedition last year and they said there was a jungle midge insect spray was very good(contained DEET)

i'll consider both and see which ones cheaper since both parties have told me both their products work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    x
    (Original post by studyranger)
    x
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    x
    (Original post by dipka)
    x
    (Original post by elena2710)
    x
    x

ok so how do i convince my team member that i'm not fine(i.e. i'm ill) and that he was wrong to push me?

So this morning i was in form period where we register in a 20 min time frame. He started talking to me and asked me if i was ok and i said no. He said what's wrong and i said that i have a huge headache, random pains in the lower half of my body especially my calves and my feet are a bit sore aswell as a super sore throat(feels like someone rubbed sandpaper over it -.- ). Then he said you're fine. That annoyed me so much and i asked him in what way am i fine?(i was getting slightly aggressive at this point because i was annoyed i was pushed so hard and they fully well know that i'm no where near their level of fitness.) He said oh you look fine so there's nothing wrong. He couldn't give me a better ****ing argument other than you look fine---> you must be fine. So then i included in the argument the fact that when our group was walking on the main road at about 6km/hour. I told him we had plenty of time left by the time we got there at the train station. His comeback was to say oh, well you need to time to go to the cafe and relax there etc etc. I said back that's not a necessity, going to the cafe at the train station isn't a necessity, i also should've said you can also rest and relax on the train journey back. After that he had nothing to say.
    While this was all happening another one of members of another group spoke up and disagreed with me(there were 3 groups combined into 1 while we went to the train station). I can't see in anyway why they shouldn't listen to me since, i am part of their group, equality not autocracy(what things should be), everyone should have an equal say but apparently it's all up to the fittest people to call all the shots.

Another reason why i had a huge problem was because of this vicious cycle on the dofe expedition

I lag behind because i'm not a fit and slow down---> rest of the group goes ahead---> rest of the group has to wait for me---> once i catch up, my group say oh we don't need a break now/ we were just waiting for you so we're going to set off again---> i don't get a break and i'm even more tired than before---> i lag behind because i'm not fit and slow down.

this repeated cycle killed me and no-one would listen what can i do?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    but the badges are awesome and shiny especially the gold one
    Buy one off ebay

If your sole motivation is for a bit of bling then don't make yourself miserable.

this repeated cycle killed me and no-one would listen what can i do?
    Sit down/stop when you're tired even if they're ahead. They'll have to wait for you either way.

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried walking poles? They will really help take the pressure off your feet.

Change your socks regularly. If you're a bigger guy (side note, I have a handle on a couple of sites as thephatone) you'll have a tendency to sweat more, rub more, etc. Changing your socks every few hours can really help save your feet. The thing you'll notice most is your feet will look like you've been in the bath at the end of the day. That's not good. Talc your feet when you bunk down for the night, and when you change your socks. It'll help stop them hurting (and socks don't weigh a lot. Could even buy some really cheap ones to bin at the end of it)

Unfortunately, if you have a deadline to meet whilst walking, you've kind of got to keep up or hold your hands up.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Donkey******)
    Have you tried walking poles? They will really help take the pressure off your feet.

Change your socks regularly. If you're a bigger guy (side note, I have a handle on a couple of sites as thephatone) you'll have a tendency to sweat more, rub more, etc. Changing your socks every few hours can really help save your feet. The thing you'll notice most is your feet will look like you've been in the bath at the end of the day. That's not good. Talc your feet when you bunk down for the night, and when you change your socks. It'll help stop them hurting (and socks don't weigh a lot. Could even buy some really cheap ones to bin at the end of it)

Unfortunately, if you have a deadline to meet whilst walking, you've kind of got to keep up or hold your hands up.
    Good shout

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are doing DofE for your UCAS personal statement then don't do it. For universities like Oxbridge they prefer it if you spend your time researching the subject area you wan to do a degree in as they believe academic performance is more important than extracurricular activities that may be irrelevant for the course you want to do. However, if you have completed your volunteering, physical and skill sections then you are nearly done and I wouldn't recommend giving up!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.