Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do i go and carry on Dofe (important need opinions)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My group did similar to yours, we used the wrong measurements for our map and ended up doing 23km in the practice. Trust me you will not make that mistake again!!! we checked our maps and route cards for the real expedition loads of times to make sure that we were doing the correct distance. Gold is very tough both physically and mentally but if you pull through it and finish its the greatest feeling.

We completed ours in the French Pyrenees last summer in temperatures of 30+ degrees C!! of course the group falls out, there are arguments and tears but it is an experience that I will remember for all of the good reasons and the amazing memories that I have made. I say sit down with your group and have a long chat, what went wrong and how can you correct it for the real expedition, if it still feels like it wont work then don't do it, but if I were you I would try to complete it, you have come so far already!

Do it!! If you don't do it now, that horrible experience in your practice one will have been for nothing. If you got through that you can get through one more so you may as well do it and get something out of it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    Another reason why i had a huge problem was because of this vicious cycle on the dofe expedition

I lag behind because i'm not a fit and slow down---> rest of the group goes ahead---> rest of the group has to wait for me---> once i catch up, my group say oh we don't need a break now/ we were just waiting for you so we're going to set off again---> i don't get a break and i'm even more tired than before---> i lag behind because i'm not fit and slow down.

this repeated cycle killed me and no-one would listen what can i do?
    I had this exactly!! It is very difficult because i didn't want to let the group down but then again I needed a break! Just train, train, train!! and do stop and take breaks (they will have to wait for you) but don't be ridiculous and take a break every 15 minutes! i found it better to take more frequent short breaks, like 5-10 minutes every hour and if we didn't need a break we kept going.

Oh and never ever ever stop halfway up a big climb! push yourself no matter how much it hurts until you get to the top with no breaks, you can then have a well deserved break at the top!

ReputationRep:
    ok so how do i convince my team member that i'm not fine(i.e. i'm ill) and that he was wrong to push me?

So this morning i was in form period where we register in a 20 min time frame. He started talking to me and asked me if i was ok and i said no. He said what's wrong and i said that i have a huge headache, random pains in the lower half of my body especially my calves and my feet are a bit sore aswell as a super sore throat(feels like someone rubbed sandpaper over it -.- ). Then he said you're fine. That annoyed me so much and i asked him in what way am i fine?(i was getting slightly aggressive at this point because i was annoyed i was pushed so hard and they fully well know that i'm no where near their level of fitness.) He said oh you look fine so there's nothing wrong. He couldn't give me a better ****ing argument other than you look fine---> you must be fine. So then i included in the argument the fact that when our group was walking on the main road at about 6km/hour. I told him we had plenty of time left by the time we got there at the train station. His comeback was to say oh, well you need to time to go to the cafe and relax there etc etc. I said back that's not a necessity, going to the cafe at the train station isn't a necessity, i also should've said you can also rest and relax on the train journey back. After that he had nothing to say.
    While this was all happening another one of members of another group spoke up and disagreed with me(there were 3 groups combined into 1 while we went to the train station). I can't see in anyway why they shouldn't listen to me since, i am part of their group, equality not autocracy(what things should be), everyone should have an equal say but apparently it's all up to the fittest people to call all the shots.

Another reason why i had a huge problem was because of this vicious cycle on the dofe expedition

I lag behind because i'm not a fit and slow down---> rest of the group goes ahead---> rest of the group has to wait for me---> once i catch up, my group say oh we don't need a break now/ we were just waiting for you so we're going to set off again---> i don't get a break and i'm even more tired than before---> i lag behind because i'm not fit and slow down.

this repeated cycle killed me and no-one would listen what can i do?
    nothing.

unfortunately what the majority want will probably win out over one single person's needs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Buy one off ebay

If your sole motivation is for a bit of bling then don't make yourself miserable.

Sit down/stop when you're tired even if they're ahead. They'll have to wait for you either way.
    But just a badge doesn't really mean anything unless you have had to work hard for it right? Surely me buying a badge is meaningless but earning one, now that's a different story.

hmmm i don't really know about this one because i do't want to seem too much like a knob by forcing my team to stop... but then again i do need a break. Only problem is my team will hate me for it ;/

(Original post by Donkey******)
    Have you tried walking poles? They will really help take the pressure off your feet.

Change your socks regularly. If you're a bigger guy (side note, I have a handle on a couple of sites as thephatone) you'll have a tendency to sweat more, rub more, etc. Changing your socks every few hours can really help save your feet. The thing you'll notice most is your feet will look like you've been in the bath at the end of the day. That's not good. Talc your feet when you bunk down for the night, and when you change your socks. It'll help stop them hurting (and socks don't weigh a lot. Could even buy some really cheap ones to bin at the end of it)

Unfortunately, if you have a deadline to meet whilst walking, you've kind of got to keep up or hold your hands up.
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Good shout

Posted from TSR Mobile

yea i had a walking stick and it helped me soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much it was so unbelievable. They're so useful, you can check in mud and all that good stuff etc. I think i'll get 2 for the real expedition since i felt that just 1 wasn't enough.

(Original post by Americandream)
    If you are doing DofE for your UCAS personal statement then don't do it. For universities like Oxbridge they prefer it if you spend your time researching the subject area you wan to do a degree in as they believe academic performance is more important than extracurricular activities that may be irrelevant for the course you want to do. However, if you have completed your volunteering, physical and skill sections then you are nearly done and I wouldn't recommend giving up!
    Ah yes i see you have a red bar :O This is definitely something i've heard but really it's just another thing i want to add to my list of achievements I know that demanding unis such as Oxford and Cambridge really focus more on studies and subjects taken than extra curricular stuff. But i guess bringing this to my attention is useful .

ReputationRep:
    Your should carry on i droped out and sort of regret it

Basically after a horrendous dofe gold practice i'm really genuinely considering dropping out.

Our first day was supposed to be 19km and it turned out we actually had to walk 29km

2nd day was supposed to be the easiest day at 11.9 km but it was 27km long also 1000m total climb where we went up hart felt mountain?(think that's what it's called. Then a night of wild camping

3rd day initially ok and was 17km but near the end my team were really bad since they joined up with 2 other groups and went upon a route specifically told not to do by one of the teachers. We went 6km/hour while on the road to the train station where we were supposed to get there by 12:30am according to the rest of the groups and somehow i wasn't informed of this. It was supposed to be a relaxing day apparently not. Because no-one unless they're a ****king big man can they stop a group of about 21 ppl walking towards the train station. All i got out of it was a terrible crippling walk speed of about 3km/hour and the whole of the 3 groups besides a few were shunning me for going too slow. Plus through all this **** that i got i ****ing did training too a 5 km run every Saturday and a short run around my local park(without stopping) to help increase my stamina.

So about that 3km/hour thing i basically got a wound and it opened a bit (u know the little crinkly bits of skin on the Achilles tendon near the heel? basically that bit opened a bit and since my boots and socks were soaking with water since my team decided to go through a super wet marsh where your feet would sink in mud all the way up to your ankles so you'd have to be careful if you didn't want to drown in mud. So essentially my ankles were stinging the whole way and i'd say 3km/hour was pretty good for an injury like that. I also had the other classic things like super achey shoulders and tired legs and the lot. But i feel like i have no control over any of the group since everyone thinks so low of me because i was really unfit. I don't understand my group because one second they complement saying "oh you're doing so well keep going you can do it all that bs" then the next is "wtf are you doing you're so slow hurry up etc and the rest of it" so what can i do? Like i definitely see one of my other team members ankles and they were no where near as bad as mine and i have other ppl of other dofe groups in the boarding house too and the ankles appeared fine so i'm assuming everyone elses ankles and feet and my group were ok compared to mine.

The reason my group had to walk all this was because someone who was formerly in my group left and did days 1 and 2 on the maps and the route cards. Thing is though the problem was partly due to ex member but also the teachers fault because they gave us the wrong maps and said even though we asked so kindly and even though we were right the teachers said that we still had to follow the route on the MAP not ROUTE CARDS. What can i do? I'm being seriously serious about this because in Scotland where there's midges galore when it's Summer time(yes that's where we're going on our actual gold, plus it's 4 days and 2 nights) and the fact that things'll be hell up there should i really do gold?

The total of roughly 71km in total killed me especially when sleeping in a sleeping bag doesn't help to recover your shoulders and achey feet.

Tl;DR My team walked a distance way further than planned. 3rd day my team rushed me at a rate of 6km/hour and i got an injury roughly on my Achilles tendon area and IMO it was a lot worse than other ppls ankles and feet area. My team has a weird system of complementing and "encouragement". Reason my team walked super far was because and ex member did the maps and the teachers ****ed up distributing maps. All in all the question is DO I CARRY ON WITH GOLD? especially after that horrendous experience.

Edit: Someone sway me either side, i'm a pessimist so i'll play devils advocate and ask why or not i should or shouldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemur4)
    My group did similar to yours, we used the wrong measurements for our map and ended up doing 23km in the practice. Trust me you will not make that mistake again!!! we checked our maps and route cards for the real expedition loads of times to make sure that we were doing the correct distance. Gold is very tough both physically and mentally but if you pull through it and finish its the greatest feeling.

We completed ours in the French Pyrenees last summer in temperatures of 30+ degrees C!! of course the group falls out, there are arguments and tears but it is an experience that I will remember for all of the good reasons and the amazing memories that I have made. I say sit down with your group and have a long chat, what went wrong and how can you correct it for the real expedition, if it still feels like it wont work then don't do it, but if I were you I would try to complete it, you have come so far already!
    lol it was sorta sabotage from and ex member and a huge mistake on the teachers part by dishing out the wrong maps

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Do it!! If you don't do it now, that horrible experience in your practice one will have been for nothing. If you got through that you can get through one more so you may as well do it and get something out of it!
    hmmmmmmmmm .....

(Original post by Lemur4)
    I had this exactly!! It is very difficult because i didn't want to let the group down but then again I needed a break! Just train, train, train!! and do stop and take breaks (they will have to wait for you) but don't be ridiculous and take a break every 15 minutes! i found it better to take more frequent short breaks, like 5-10 minutes every hour and if we didn't need a break we kept going.

Oh and never ever ever stop halfway up a big climb! push yourself no matter how much it hurts until you get to the top with no breaks, you can then have a well deserved break at the top!
    i have trained quite a bit but i guess i need to do it a bit more... also the dilemma is do i keep my sanity and take regular breaks and keep walking like you suggested or do i push myself to the breaking point? (where i keep walking and walking basically)
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    nothing.

unfortunately what the majority want will probably win out over one single person's needs
    I can forcibly stop them like someone earlier suggested and my team would hate me but is that the right thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleks2001)
    You should carry on, i dropped out and sort of regret it
    fify

that's a nice long reply ^-^

i guess that makes sense it's thing i life which i don't do which i'll rgret

ReputationRep:
    I can forcibly stop them like someone earlier suggested and my team would hate me but is that the right thing to do?
    if they're walking at a reasonable pace you need to keep up really, and if they all hate you you're going to have a miserable time anyway, I would work on keeping up with them and then you can have breaks when they have them... the other thing might be to try and make better friends with people and be more positive so that if you have to ask people to stop they might be more amenable to the idea than if someone grumpy they don't like much said it

ReputationRep:
    if they're walking at a reasonable pace you need to keep up really, and if they all hate you you're going to have a miserable time anyway, I would work on keeping up with them and then you can have breaks when they have them... the other thing might be to try and make better friends with people and be more positive so that if you have to ask people to stop they might be more amenable to the idea than if someone grumpy they don't like much said it
    thing is 1 person in my group always was so motivated to get to the end of the expedition, he always kept tell us, guys we need to keep on moving so we can finish this, at the time we were supposed to have a 10 min break he cut it short by 8 mins and forced us to carry on. Thing is everyone else can deal with it whereas i can't. Also we're doing a stupid ridiculous pace for the distance we did. we always were the 3rd group to arrive at the camp site but whereas we had distances of just under 30km other groups had distances like 15km and 17km.

Thing is i always tried my best to be upbeat and happy and tried my best to bargain with the group and tell the to kindly slow down and let me take breaks but my team just wouldn't have any of it

ReputationRep:
    thing is 1 person in my group always was so motivated to get to the end of the expedition, he always kept tell us, guys we need to keep on moving so we can finish this, at the time we were supposed to have a 10 min break he cut it short by 8 mins and forced us to carry on. Thing is everyone else can deal with it whereas i can't. Also we're doing a stupid ridiculous pace for the distance we did. we always were the 3rd group to arrive at the camp site but whereas we had distances of just under 30km other groups had distances like 15km and 17km.

Thing is i always tried my best to be upbeat and happy and tried my best to bargain with the group and tell the to kindly slow down and let me take breaks but my team just wouldn't have any of it
    if it's a possibility could you try and switch groups? or speak to whoever is organising it about the pace being too fast (if you think they're being unreasonable, I'm trying to think what the DofE group where I work is doing pacewise, 4-5kmph? maybe?) and see if they can intervene

the problem is that if you have a loud overbearing personality people won't challenge them if they insist on carrying on and the only way to overpower that is to be louder, more overbearing but still likeable which is a pretty tall order, so you probably need to accept it

ReputationRep:
    X.
    There's been too many posts since I last read this for me to quote them all, I will try and answer everything, if theres anything I forget then ask!

So-dealing with problems with team members. Could you talk to teachers at school? You could just ask them for advice on what to do, then you go and talk to your team after that, the teacher doesn't have to end up talking to them and get you known for 'telling tales' etc.. Just the teacher will know the students in your group better than I do, so hopefully be able to help.
    Or, when you meet as a group with the teacher (if you don't the teacher could arrange it after you speak to them) and then get them to subitally talk about things like pace and distance, without naming you it will make the group think about it.

Poles are a great idea, Whenever I go walking I use 2 (when I'm not using crutches because of a injury like I am now). The really help me so you should try them, could you try them before you next walk with your group? So you can decide if their right for you, could even just be walk round the streets not out in the wild anywhere. I remember it took me a while to work out the movement that I preferred.

DofE is something you should do and be proud of achieving. so whoever suggested buying the badge I'm glad that you didn't like that as a suggestion. I still think you have more reasons to want to finish than you do problems, so I really hope you complete it and earn that badge!

ReputationRep:
    if it's a possibility could you try and switch groups? or speak to whoever is organising it about the pace being too fast (if you think they're being unreasonable, I'm trying to think what the DofE group where I work is doing pacewise, 4-5kmph? maybe?) and see if they can intervene

the problem is that if you have a loud overbearing personality people won't challenge them if they insist on carrying on and the only way to overpower that is to be louder, more overbearing but still likeable which is a pretty tall order, so you probably need to accept it
    Things is all the other groups won't care about me since no-one of them really like me..... they just refuse to have me in a group so yea..... also other groups plan super long routes and tons of uphill which means death for me. 4-5km.hour is what my group was doing on the expedition which ruined my physical body >.>

meh i accept it but i just want some breaks, since a chain is only a strong as its weakest link

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipka)
    There's been too many posts since I last read this for me to quote them all, I will try and answer everything, if theres anything I forget then ask!

So-dealing with problems with team members. Could you talk to teachers at school? You could just ask them for advice on what to do, then you go and talk to your team after that, the teacher doesn't have to end up talking to them and get you known for 'telling tales' etc.. Just the teacher will know the students in your group better than I do, so hopefully be able to help.
    Or, when you meet as a group with the teacher (if you don't the teacher could arrange it after you speak to them) and then get them to subitally talk about things like pace and distance, without naming you it will make the group think about it.

Poles are a great idea, Whenever I go walking I use 2 (when I'm not using crutches because of a injury like I am now). The really help me so you should try them, could you try them before you next walk with your group? So you can decide if their right for you, could even just be walk round the streets not out in the wild anywhere. I remember it took me a while to work out the movement that I preferred.

DofE is something you should do and be proud of achieving. so whoever suggested buying the badge I'm glad that you didn't like that as a suggestion. I still think you have more reasons to want to finish than you do problems, so I really hope you complete it and earn that badge!
    1. sorry not a possibility at all
    2. the group will know it's me
    3. i do have 1 pole but i think 2 is better so i'm gonna get another one soon
    4. *cough* PQ *cough* but earning it gives meaning to the object. You can associate something with it.

ReputationRep:
    1. sorry not a possibility at all
    2. the group will know it's me
    3. i do have 1 pole but i think 2 is better so i'm gonna get another one soon
    4. *cough* PQ *cough* but earning it gives meaning to the object. You can associate something with it.
    Why can you not talk to teachers?
    And, you never know. If you find a understanding teacher they can be very clever.

ReputationRep:
    Things is all the other groups won't care about me since no-one of them really like me..... they just refuse to have me in a group so yea..... also other groups plan super long routes and tons of uphill which means death for me. 4-5km.hour is what my group was doing on the expedition which ruined my physical body >.>

meh i accept it but i just want some breaks, since a chain is only a strong as its weakest link
    unfortunately your group doesn't seem to care about how strong the chain is, they just want to complete the walk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dipka)
    Why can you not talk to teachers?
    And, you never know. If you find a understanding teacher they can be very clever.

They don't understand the struggles of being a fat f**k who is super unfit since they've pretty much been enjoying walking in the mountains every weekend >.> i definitely heard a teacher who told our group this while we were on the expedition.

unfortunately your group doesn't seem to care about how strong the chain is, they just want to complete the walk
    yea no-one actually cares about the group, it's just about completing the walk and enduring it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.