Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I've been looking into the GDL as a route into law. I hope to start this September and I am currently considering several places. If anyone has any suggestions whether I should go for somewhere like BPP/UoL or a university such as Oxford Brookes/Nottingham Trent then that would help me too!

I am wondering whether I should take the course part or full-time. I have heard it is quite intensive and I hope to hold down my current part-time job (30 hours a week) to help pay for expenses. For both these reasons I have been leaning more towards part-time study as I wouldn't mind spacing the course over two years. I'm hoping to get any input about whether this would be a dumb idea, as a few days ago I came across a thread where someone stated firms may look down on part-time GDL if you didn't have good reason (a full-time job?). If true then I guess I should go full-time.

Any help much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to bump but looking for some ideas.

I've been going back and forth between deciding on whether to take graduate entry LLB or GDL. The biggest barrier I'm having with the LLB is cost (9k/year + accommodation as no local providers) so I've decided to apply for both the GDL and LLB, then decide at a later date. I'm still having trouble on deciding whether to apply for the GDL part-time or not. If I decide to take the GDL I will be aiming for a commendation at minimum, so I am a little worried that this may be difficult to do on a full-time basis, especially if I'm working. I've read stories about exams for the full-time GDL being back-to-back in one week. This sounds like a nightmare! The part-time option appeals to me more, but I have read in multiple places that future employers may expect those who took the part-time course to have been working full-time. In that case should I suck it up and dive right in to the full-time route?

Any ideas welcome!

ReputationRep:
    This is something that many people would like to know as well. Good questions Neptuner.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to hear some experiences from full-time and part-time GDL students as well. I'm in full-time employment but looking for a change so trying to weight up the pros and cons of both options. With full-time I would take myself out of work for a year plus then have to take on loans to support myself and cover the course fee, but it would be done in a year, albeit an intense and painful year. With part time I could probably hold on to my job so wouldn't be so horrendously out of pocket at the end of it, but it would mean two intense and painful years with a full-time job and dedicating any free time to studying. Neither option is going to be particularly cushy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.