The Student Room Group

White Privilege

Discuss below:

I personally believe it does.
You are entitled to your opinion and please do not get too into the discussion, thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yup, those white homeless, jobless people on the dole in the streets certainly are enjoying their white privilege aren't they?
It does to a certain extent here but it seems worse in the US.
Reply 3
Original post by WBZ144

Tell us how then.
Original post by WBZ144

enlighten us ...
Original post by wdkmwd
Tell us how then.

Many examples, such as the fact that no one cares when a bomb goes off in Mali, Nigeria, Turkey etc. But if it happens in Europe, the USA, Australia and so forth everyone in the world is expected to mourn.

In fact, what it takes for people to pretend to care is a White person bemoaning the tragedies. The Kony 2012 fallacy is a good example.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by WBZ144
Many examples, such as the fact that no one cares when a bomb goes off in Mali, Nigeria, Turkey etc.

In fact, what it takes for people to pretend to care is a White person bemoaning the tragedies. The Kony 2012 fallacy is a good example.

I agree.
Reply 7
Original post by WBZ144
Many examples, such as the fact that no one cares when a bomb goes off in Mali, Nigeria, Turkey etc.

Right. So an example of white privilege is the amount of news coverage a MAJOR city like Paris gets when tragedies that occur ONCE in a Lifetime take place, in comparison to the low amount of news reporting of a bomb blast going off in a third world country for the 4th time in one week.

Noted. Really fair and valid point my dear.
Reply 8
It's Bull ****. I'm 21 and still haven't won an Oscar.
I think that white privilege does exist- I mean look at that dylan roof story.
Original post by WBZ144

I just think people care more about what can affect them. Take for example ISIS and BOKO HARAM, boko killed more people than ISIS but the media and people still care more about isis because it is something that can actually affect them.

Anyway what has that got to do with white privilege? Theres cases of attacks often in other countries but people dont care. Thats how it goes. I'm sure that in Asia or Africa when there is something somewhat significant happening in europe they dont care,
Original post by wdkmwd
Yup, those white homeless, jobless people on the dole in the streets certainly are enjoying their white privilege aren't they?

white privilege doesn't mean that...
Reply 12
Original post by loveleest
white privilege doesn't mean that...

" White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit people identified as white in Western countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances."

Please read a book.
Original post by wdkmwd
Right. So an example of white privilege is the amount of news coverage a MAJOR city like Paris gets when tragedies that occur ONCE in a Lifetime take place, in comparison to the low amount of news reporting of a bomb blast going off in a third world country for the 4th time in one week.

Noted. Really fair and valid point my dear.

Yes, a very valid point indeed because you just proved it.

People are too ignorant to realise that major cities in these countries were attacked as well and that some of these "third world countries" that have been attacked were actually stable countries where this is rare. People are too uneducated to even tell the difference between these countries, all that comes to mind is that they are "third world". When the Taliban murders a whole school of children few people care for Christ's sake. Of course it is White privilege, your mentality enforces that.
What do you guys think of young black men being innocently shot down by police forces in the US?
Original post by wdkmwd
" White privilege (or white skin privilege) is a term for societal privileges that benefit people identified as white in Western countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances."

Please read a book.

Just because white homeless people exist, doesn't mean that white privilege doesn't exist. Stop being so dense.

Have you not heard of the Dylan Roof situation?
In England at least it's fast becoming a disadvantage to be white
[QUOTE="WBZ144;63521955"]Yes, a very valid point indeed because you just proved it.

People are too ignorant to realise that major cities in these countries were attacked as well and that some of these "third world countries" that have been attacked were actually stable countries where this is rare. People are too uneducated to even tell the difference between these countries, all that comes to mind is that they are "third world". When the Taliban murders a whole school of children few people care for Christ's sake. Of course it is White privilege, your mentality enforces that.[/QUOTE

There was a case one after the Ferguson shooting that a white guy was shot. No one seemed to care....
Original post by looktoyourright
I just think people care more about what can affect them. Take for example ISIS and BOKO HARAM, boko killed more people than ISIS but the media and people still care more about isis because it is something that can actually affect them.

Anyway what has that got to do with white privilege? Theres cases of attacks often in other countries but people dont care. Thats how it goes. I'm sure that in Asia or Africa when there is something somewhat significant happening in europe they dont care,

Did you not notice how when these things happen in Western nations pretty much every country send a representative over to take part in the mourning and offer their condolences? And no, there are worldwide vigils when there is an attack in Europe or the US, everyone is expected to care.
Reply 19
I think the idea of white privilege is dangerous and forcing a racial divide.
It tells people of colour not to bother trying as you will not succeed which causes people of colour not to succeed, that then makes it look like people are being held back causing a cycle that creates the divide.

Quick Reply

Latest