Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightybis0n)
    Why does it have to be this way though? Shouldn't whites get a say on who should come into THEIR country?As liberals like to point out, then was a different time. Strong>weak. What would have happened if the colonials hadn't arrived? That the indigenous population would advance at the pace the colonials did? Incredibly unlikely.No, it would be based on pride in their fellow countrymen. In the UK other races do not integrate and immerse themselves in their own cultures, all apart. They do not mix, they do not treat each other the way countrymen should.That's not a definition in the slightest. If you mean more likely to be associated with crime, there's a valid reason for that. 13% of the US population is black, yet they commit over 50% of the violent crime.http://www.amren.com/news/2015/07/ne...violent-crime/
    I am a person of colour born into a "white country". I speak fluent English, go to university, and have a job. I am an integrated and functional member of my society. I also feel pride in my country, and fellow countrymen, regardless of their (or my own) race. However, I still get called racial slurs --which doesn't seem like a big deal, but whites wouldn't have to deal with this because of the race they were born with. It isn't as if a white person did any sort of difficult or special task to be born white, and in this way, it is a privilege.
    I never asked to be a person of colour, but I am.
    Do you think that I should go back to the country of origin of my ancestors and learn their languages, culture, and ways of life instead of staying here?
    I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject, but I know that I sure as hell am not privileged for being Asian -- and that you are privileged for being white.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottlemilk)
    I am a person of colour born into a "white country". I speak fluent English, go to university, and have a job. I am an integrated and functional member of my society. I also feel pride in my country, and fellow countrymen, regardless of their (or my own) race. However, I still get called racial slurs --which doesn't seem like a big deal, but whites wouldn't have to deal with this because of the race they were born with. It isn't as if a white person did any sort of difficult or special task to be born white, and in this way, it is a privilege.
    I never asked to be a person of colour, but I am.
    Do you think that I should go back to the country of origin of my ancestors and learn their languages, culture, and ways of life instead of staying here?
    I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject, but I know that I sure as hell am not privileged for being Asian -- and that you are privileged for being white.
    No need for quotes around 'white country'. The UK is a white country.

I am speaking generally, there will always be outliers. Any foreigner who works, pays tax and is not a criminal, I (and I imagine many UKIP/right-wing types) have no problem with it. At all.

Hate to break it to you, but white privilege doesn't exist. Am I supposed to go around with some kind of racial label or shame just for being white? No thanks.

There will always be racists who are ignorant, and if I went to Africa/Turkey I expect I would be the target of racial slurs as well. Doesn't make it okay, but that's life.

ReputationRep:
    I once had "YOU ENGLISH *******!!!" screamed at me out of the window of a passing vehicle by a fellow white person(a Scotsman).

Should I have followed modern PC guidelines and reported him for xenophobic behavior?

ReputationRep:

I am speaking generally, there will always be outliers. Any foreigner who works, pays tax and is not a criminal, I (and I imagine many UKIP/right-wing types) have no problem with it. At all.

Hate to break it to you, but white privilege doesn't exist. Am I supposed to go around with some kind of racial label or shame just for being white? No thanks.

There will always be racists who are ignorant, and if I went to Africa/Turkey I expect I would be the target of racial slurs as well. Doesn't make it okay, but that's life.
    Hehe, to be clear, I'm actually a citizen of Canada. I came across this site/thread while looking for time management tips...

ReputationRep:
    Why does it have to be this way though? Shouldn't whites get a say on who should come into THEIR country?

As liberals like to point out, then was a different time. Strong>weak. What would have happened if the colonials hadn't arrived? That the indigenous population would advance at the pace the colonials did? Incredibly unlikely.

No, it would be based on pride in their fellow countrymen. In the UK other races do not integrate and immerse themselves in their own cultures, all apart. They do not mix, they do not treat each other the way countrymen should.

That's not a definition in the slightest. If you mean more likely to be associated with crime, there's a valid reason for that. 13% of the US population is black, yet they commit over 50% of the violent crime.

http://www.amren.com/news/2015/07/ne...violent-crime/
    Brits integrate so well when they move to Spain, the UAE, and other countries where they like to refer to themselves as "expats" as opposed to migrants, which they really are. So well that they expect everyone to speak English, only hang around their fellow countrymen and are always expecting their lifestyle to be accommodated. Should those countries stop allowing arrogant Brits who refuse to integrate in?

ReputationRep:

Where in Africa? You do realise that Africa is an entire, diverse continent and not a country, so that it's ignorant to generalise a whole continent? And yes, of course you will be targetted! People hate Whites so much that women bleach their skin because they think it will look more beautiful. In the majority of African countries you can strut around like those gap year students who go over there working for so-called "charities" and thinking that they are the best thing that ever happened to the locals. No one gives them any grief. And what is your authority that Turks hate Whites?

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the Mediterranean area and I know that whites are not oppressed. I also know that white privilege exists but I have been oppressed by it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Brits integrate so well when they move to Spain, the UAE, and other countries where they like to refer to themselves as "expats" as opposed to migrants, which they really are. So well that they expect everyone to speak English, only hang around their fellow countrymen and are always expecting their lifestyle to be accommodated. Should those countries stop allowing arrogant Brits who refuse to integrate in?
    Although you have a valid point in fairness the Spanish Costas would be fuc*ked economically without them.

ReputationRep:
    So this thread is going exactly as expected...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.