Turn on thread page Beta

Finance degree for employability? Or is Accounting and Finance better? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am planning on studying Finance at university. It doesn't seem to be a popular subject, especially in comparison to Accounting, or Accounting and Finance. Why is that? Is Finance a useful degree to have?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by ImNotSuperman)
    I am planning on studying Finance at university. It doesn't seem to be a popular subject, especially in comparison to Accounting, or Accounting and Finance. Why is that? Is Finance a useful degree to have?
    Doesn't really matter, imo. However some A&F degrees do have accounting exam exemptions so do look out for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Doesn't really matter, imo. However some A&F degrees do have accounting exam exemptions so do look out for that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the reply, I tried to rep you but I've repped you recently apparently.

Could you elaborate on the accounting exam exemptions please?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks for the reply, I tried to rep you but I've repped you recently apparently.

Could you elaborate on the accounting exam exemptions please?
    Basically, you have to study for and sit a series of exams to 'qualify' as an accountant. By studying accounting, and by virtue sitting accounting exams at uni, you could exempt yourself from sitting a few of the accounting exams required to achieved qualified accountant status.

ReputationRep:
    I do A+F and we get quite a lot of ACCA exemptions.

A+F ftw.

ReputationRep:
    As others have said you get exemption from certain exams if you do Accounting. However what matters more for employability is what you have to offer- in terms of work experience and soft skills.

ReputationRep:
    I recommend you do Business management degree its quite broad degree alongside the professional Accounting qualification as they are regarded highly and many Accounting students study them after they finish University or alongside their degree studies.
    Which one you choose is up to you AAT (Accounting technician) ACCA ( for charted accounting) or CIMA ( for charted management accountant ) hope this helps.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.