Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm really unwilling to self diagnose or anything but this is what makes me think something is wrong. No matter how hard I try to study or do anything that requires attention for a long amount of time I'm completely unable to do it. I get filled with this kind of nervous energy and my mind is always elsewhere and this makes it impossible to concentrate. However I don't think I'm hyperactive as I'm really not sporty and either really energetic or really tired. I've tried all possible revision or concentration techniques but nothing seems to work so I'm starting to think somethings wrong with me. However I am quite sensible at school and always get really good grades regardless of revision so nobody notices anything wrong and nobody is taking seriously how much I am struggling and now at a levels it will be a big problem because I can't get by on natural ability. I don't know what to do because it is making me really worried for my future and I wanted to know whether I should see someone and if so, who? I don't want people to think I'm overreacting and am just lazy because I'm not lazy and I know that's certainly what my parents will say so I would rather leave them out of it.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, my situation is pretty much exactly the same as yours, so I definitely feel for you .

First off, you don't need to be hyperactive to have ADHD as there are two main types, inattentive (which is similar to what you've described - used to be known as ADD) and hyperactive (which is being more impulsive, not being able to sit still, etc). You can also have a combined type which has both of these symptoms.

Regardless of the cause, it definitely sounds like you have some issues with concentrating so it would be good to perhaps go to your GP about it.

Like I said I was in a really similar position to you (and am still struggling with it), and spoke to CAMHS (children & adolescent mental health services) about it. My counsellor told me the tricky thing is these symptoms of not being able to concentrate etc can be side effects of many other things. Distraction/inability to focus can be a side effect of depression, for example, and forgetfulness can even be from things like PTSD. It can also just be plain old stress (although when it persists even in periods of little to no stress, it's probably something more.) I'm still not sure how to feel about his advice - I think that a lot of people automatically dismiss concerns about things like ADHD if you get good grades or/and aren't bouncing off of the walls.

Still, my advice would be to talk to your GP who could point you in the right direction. Or maybe a mentor at school? For either of those, your parents wouldn't need to be involved.

You could also look at blogs about ADHD online, as even if you don't have it, a lot of the techniques used by people with ADHD etc to help concentration/memory might be of use to you, I've used them a lot. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimjambles)
    Wow, my situation is pretty much exactly the same as yours, so I definitely feel for you .

First off, you don't need to be hyperactive to have ADHD as there are two main types, inattentive (which is similar to what you've described - used to be known as ADD) and hyperactive (which is being more impulsive, not being able to sit still, etc). You can also have a combined type which has both of these symptoms.

Regardless of the cause, it definitely sounds like you have some issues with concentrating so it would be good to perhaps go to your GP about it.

Like I said I was in a really similar position to you (and am still struggling with it), and spoke to CAMHS (children & adolescent mental health services) about it. My counsellor told me the tricky thing is these symptoms of not being able to concentrate etc can be side effects of many other things. Distraction/inability to focus can be a side effect of depression, for example, and forgetfulness can even be from things like PTSD. It can also just be plain old stress (although when it persists even in periods of little to no stress, it's probably something more.) I'm still not sure how to feel about his advice - I think that a lot of people automatically dismiss concerns about things like ADHD if you get good grades or/and aren't bouncing off of the walls.

Still, my advice would be to talk to your GP who could point you in the right direction. Or maybe a mentor at school? For either of those, your parents wouldn't need to be involved.

You could also look at blogs about ADHD online, as even if you don't have it, a lot of the techniques used by people with ADHD etc to help concentration/memory might be of use to you, I've used them a lot. Good luck!
    Wow, great advice thanks I suppose I was just worried that it wasn't serious enough to be seeing a doctor for. Sorry for asking but how did your case turn out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotDot...)
    So I'm really unwilling to self diagnose or anything but this is what makes me think something is wrong. No matter how hard I try to study or do anything that requires attention for a long amount of time I'm completely unable to do it. I get filled with this kind of nervous energy and my mind is always elsewhere and this makes it impossible to concentrate. However I don't think I'm hyperactive as I'm really not sporty and either really energetic or really tired. I've tried all possible revision or concentration techniques but nothing seems to work so I'm starting to think somethings wrong with me. However I am quite sensible at school and always get really good grades regardless of revision so nobody notices anything wrong and nobody is taking seriously how much I am struggling and now at a levels it will be a big problem because I can't get by on natural ability. I don't know what to do because it is making me really worried for my future and I wanted to know whether I should see someone and if so, who? I don't want people to think I'm overreacting and am just lazy because I'm not lazy and I know that's certainly what my parents will say so I would rather leave them out of it.

Me too. Actually seeing a doctor about it next week.

Got good grades but considering my great memory I never understood why I had work so much harder than others to 'learn' things. I also didn't seem to pick up as much in lessons as others. I'm clearly not dyslexic or anything like that.

I also have many of the other characteristics and symptoms.

See a doctor. Stimulant drugs and/or therapy of some kind may be the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Me too. Actually seeing a doctor about it next week.

I got good grades but considering my great memory I never understood why I had work so much harder than others to 'learn' things. I also didn't seem to pick up as much in lessons as others.

I also have many of the other characteristics and symptoms.

See a doctor. Stimulant drugs and/or therapy of some kind may be the way forward.

Thanks for the advice please could you let me know how your appointment goes? Cause I'm probably going book one based on current advice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice please could you let me know how your appointment goes? Cause I'm probably going book one based on current advice

Sure.

This has really come to my attention in the last few weeks or so.

I did some research and everything just fits.

Will send you some of the info I have read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Sure.

This has really come to my attention in the last few weeks or so.

I did some research and everything just fits.
    Will send you some of the info I have read.

Great, thanks that would be really helpful trouble is I'm not really a problem child so not sure how they're gonna see the symptoms if no one else has

ReputationRep:
    Wow, great advice thanks I suppose I was just worried that it wasn't serious enough to be seeing a doctor for. Sorry for asking but how did your case turn out?
    No worries, glad I could be of help! GPs are there to help you with your worries, and thankfully we're blessed with free healthcare, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Even if it's not the answer you were expecting, it'll probably be beneficial in one way or another - even if it's just peace of mind that it's not this or that causing your issues.

I guess my 'case' hasn't really been solved, haha. I turned 18 in November, so I was discharged from the CAMHS, but my counsellor was quite unwilling to really talk to me about ADHD. I think I'd still like to talk to someone else about it, and frankly I still think medication would benefit me lol, but things have been manageable (ish) in A2 so far so I'm seeing how it goes for the time being. Might have to look into more support at uni, but we'll see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimjambles)
    No worries, glad I could be of help! GPs are there to help you with your worries, and thankfully we're blessed with free healthcare, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Even if it's not the answer you were expecting, it'll probably be beneficial in one way or another - even if it's just peace of mind that it's not this or that causing your issues.

I guess my 'case' hasn't really been solved, haha. I turned 18 in November, so I was discharged from the CAMHS, but my counsellor was quite unwilling to really talk to me about ADHD. I think I'd still like to talk to someone else about it, and frankly I still think medication would benefit me lol, but things have been manageable (ish) in A2 so far so I'm seeing how it goes for the time being. Might have to look into more support at uni, but we'll see.
    Good luck and thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Great, thanks that would be really helpful trouble is I'm not really a problem child so not sure how they're gonna see the symptoms if no one else has

No, neither was I.

That is why no one picked it up.

You may recognise many of the symptoms yourself.

Will send some stuff tomorrow.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.