Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I really like my friend, and I've tried to make it clear that I want to be more than friends without making it awkward and ruining our current relationship. I know that it's gotten to the point where she can confide in me more than anyone else, and I help her with her depression and I like to think we're close.

But, I have a 'friend' who likes her too and they actually knew each-other before I knew her. She also has a friend I've never met but she mentions him quite a lot when we're talking in a group, but never when we're alone and it seems like she likes him. This is interesting since she'll never mention him when we're alone but actually kinda makes me mad.. I don't know the full details of their relationship and this may seem wrong but I feel like she should like me because of how she can only tell me her secrets, and that I deserve at least a little self-happiness from helping her to get through her problems.

So, how do I compete with these two guys? Should I try to wait it out and see what happens? Should I just go full-out and tell her how I feel? I'm just worried that time will pass and she'll like either of those two guys rather than me. I'm also worried that if I do tell her how I feel things will get awkward and she won't talk to me anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Ok ok ok, first of all don't be her confiding secrets guy, she'll define your role as the secret receiver who can be trusted but that's as far as your relationship will go, the notable exception is if she blurts it out by accident. Secondly don't talk about these other guys and actively avoid them, ignore the outcome and instead focus on the qualities you have to offer, if she doesn't recognise this be willing to walk away from her. You need to out-compete these guys, the best way to do that is to be out of sight but in the mind, the best way to do that is to come on reasonably weak but not so weak that she thinks you are not interested.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.