Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

With 100 days to go, time to say the truth... watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, if you're fine with Mr Wang, Mr Terazaki and Mr Singh writing your paycheck in the future then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    But most of those reasons are based on misconceptions and/or lies. The amount of people still spouting "we pay the EU £55million a day" is incredible.
    Why, because it's true?

https://fullfact.org/economy/our-eu-...ee-55-million/

Never go full retard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightybis0n)
    Why, because it's true?

https://fullfact.org/economy/our-eu-...ee-55-million/

Never go full retard
    Did you even read what you linked? We receive £8 billion back directly, immediately, and even more indirectly through EU spending on the UK. We receive over half of it back. So no, it's not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Did you even read what you linked? We receive £8 billion back directly, immediately, and even more indirectly through EU spending on the UK. We receive over half of it back. So no, it's not true.
    We still pay it. We may get a share back for EU funded projects, but why can't we decide where to invest it? You know, the collapsing NHS, education, the crumbling armed forces?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RUCrazy)
    Ok, you tell me, where does the notion that Britain can compete with China, India all by itself come from? Is that actually based on any sound fundamentals, or is it more just based on a gut feeling that "We once ruled the world, and we can do it again"?
    It isn't so much about competing with other countries... that isn't the argument for leaving the EU. In fact, it's unrealistic to TRY and compete with developing countries like China and India in the future. No one has said we want to try and dominate the world economy by leaving the EU (which seems to be what you are suggesting). It's about having the belief we can leave the EU and still maintain a strong economy with good growth. Having belief your country can survive as a sovereign, independent nation has nothing to do with Anglo-Saxon supremacy. It's a pretty ridiculous suggestion to be honest.

For example... Oh wow! India want to remain an independent country? What are they, some kind of Indian supremacists?

ReputationRep:
    I live in Aberdeen - one of the most Europhilic cites in the UK where you see more European union flags than the Union Jack. I have seen more and more cars proudly presenting their big EU sticker on their cars too.

However, despite this.. I want people to know that Eurosceptics do exist north of the border, and it's not just the English "dragging us out of the EU against our will."

I think it is a very unfair statement from the press to claim that 'Scotland overwhelmingly want to stay in the EU' when this is based on a few polls.

I got my parcel from leave.eu and placed my anti-EU sticker on my flat window - without protest (yet!). I do get a few funny looks if I'm standing at my window and someone walks past, but I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether I am in or out yet.. there is to many unknowns, to many claims with to little backing from both sides yet, for me to make my mind up.

However, this thread, and the OP is ridiculous.

Point 1. Its ok to like your country, to be proud of your country.. and most of all, for the leaders of your country to work towards the best interest of the people in your country. To claim that in doing so, implies a superiority complex, is a ridiculous statement, given that it would mean all self-serving countries (which is all countries) have a superiority complex against other countries. Beyond a basic sense of patriotism, this is a very questionable claim.

Point 2. The target of a country in our modern globalized world is not to dominate and control other countries. The ability of the UK to compete and rival china should never be a key consideration, as it is simply impossible. (I live in china, its not happening.) However the in-ability to be bigger, richer, have more people - does not stop a country from being successful. There are many countries that are smaller then the UK, but remain successful and independent, and measure their success based on the livelihood of their own people, rather then global rankings/competition.

All in all, your argument is really weak, and if anything would attract more people to vote out, then in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RUCrazy)
    What? It's implicit in the whole objective of the Brexit campaign in the first place. Blocs and Large nation states are the future. Britain is no longer great and some people don't want to accept that.
    where are you from then anyway im a brexit myself and im no empire lover so you need to get over yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .A_C.)
    I live in Aberdeen - one of the most Europhilic cites in the UK where you see more European union flags than the Union Jack. I have seen more and more cars proudly presenting their big EU sticker on their cars too.

However, despite this.. I want people to know that Eurosceptics do exist north of the border, and it's not just the English "dragging us out of the EU against our will."

I think it is a very unfair statement from the press to claim that 'Scotland overwhelmingly want to stay in the EU' when this is based on a few polls.

I got my parcel from leave.eu and placed my anti-EU sticker on my flat window - without protest (yet!). I do get a few funny looks if I'm standing at my window and someone walks past, but I don't care.
    why is Scotland more pro eu then is it to do with money funding etc wanting to leave the eu isnt the same as hating Europe people need to understand that i dot like the eu but love Europe .

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.