Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for English Literature, Modern History, Psychology and Religious Studies. I am interested in a career in politics, journalism, aid/charity working, law or something similar. At my college I will also be taking Spanish GCSE and then the AS Level (potentially the A2 as well if I'm really good at it).

Anyway, I am far more passionate about Politics than I am Literature, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to swap them? I would probably do better in Government and Politics but I am still convinced that English Literature keeps options open you know? It's also probably the only way I could get into journalism if I decided to. Additionally, Politics A Level is usually never required for the degree course and Literature seems useful to have.

I'm predicted high grades and I'm thinking about applying to top universities for courses like Law, Study of Religions, Oriental Studies etc.
    What do you think would be good for these courses and my future career ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajaxxay)
    I have applied for English Literature, Modern History, Psychology and Religious Studies. I am interested in a career in politics, journalism, aid/charity working, law or something similar. At my college I will also be taking Spanish GCSE and then the AS Level (potentially the A2 as well if I'm really good at it).

Anyway, I am far more passionate about Politics than I am Literature, but I don't know if it would be a good idea to swap them? I would probably do better in Government and Politics but I am still convinced that English Literature keeps options open you know? It's also probably the only way I could get into journalism if I decided to. Additionally, Politics A Level is usually never required for the degree course and Literature seems useful to have.

I'm predicted high grades and I'm thinking about applying to top universities for courses like Law, Study of Religions, Oriental Studies etc.
    If my memory isn't deceiving me, there is no longer an A-level in 'modern history'. Usually either the AS or A2 content is the modern part, and the other is the pre 18th century bit.

Despite my love for politics A-level, I'll have to say stick with english lit because it's a facilitating subject. You should have two facilitating subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    If my memory isn't deceiving me, there is no longer an A-level in 'modern history'. Usually either the AS or A2 content is the modern part, and the other is the pre 18th century bit.

Despite my love for politics A-level, I'll have to say stick with english lit because it's a facilitating subject. You should have two facilitating subjects.
    I believe the specific course is History (Revolutions and Dictators: The Modern World).

And I agree that I should have two facilitating subjects, however I know what I'm interested in doing in the future and it's linked in with most of those subjects. I'm also taking History and Spanish so even if I did swap English out, I would still have two facilitating subjects. And surely it would be better to do better in Politics than do not so well in Literature? I really have no idea whether or not Literature would benefit me.

ReputationRep:
    I believe the specific course is History (Revolutions and Dictators: The Modern World).

And I agree that I should have two facilitating subjects, however I know what I'm interested in doing in the future and it's linked in with most of those subjects. I'm also taking History and Spanish so even if I did swap English out, I would still have two facilitating subjects. And surely it would be better to do better in Politics than do not so well in Literature? I really have no idea whether or not Literature would benefit me.
    Facilitating subjects only count for A-levels - not GCSEs so the Spanish will unfortunately not count!

After some digging I found that the revolutions and dictators is only part of the course. You then have another exam on either:
    - The Tudors: England, 1485–1547
    - Stuart Britain and the Crisis of Monarchy, 1603–1649
    - Industrialisation and the people: Britain, c1783–1832
    - Challenge and transformation: Britain, c1851–1914
    - The British Empire, c1857–1914

If you think you'll do better in politics, do that. But I'd like to point out it's way harder than you think it will be. I thought I'd cruise through it and it would be a doss - how wrong was I lol. That said, politics is probably easier than English lit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Facilitating subjects only count for A-levels - not GCSEs so the Spanish will unfortunately not count!

After some digging I found that the revolutions and dictators is only part of the course. You then have another exam on either:
    - The Tudors: England, 1485–1547
    - Stuart Britain and the Crisis of Monarchy, 1603–1649
    - Industrialisation and the people: Britain, c1783–1832
    - Challenge and transformation: Britain, c1851–1914
    - The British Empire, c1857–1914

If you think you'll do better in politics, do that. But I'd like to point out it's way harder than you think it will be. I thought I'd cruise through it and it would be a doss - how wrong was I lol. That said, politics is probably easier than English lit.
    Yeah true but I am most likely going to do study the A Level after the GCSE (as I said in the first post). It's not ideal but I don't really have a choice (I totally regret not taking a foreign language GCSE as many of my desired university courses prefer an A Level in one haha).

Surely my choices are good for my career aspirations though? Even if I only had History as a facilitating subject?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper

I'm a bit confused - you're predicted high grades for your GCSEs right? Well they hardly have a say in what university you wish to apply for. That's dependent upon your A-level predictions.

If you want to study Law, Religion or Oriental then any of the combinations of subjects you want to pick are fine choices.

It comes down to what you most enjoy rather than what is a facilitating subject. Pic the subject you think you will most enjoy. That is literally the most simple explanation I can give you.

ReputationRep:
    I do the new OCR a level English course, it's pretty intense because you have to do four texts. You have to do secondary reading in addition to everything , therefore only do it if you don't find reading complex secondary literature boring. The essay writing is crazy ; I had four essays last week so keep that in mind

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.