Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hellooooo haha, sorry If this was posted in the wrong section but I didn't know where else to post.

I'm in need of a bit of help with something; do you have to be in certain circumstances to get a Payrise or would it just be easier for me to find a new job?

I'm 17, currently working full time as a waitress, and due to not being 18 yet, I'm on a £3.70/80(per hour) wage. Basically I just want to know whether I'd be able to get a payrise considering I do the same amount of work and hours(if not more) than people at my work who are 21+, and I have worked there for just over a year now.

Someone please reply I'm in need of help desperately. Thank you! (Apologies once again if posted in wrong forum) ☺️
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Wages are minimum rates. An employer cant pay less but they cna pay more if they wish.
    When you reach 18 your rate will rise to £5.30.

You cna ask fo a wage rise, but you have to convince them its in their interest i.e you are worth it and they should pay you or you will go elsewhere.

http://www.wikihow.com/Ask-for-a-Pay-Raise
    http://www.wikihow.com/Negotiate-a-H...tarting-Salary

if they say no , then be prepared to look elsewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.