Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Graduate with no idea what to do, nearly 4 years now Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey I'm 26 been out of uni for nearly 4 years did a BA in business management got a 2.2.
    I have no idea what to do or how to find the job i want, every job seems 'yeah I could do it but'.
    Uni's been a blur and the last 4 years the same I've done regular job searches and graduate applications best i got was a internship as a market researcher, which was fine. Aside from that and working retail I've got no responses to any real jobs.
    I thought of going back to education even want to but I don't know what to do I can only think about doing a charted accounting qualification. I don't know if id even like it, everyone else seems to know but I've never had anything jump out to me.

ReputationRep:
    Is there anything you particularly have an urge to do?

If not maybe you could wait until something occurs to you.

ReputationRep:
    No not really I'm mean maybe accounting but thats only because its something I think I could do and seems like a safe career path, you know not likely to be replaced anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't wait around expecting a eureka moment. It's a good sign that you're asking questions - keep searching. Research online, talk to people, get work exp in anything that remotely interests you and find out how to break into those careers that spark an interest - if it means more education then cross that bridge when you get to it. But don't carry on as your are and expect something to change because it won't unless you put it in motion. If you decide on something that requires more education, then it won't be an easy process (especially in terms of funding) but don't let that put you off. Now is the time in your life to make sure that you have a career in your 30s/40s+ - people say you're never to old to start over, but it gets harder to start over as you get older. Don't wait til' you're 30.

I say this as a 26 yr old graduate about to start my second undergraduate degree this September. It's been a tricky 3/4 years since graduation but I'm back on track - if I can do it, so can you.

ReputationRep:
    Start yourown business

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.