Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR girls, how do you feel about getting paid so much less than a man in the future? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...s-men-lifetime

Women are likely to earn £300,000 less than men over their working lives, according to a new analysis that has sparked fresh calls for more shared parental leave to close the UK’s stubborn gender pay gap.
    The UK has one of the highest gender gaps in Europe even though it's been almost half a century since the Equal Pay Act was introduced.

ReputationRep:
    The gender wage gap has been debunked a million times. Men earn more on average because, among other completely not sexist reasons they do more work.
    Stop trying to stir the feminists.

ReputationRep:
    since when do certain jobs pay differ between gender? for example a male teacher gets payed the same amount as a female teacher on the same level. its the same with many other careers.

ReputationRep:
    not fussed tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    not fussed tbh
    How could you not be fussed? This is 2016, don't you believe in equality for women? Don't you deserve equal pay?

ReputationRep:
    We do get equal pay though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daquan)
    How could you not be fussed? This is 2016, don't you believe in equality for women? Don't you deserve equal pay?
    well yea but iv got more important things to worry about

ReputationRep:
    I'm more worried about not getting the job in the first place compared to male applicants since that's the main cause of the pay gap (in general not just the same job). Plus don't anyone pretend they know if the gap exists or not - there is evidence and studies leaning both ways so the only way you are choosing is based on your pre existing beliefs and that's not entirely accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Like whether or not a Sharknado will strike.

I don't want Mother Nature flinging great whites at my head is all I'm saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Like whether or not a Sharknado will strike.

I don't want Mother Nature flinging great whites at my head is all I'm saying.
    well that as well lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super_kawaii)
    We do get equal pay though
    Obama, Cameron, Hillary, the EU, the UN, the media and every feminist in the land never stop talking about it and how it needs to be fixed. So how can you say you get paid the same as men?

ReputationRep:
    How could you not worry about not having equal rights ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daquan)
    How could you not worry about not having equal rights ?
    people tend to get used to things quicker then others and i feel i got used to it quicker then you
    are you a feminist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince_fancybum)
    The gender wage gap has been debunked a million times. Men earn more on average because, among other completely not sexist reasons they do more work.
    Stop trying to stir the feminists.
    Please post a link to one of these studies (from a reliable source) just so we can see that there are differences in studies. Otherwise people are right to assume you're talking rubbish. I just want to see one of these for myself as I only ever see people talk about them without being able to source them.

ReputationRep:
    people tend to get used to things quicker then others and i feel i got used to it quicker then you
    are you a feminist?
    Do you feel that's the same as giving up or are you still angry but just keep it contained? I suppose it's like how some people don't care about politics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotDot...)
    Please post a link to one of these studies (from a reliable source) just so we can see that there are differences in studies. Otherwise people are right to assume you're talking rubbish. I just want to see one of these for myself as I only ever see people talk about them without being able to source them.
    That is an incredibly fair request. The methodology of the pro-gender wage gap studies has been attacked numerous times, but I can't think of a single time someone asked to see the anti-gender wage gap study to check that its methodology was sound.

I'm interested in this myself, now.

ReputationRep:
    Do you feel that's the same as giving up or are you still angry but just keep it contained? I suppose it's like how some people don't care about politics
    im not angry at all, never have been and i never will be as long as i get paid for doing my job
    and no i dont care about politics

ReputationRep:
    im not angry at all, never have been and i never will be as long as i get paid for doing my job
    and no i dont care about politics
    Say you needed a pay rise to be able to buy the house you'd always wanted. You worked extra hard all year but at the end of the year it was your male colleague, who had worked slightly less hard and had done slightly less for the company, that got it and you are stuck on the same rung of the job ladder. Then would you be angry? If it happened to you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm more worried about not getting the job in the first place compared to male applicants since that's the main cause of the pay gap (in general not just the same job). Plus don't anyone pretend they know if the gap exists or not - there is evidence and studies leaning both ways so the only way you are choosing is based on your pre existing beliefs and that's not entirely accurate.
    What kind of job would you be going for?

ReputationRep:
    Say you needed a pay rise to be able to buy the house you'd always wanted. You worked extra hard all year but at the end of the year it was your male colleague, who had worked slightly less hard and had done slightly less for the company, that got it and you are stuck on the same rung of the job ladder. Then would you be angry? If it happened to you?
    no, id be a bit annoyed but i wouldnt be angry
    just keep trying
    not everyone gets everything first go whether they deserve it or not
    plus that colleague might have done something for the company ie raised alot of money etc. its unlikely il be around him during work ALL the time so i dont know what else he has done for the company as im too busy doing my own job to observe him doing his

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.