Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR girls, how do you feel about getting paid so much less than a man in the future? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daquan)
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/201...s-men-lifetime

The UK has one of the highest gender gaps in Europe even though it's been almost half a century since the Equal Pay Act was introduced.
    In some industries this most definitely exists. It is incorrect to say that women earn less in every sector, yet incredibly stupid and naive to believe that the whole thing is just a myth.

This article is about the impact of having children on a woman's career, which is different, however the break from work often costs them enough in missed opportunity/demotion that it has a related effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    people tend to get used to things quicker then others and i feel i got used to it quicker then you
    are you a feminist?
    Used to what? Not having equal rights?

I don't like labels but I do know that women should have equal rights to men with pay being included, obv.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    In some industries this most definitely exists. It is incorrect to say that women earn less in every sector, yet incredibly stupid and naive to believe that the whole thing is just a myth.
    Which industries are worse? And why?

ReputationRep:
    Manly jobs pay more tho.

Bear-fighting, binmen, etc compared to baby-feeding and nursing, etc. On average, men are biologically better suited to lifting big metal things. Tru factz.

Men also tend to dislike children and don't take time off to care for them - a family choice. Anecdotally, most girls I know love babies.

So long as men and women are free to pursue whatever career they want, and make their own personal choices, and that it's illegal for a man and a woman to be paid differently for the same work, then I just don't care. In most areas of the animal kingdom, males and females (on average) show different preferences. Heck, we've even provided females with more bursaries and programmes just to try to get them to pursue STEM-subjects etc. There's only so much you can fight against evolution/nature/biology.

There are biological differences between men and women, both physically and mentally. Women tend to have average IQs, whilst men tend to be incredibly dumb (the ones in prisons) or incredibly intelligent (like the top 100 chess players - I think there's only one woman in that list). I'm talking averages - of course you'll get incredibly thick women and incredibly bright women (and average men) - but I'm talking about the general shape of the IQ bell-curve (as we should if we're talking about average earnings). Hormones also tend to make males more competitive and aggressive, etc.

Just because there is an unequal outcome does not itself mean that unfairness is in operation.

ReputationRep:
    Used to what? Not having equal rights?

I don't like labels but I do know that women should have equal rights to men with pay being included, obv.
    ok example:
    the military. women are not aloud to become infantry soldiers due to the risks and not being able to carry the same weight as the men can, therefore infantry soldiers might get paid more then say artillery or sappers.

i think thats fair and logical
    are you going to argue with that

ReputationRep:
    Oh here we go; cry me a river with your wage gap myth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    ok example:
    the military. women are not aloud to become infantry soldiers due to the risks and not being able to carry the same weight as the men can, therefore infantry soldiers might get paid more then say artillery or sappers.

i think thats fair and logical
    are you going to argue with that
    Actually this is no longer true, women will be allowed to do all that quite soon:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...by-end-of-2016

But I mean in general, why do you think men get paid so much more than women?

ReputationRep:
    Actually this is no longer true, women will be allowed to do all that quite soon:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...by-end-of-2016

But I mean in general, why do you think men get paid so much more than women?
    im on about currently

ReputationRep:
    No such thing as a wage gap, just a lot of woman taking time off to raise children.

ReputationRep:
    Male dominated ones, where the men are aggressive, often break the rules/law and have poor attitudes to women doing the same job.

ReputationRep:
    Urgghh.

ReputationRep:
    Genuine unequal pay in Hollywood has been in the news of late. That's a industry that doesn't give a ****.

The reverse happens in modelling where women are payed a much higher rate, another industry that couldn't care less about the law.

ReputationRep:
    Not as a nurse

ReputationRep:
    Male dominated ones, where the men are aggressive, often break the rules/law and have poor attitudes to women doing the same job.
    Possibly. Working on oil rigs is hard work with hard men, and it's possible women would be intimidated in to not working those high paying, low skilled, dangerous jobs because of the actions of men.

But... I did hiring for a tech company where women were treated very well and I was told in no uncertain terms that we needed more women, but women simply weren't applying for the roles.

Men are 13 times more likely to die on the job, though, so it's possible that men simply have a different attitude to risk/reward than many women - Many high paying, high-risk jobs like high-rise construction worker, oil rig worker, underwater welder and the like are very disproportionately men. It's possible women don't want to deal with the men on-site, or its possible women don't want the much higher risk of death and dismemberment while men are willing to exchange safety for higher pay in some industries.

I honestly don't know the answer to that one, but I don't think causation has been proven in those industries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melancholy)
    Manly jobs pay more tho.

Bear-fighting, binmen, etc compared to baby-feeding and nursing, etc.
    Yes, I believe bear-fighting courses have an even higher gender gap than petroleum engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mayhem™)
    Oh here we go; cry me a river with your wage gap myth.
    Reported for microaggression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotDot...)
    Please post a link to one of these studies (from a reliable source) just so we can see that there are differences in studies. Otherwise people are right to assume you're talking rubbish. I just want to see one of these for myself as I only ever see people talk about them without being able to source them.
    here's one, ignore the title it doesn't make sense but the facts seem ok..
    http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/calli...-gap-is-a-myth

ReputationRep:
    Genuine unequal pay in Hollywood has been in the news of late. That's a industry that doesn't give a ****.

The reverse happens in modelling where women are payed a much higher rate, another industry that couldn't care less about the law.
    I think it's probably got something to do with the fact that men are just more interesting to watch. I wouldn't get out of bed to see Fast and Furious played by female actresses. They tend to be cheekier, more adventurous and funnier on average. It's the same reason why male comedians are more commercially successful. James Bond plays on the male fantasy, whereas a female Bond would not be as popular. Holywood plays on stereotypes (which themselves are based on some element of truth) - e.g. the "nagging" M curtailing Bond's boyish adventures.

Female superheroes (e.g. Lara Croft) tend to be eye-candy (the most commercially successful actresses are attractive). It's neither right nor wrong, it is just biologically true that we (largely both males and females) prefer to see certain people and certain things on the big screen. It'd be pretty hard to change nature.

I mean, ugly people, as a group, should perhaps try to argue that they should be paid the same as Leonardo di Caprio. The group of "uglies" is just as arbitrary as the class of "females" - what they got through birth was through random chance, as well, and they get paid differently because of it. Like all of us, we identify our talents, assess where our talents are most commercially gainful, assess this against where our passions lie, and make a free choice about what we want to do. It is a choice that many people in the middle-east, Asia and Africa do not have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Possibly. Working on oil rigs is hard work with hard men, and it's possible women would be intimidated in to not working those high paying, low skilled, dangerous jobs because of the actions of men.

But... I did hiring for a tech company where women were treated very well and I was told in no uncertain terms that we needed more women, but women simply weren't applying for the roles.

Men are 13 times more likely to die on the job, though, so it's possible that men simply have a different attitude to risk/reward than many women - Many high paying, high-risk jobs like high-rise construction worker, oil rig worker, underwater welder and the like are very disproportionately men. It's possible women don't want to deal with the men on-site, or its possible women don't want the much higher risk of death and dismemberment while men are willing to exchange safety for higher pay in some industries.

I honestly don't know the answer to that one, but I don't think causation has been proven in those industries.
    And those require a physicality that many women do not have.

I was thinking of broking as an example because it's my background. You are told "it's not for women" and often paid accordingly. Plus the men are aggressive with business, promotion and pay rises. They do what they cab get away with.

ReputationRep:
    What kind of job would you be going for?
    Something to do with maths, probably finance, maybe even banking (not a very mixed industry). And the reason I'm worried is because already I can see people judging that I am less good than my male counterpart maths students. Last year there was only one top grade in the year (which was me) and I sat on more than one occasion and listened to students and teachers trying to work out who it was, their shortlist being all-male ofc, and being extremely surprised when it was revealed to be me, even though I have a great track record and have always come top or near enough as well as many of the female students so I just couldn't understand any other reason why they completely ignored an entire section of the year. This is not my take on the pay gap just my experiences that have told me people won't expect me to do well, which at job interviews, all about first impressions, doesn't bode well.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.