Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

hey, the doctor called me and said the blood test i did's results showed something abnormal about my thyroid. ive got an emergency appointment now in a couple of days and so i really could wait until then to know whats going on but i cant get it out of my mind. how worried should i be? the phone conversation kind of freaked me out. the woman sounded worried. should i psych myself up for some bad news or something?

and what on earth could it even be? ive looked up thyroidal problem symptoms and literally none seem to apply to me. i got the blood tests due to unusual stomach cramping and chronic indigestion.

is it possible that the tests were anomalous?

ReputationRep:
    I am in no way a medical professional so whatever I'm writing could be contradicted at your appointment, but I have symptoms etc of an under active thyroid and although doctors haven't diagnosed me fully with the condition, I truly believe I have it or a mild case of it he he.
    Unfortunately there's no 'cure' as such with a thyroid condition, you will have to just take medication for life (this is what I was most upset about when finding out I may have a thyroid problem) but it's nothing big, the emergency apt. is most likely to just ensure you're started on the right course of medication straight away! Try searching under active thyroid/ over active thyroid whichever applies to you if the lady has told you over the phone failing that hypothyroidism/ hyperthyroidism.
    Absolute worst case scenario (without trying to worry you) would be thyroid cancer, so if I were you I would prepare myself for, not necessarily bad news, but not great news either! I really hope all goes well for you, and if you need to talk am always here! Xxx
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hey, the doctor called me and said the blood test i did's results showed something abnormal about my thyroid. ive got an emergency appointment now in a couple of days and so i really could wait until then to know whats going on but i cant get it out of my mind. how worried should i be? the phone conversation kind of freaked me out. the woman sounded worried. should i psych myself up for some bad news or something?

and what on earth could it even be? ive looked up thyroidal problem symptoms and literally none seem to apply to me. i got the blood tests due to unusual stomach cramping and chronic indigestion.

is it possible that the tests were anomalous?
    Thyroid problems can vary a bit. It may be that your thyroid gland produces too much or little thyroid hormone or that there is something else affecting it (like your immune system attacking the gland and stopping it working properly).
    Don't be too worried, the will explain it in your appointment. I've had thyroid problems going on for years so a couple of days shoud not be any concern. They'd call you in earlier if it was anyway.

They probably sounded worried because they were having a rough day or werent't quite sure why your thyroid was off, not cos they think you're going to drop dead or anything. My doctors always sound worried, i've come to understand now that it's just how they talk.

Thyroid issues could be a symptom of something else which is also causing your other issues. If it's your immune system attacking your thyroid for instance it could mean you have autoimmune problems and that your immune system is also attacking your stomach or other areas (that's just the example i know of, not suggesting that is the cause). Whatever the case you are getting some answers which should lead to a solution.

It's not much to go on so there's no use looking for reasons and getting yourself all worried, Just try to avoid worrying yourself until your appointment. Good luck. Hope you get some proper answers when you go in and it's a simple fix

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.