Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am 31 years old and never really wanted to go to uni at 18 as I didn't k is what career I wanted to do. I did A levels ( IT B, biology, B and PE C) random subjects I know. Anyway I now work as a pharmacy technician on a decent salary £28k and the perks of working in the NHS but can't see me doing this forever and I am thinking of doing computing and IT with maths with the open university. I know lots of people who have done a similar computing degree and can't find a job. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this course with the ou and how employers rate it? I always hear about people saying ou degrees are highly regarded as you working and studying shows good organisational skills etc. Has anyone experience of this being the case? I would study part time and so would take 6 years and by then I'd probably be on £34k salary plus any pay increase 🤐 I know I wouldn't be on this as a new entrant into a computing job but money isn't that important too me. As long as we can pay the mortgage etc.

Thanks for any advice

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can handle the workload and the responsibilities of both studying and working, then there's no reason not to pursue an OU degree, so long as you have a genuine interest in the subject. Do you like your current job? I would suggest otherwise doing something that is a little bit more relevant to your current profession as you already have experience in that field. Look about for other distance learning degrees that offer this, as well as distance learning courses for Computer Science too . I know University of Hertfordshire offer a BSc Computer Science distance learning degree that might be a bit more credible than an OU degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.