Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have finally got an interview, it is next week. Anyone got any tips for me when going to an interview, ive had one before and i thought i did alright but maybe some tips would improve me.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is this for a job?

ReputationRep:
    Don't assume you have to dress really formally, it depends where the interview is. I made a huge mistake like years ago I went for an interview at the disney store in shirt,tie, black shoes, smart pants etc, when I got there everybody was alot more cheery which made sense when I thought about it.

On the day make sure you have nice fresh hair, clean fingernails, etc. It does make a difference. You want to appear fresh. Once you get in there try your best to smile without looking weird. Sit up straight, don't lean against the back of the chair, and don't fidget with your hands. Look the interviewer in the eyes, or in the third eye if it becomes uncomfortable, that is the spot just between their two eyes. If you didn't know already, it's quite possible to stare hardly into this spot, and to somebody else it will just look like you're maintaining gentle eye contact.

The interviewer will of course ask questions which you need to give good developed responses to. It's a good tihng before you go in to think about your responses to questions like "Tell me a little bit about yourself." Try to respond with a bit of structure, so for that I would try to think of three things about myself,
    - I'm very motivated, throughout my schooling life I've always set myself high targets and am used to puhsing myself to meet them.
    - I like to work with other people, I find that I react well when asked to work in a team. For example ..blah blah blah
    - and one more

Finally just try to sound enthusiastic, nod when they're telling you about the job so you look like you really want it. Laugh at their jokes. Because whilst you're trying to sound like this committed, motivated positive person, you also want to seem human, somebody who they can work along side. Use appropriate hand gestures when you're telling them about yourself.

Where is it? If it's a group interview then alot of what I've written is pointless. Similarly if it's like the disney store then not so much on the formal stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is an interview, they didnt tell me it was a group interview, it is for a bedding shop, sheets, pillows, duvets etc. they do dress smartly, i will be wearing black shoes, black trousers, blue shirt, grey zipped new york hoodie, it will be unzipped so they can see im wearing a shirt, i will probaly take the jacket off, do you think i should?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james101)
    yeah it is an interview, they didnt tell me it was a group interview, it is for a bedding shop, sheets, pillows, duvets etc. they do dress smartly, i will be wearing black shoes, black trousers, blue shirt, grey zipped new york hoodie, it will be unzipped so they can see im wearing a shirt, i will probaly take the jacket off, do you think i should?
    Hmm, Is it a good idea to be wearing the hoodie?

ReputationRep:
    why not? i dont like walking about wearing just the shirt, i want something over it. Should i take it off when i go into the room with him, i should put it on the back off the chair?

ReputationRep:
    ive just got another interview, thats two in one day! wow, if i dont get at least one of them i will cry, lol.

Anymore tips, the other one is a recruitment event, any tips for that?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    ive just got another interview, thats two in one day! wow, if i dont get at least one of them i will cry, lol.

Anymore tips, the other one is a recruitment event, any tips for that?

Thanks
    these are some of the things they notice:

did the candidate enter and greet the interviewer?
    did they speak clearly?
    What was the candidate's body language like throughout the interview?
    did they ask good questions?
    what were their answers like?
    was there good eye contact?
    was the handshake good?

im sure you will be fine james...give it your best

ReputationRep:
    what about for a group recruitment event?

ReputationRep:
    what about for a group recruitment event?
    are you panicking??
    i think you are...
    just completely be yourself and make sure you have excellent interaction, try and be like the person leading, that always gives a good impression.

ReputationRep:
    i went to a group recruitment event about a week ago and they didnt employ me.

ReputationRep:
    i went to a group recruitment event about a week ago and they didnt employ me.

how come??what do you think you did wrong?
    just make sure you dont do i again whatever it was

ReputationRep:
    i have an interview at Asda this time so i think it is different, do you know anything about Asda's group recruitment event?

ReputationRep:
    i have an interview at Asda this time so i think it is different, do you know anything about Asda's group recruitment event?
    not really, but i had a group recruitment with sainsburys, i dont know how different it will be, but it was really easy if you just be calm and act like you are being your normal, chatty friendly self

ReputationRep:
    what exactly did you have to do?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 26, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.