Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many languages do you speak and which ones? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I speak English, Hindi and a little bit of German.
    My dream is to be fluent in German, my main phrase is sehr gut jaaaaaaaa!
    Also I want to be fluent in Japenese so I can understand my crushes I mean anime better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OHH_MY_DAYZ:b)
    can you speak fluently in all of them?
    Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    Of course I would make an effort to learn the local language but as far as teaching languages in school or bringing children up to speak lots of different languages there is no need. English is the only language that matters. When people need to communication but neither speak each other's language the chances are they will speak English as the lingua franca. The world's most powerful countries place a huge importance on English.
    I think you'd be surprised to see how much more people respect you if you talk in their own language, not to mention you often understand their culture far better and you can obviously understand them if they talk about you in their language.
    Also multilingualism has been shown to be hugely advantageous, as you perform certain tasks more easily and are even more likely to recover from strokes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    Interesting! You could pass of for one, though.

I love the countries! I went to finland once, oh, it's soo beautiful!

It is very very exquisite:')

ReputationRep:
    English, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi, I can read Arabic but can't speak or understand it, I understand French but have trouble responding.

ReputationRep:
    English, a bit of French, a tiny bit of Spanish, a tiny bit of Japanese (I can only read Hiragana), I can understand Gurati and Kutchi but can barely speak them and can read Arabic. I can say like 5 words in Swahili if that counts lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madeline_H95)
    Only English because other languages in the world don't matter.
    Chinese is the most spoken language... So shouldn't Chinese technically be the most important?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alltxmelow)
    Chinese is the most spoken language... So shouldn't Chinese technically be the most important?
    Compare how many countries in which English is spoken to how many Chinese is....
    And think about China's population

French, english, arabic fluently. Understand german

ReputationRep:
    Only Farsi and English

ReputationRep:
    English and Cornish, may be a dead language but I taught it to myself fluently

ReputationRep:
    Portuguese and English at a native level ,Spanish ,French and Russian at an intermediate level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeggiiMae)
    English and Cornish, may be a dead language but I taught it to myself fluently
    I believe Cornish is making a comeback (albeit small) so potentially not that dead after all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    I believe Cornish is making a comeback (albeit small) so potentially not that dead after all
    Haha well yea, they are trying to reintroduce it into schools, I'm just ahead of the game!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.