Why did the early Universe contain only hydrogen but now contains a large variety....

Watch
nettogrof
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Why did the early Universe contain only hydrogen but now contains a large variety of different elements?

Thanks
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nettogrof)
Why did the early Universe contain only hydrogen but now contains a large variety of different elements?

Thanks
Because hydrogen (and helium, which was also present, along with a tiny bit of lithium) are the easiest atoms to make. To make larger atoms, you need a high temperature and pressure. Such conditions are found only in stars.

So the stars made these heavier elements and ta dah! Here we are
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nettogrof)

Thanks
Expansion, cooling and stellar evolution.
ghvfdc999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fusion in stars.

Light elements (H, He, Etc.) fused together under high temp. and pressure to create heavy elements (Fe, etc.)
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
More specifically, H and He are fused under high pressure inside stars to make slightly heavier elements, like lithium, boron, nitrogen, and the like, and those elements are fused at even higher pressure to make still heavier elements, and those keep fusing to make even heavier elements. Elements heavier than iron are only produced in the massive, short-lived pressures created by supernovae, which also scatter all of the heavy stellar material over great swathes of space, ready to form new solar systems with planets and life.
Maker
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I always wondered why there is an imbalance of matter and antimatter in the universe, any ideas?
username2088165
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
I always wondered why there is an imbalance of matter and antimatter in the universe, any ideas?
I remember reading somewhere that it's because antimatter decays more quickly than matter, I could be wrong though (I'm not very good at physics)
Bernie2016
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
Pretty sure scientists are still trying to find out why there was an imbalance of antimatter and matter at the big bang so currently i dont think there is a solid answer for you unfortunately )':.
jarjarbinkss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
because when the volcanoes erupted, they released all sorts of gasses
ghvfdc999
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jarjarbinkss)
because when the volcanoes erupted, they released all sorts of gasses
Lol. How could there be volcanoes in a universe containing only hydrogen?
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Repsol)
Look at the username dear boy............tis a troll.
jarjarbinkss
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Repsol)
not a troll honestly. I read the title wrong and thought it meant how did the early atmosphere contain little gases but now it contains a large variety of gases.
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Maker)
It seems that antimatter decays more quickly than matter.
agsha2612
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
More specifically, H and He are fused under high pressure inside stars to make slightly heavier elements, like lithium, boron, nitrogen, and the like, and those elements are fused at even higher pressure to make still heavier elements, and those keep fusing to make even heavier elements. Elements heavier than iron are only produced in the massive, short-lived pressures created by supernovae, which also scatter all of the heavy stellar material over great swathes of space, ready to form new solar systems with planets and life.
This was really helpful. Thank You!!
Theo Hendrik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Een put them thair becose hes nice
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (20)
13.16%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (42)
27.63%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (63)
41.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (23)
15.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (4)
2.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed