Turn on thread page Beta

Why did the early Universe contain only hydrogen but now contains a large variety.... watch

ReputationRep:
    Why did the early Universe contain only hydrogen but now contains a large variety of different elements?

Thanks
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by nettogrof)
    Why did the early Universe contain only hydrogen but now contains a large variety of different elements?

Thanks
    Because hydrogen (and helium, which was also present, along with a tiny bit of lithium) are the easiest atoms to make. To make larger atoms, you need a high temperature and pressure. Such conditions are found only in stars.

So the stars made these heavier elements and ta dah! Here we are
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by nettogrof)

Thanks
    Expansion, cooling and stellar evolution.

ReputationRep:
    Fusion in stars.

Light elements (H, He, Etc.) fused together under high temp. and pressure to create heavy elements (Fe, etc.)

ReputationRep:
    More specifically, H and He are fused under high pressure inside stars to make slightly heavier elements, like lithium, boron, nitrogen, and the like, and those elements are fused at even higher pressure to make still heavier elements, and those keep fusing to make even heavier elements. Elements heavier than iron are only produced in the massive, short-lived pressures created by supernovae, which also scatter all of the heavy stellar material over great swathes of space, ready to form new solar systems with planets and life.

ReputationRep:
    I always wondered why there is an imbalance of matter and antimatter in the universe, any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    I always wondered why there is an imbalance of matter and antimatter in the universe, any ideas?
    I remember reading somewhere that it's because antimatter decays more quickly than matter, I could be wrong though (I'm not very good at physics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Pretty sure scientists are still trying to find out why there was an imbalance of antimatter and matter at the big bang so currently i dont think there is a solid answer for you unfortunately )':.

ReputationRep:
    because when the volcanoes erupted, they released all sorts of gasses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jarjarbinkss)
    because when the volcanoes erupted, they released all sorts of gasses
    Lol. How could there be volcanoes in a universe containing only hydrogen?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Repsol)
    Look at the username dear boy............tis a troll.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Repsol)
    not a troll honestly. I read the title wrong and thought it meant how did the early atmosphere contain little gases but now it contains a large variety of gases.
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aston Villa FC Supporter
    (Original post by Maker)
    It seems that antimatter decays more quickly than matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    More specifically, H and He are fused under high pressure inside stars to make slightly heavier elements, like lithium, boron, nitrogen, and the like, and those elements are fused at even higher pressure to make still heavier elements, and those keep fusing to make even heavier elements. Elements heavier than iron are only produced in the massive, short-lived pressures created by supernovae, which also scatter all of the heavy stellar material over great swathes of space, ready to form new solar systems with planets and life.
    This was really helpful. Thank You!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 27, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.