Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I'm looking into doing a TEFL certification, and was wondering if anyone can help me which with company to go with. My current choices are 'theteflacademy', 'i-to-i' or 'tefl.org' ?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wanjohanna)
    Hi.
    I'm looking into doing a TEFL certification, and was wondering if anyone can help me which with company to go with. My current choices are 'theteflacademy', 'i-to-i' or 'tefl.org' ?

Thanks
    When choosing a TEFL certificate the big question is: Where do you want to teach?
    For example if you want to teach in China or South Korea. As long as you have a degree, just get a weekend/online TEFL certificate. That should be enough.
    However if you want to teach somewhere like Europe, the Middle East, etc. You will need a CELTA or Trinity TESOL, some accept similar courses by other organisations such as The TEFL Academy. My school in Lisbon for instance only accepts CELTA or Trinity TESOL there are no other qualifications they will even look at.

In fear I will ramble on too much here. If you want more specific info this is a blog post I wrote explaining all the courses you can do -
    http://www.thenewcarly.wordpress.com...-tefl-courses/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    When choosing a TEFL certificate the big question is: Where do you want to teach?
    For example if you want to teach in China or South Korea. As long as you have a degree, just get a weekend/online TEFL certificate. That should be enough.
    However if you want to teach somewhere like Europe, the Middle East, etc. You will need a CELTA or Trinity TESOL, some accept similar courses by other organisations such as The TEFL Academy. My school in Lisbon for instance only accepts CELTA or Trinity TESOL there are no other qualifications they will even look at.

In fear I will ramble on too much here. If you want more specific info this is a blog post I wrote explaining all the courses you can do -
    http://www.thenewcarly.wordpress.com...-tefl-courses/
    Thank you. That is useful to know, I will have a look into it. I would like to know are the companies any different, is one better at giving you the knowledge than the other? Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    The Celta and Trinity both give you observed, assessed teaching time with real ESL students, as well as the written assignments and seminar work. The observed lessons in particular give you valuable experience and feedback that you don't usually get on cheaper, less well-known courses. The Celta is well-known by employers the world over.

As Sportycb says there are some employers in some parts of the world who don't mind. Personally I'd rather spend the extra time/money and know that I was getting a certificate that is really reputable.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. That is useful to know, I will have a look into it. I would like to know are the companies any different, is one better at giving you the knowledge than the other? Many thanks
    Well in all honesty apart from the CELTA by the University of Cambridge and the Trinity TESOL there are no real recognised courses. Companies who accept other forms of qualifications know very little about the qualifications. They are just looking for a native with a degree and some form a piece of paper which makes them look like they know what they are doing.
    I am sorrry I have little experience with these companies as I have never tried them all. I only have got a Weekend certificate from UK-TEFL. I did the CELTA when I decided to work in Europe and my weekend certificate wasn't accepted anywhere.

If you decide to do the 4 week course you might as well do CELTA or Trinity TESOL as they are a similar cost and these are the 2 most accepted. There is a cheap one by The TEFL Academy which I tweeted a few people who had done one to see where they got employment and it is was all in Asia. Mainly South Korea and Japan. However I know my school wouldn't accept it and British summer camps certainly won't because they are all accreditted by the British Council and it is one of their requirements.

A collegue of mine often talks about how annoyed she is about doing a 4 week course and spending a small fortune on it. Afterwards she worked in South America for low wages. When her and her boyfriend decided to come to Europe she had to spend the same amout of money again to get a CELTA as her 4 week certificate wasn't accepted at any school in Barcelona where they moved to.

ETA: As I replied at the same time as greenbean123 I am sorry it is so repetitive of what he/she has just said. I do agree completely with his/her comment about prefering to put the time and effort in order to get the best qualification. My CELTA has opened so many more doors.

ReputationRep:
    As CELTA stands for Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults, by your advice, it seems that I can also take this to teach young children too ... ?

ReputationRep:
    As CELTA stands for Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults, by your advice, it seems that I can also take this to teach young children too ... ?
    Yes of course. This year my oldest student is 19 years ago. I have taught mostly children and teenagers. The title is to teach adults but I think most people withe qualification to teach children.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.