The Student Room Group

Why is ethanoic anhydride preferred over ethanol can acid to make esters?

I know one reason is that ethanoic acid with an alcohol is a reversible reaction but does anyone know any other reasons?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown:

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses. :redface:

:h:
Ethanoic anhydride is more reactive than ethanoic acid; the reaction might go faster, I guess. I think the non-reversibility is probably what makes it appealing to industry, on the whole.

(Why does it say "ethanol can acid" in the title?)
Hi AqsaMx

I firstly believe you have miss typed your thread title and it should be ethanoic acid rather than ethanol and? Well I hope so anyways.

The only advantage I can think of would be you could do this in a test tube without using concentrated sulfuric acid. If you add the anhydride and alcohol to a test tube, and warm it this should be enough to form some of your ester. You can then choose distillation etc. if necessary. Your title also says why is it preferred - sadly my first question there is "says who?". If you want a alternative and perhaps faster way to produce an ester then you could use an acyl chloride, but be aware you will get fumes of HCl given off which can be quite dangerous.

I hope that helps - you could always check out my website for more help www.scienceskool.co.uk

Alex

Quick Reply

Latest