The Student Room Group

Going into research; Does degree class matter?

I'm quite eager to go into research/PhD style work after I have completed my maths degree in university, however as someone who is currently still deciding what university I would like to go into it has brought up some interesting questions.

The two main universities I am deciding between are Manchester and Oxford, both universities and their course I very much love. I have heard that to get into research for maths, you pretty much require a First class degree. However, I was wondering if it would depend on what university you went to? For example, if I were to get a 2:1 from Oxford would I still be able to go into research?

I ask because I know it is quite difficult to get a first from Oxbridge, and my chance of getting a first were I to go to Manchester would be much better. If I will definitely need to get a first to go into research, this might seriously impact my decision of what university to attend.

TL;DR - To go into research, would it be better for me to go to Manchester, where I am more likely to get a first, or Oxford, where I will likely get a 2:1 but that is very highly regarded in research circles? Will I still be able to get into research with a 2:1?

Thanks!
I'm not sure I understood exactly what you were asking but requirements for post graduate degrees are generally a strong 2.1 or a first.
So you have not started your undergraduate course and you're already thinking of going into research?
Reply 3
Often, a university will accept a 2:1 from its own alumni but require a first from anyone else.

This was supposedly why Stephen Hawking thought he'd get a first at Oxford-- the faculty would want to be sure he could take up his Cambridge offer instead of sticking around.

Quick Reply

Latest