Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite eager to go into research/PhD style work after I have completed my maths degree in university, however as someone who is currently still deciding what university I would like to go into it has brought up some interesting questions.

The two main universities I am deciding between are Manchester and Oxford, both universities and their course I very much love. I have heard that to get into research for maths, you pretty much require a First class degree. However, I was wondering if it would depend on what university you went to? For example, if I were to get a 2:1 from Oxford would I still be able to go into research?

I ask because I know it is quite difficult to get a first from Oxbridge, and my chance of getting a first were I to go to Manchester would be much better. If I will definitely need to get a first to go into research, this might seriously impact my decision of what university to attend.

TL;DR - To go into research, would it be better for me to go to Manchester, where I am more likely to get a first, or Oxford, where I will likely get a 2:1 but that is very highly regarded in research circles? Will I still be able to get into research with a 2:1?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I understood exactly what you were asking but requirements for post graduate degrees are generally a strong 2.1 or a first.

ReputationRep:
    So you have not started your undergraduate course and you're already thinking of going into research?

ReputationRep:
    Often, a university will accept a 2:1 from its own alumni but require a first from anyone else.

This was supposedly why Stephen Hawking thought he'd get a first at Oxford-- the faculty would want to be sure he could take up his Cambridge offer instead of sticking around.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 20, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.