Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Use the fact that some trigonometric functions are shifts of another, common examples include \sin \theta = \cos (\pi/2 - \theta), \cot \theta = \tan (\pi/2 - \theta) and the likes. This comes in useful and saves a lot of time.

Say you were given \csc \left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{3}\right) = \sec \left(\theta - \frac{\pi}{6}\right) - this could be an 8/9/10mark A-Level question easily; want a three liner way of doing it?

The equation is equivalent to \displaystyle \sin \left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{3}\right) = \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta + \frac{\pi}{6}\right) = \sin \left(\frac{2\pi}{3} - \theta\right)

which now becomes elementary to solve.

Extension to this, using a STEP question, show that \sin A = \cos B \iff A = (4n+1)\frac{\pi}{2} \pm B - should be a two or three liner using this method.

This trick has rendered one or two STEP I questions completely inane, especially the \cot \theta = \tan (\pi/2 - \theta) that's let me do a STEP I question in 4 minutes.
    For the necessary condition, why is it that taking sine of the equation gives you -sin=cos whereas taking the cosine proves it for +B. I can see the symmetry but how do I know which one to use? Pic related will explain my question better tbh.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459024938.978987.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  124.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    For the necessary condition, why is it that taking sine of the equation gives you -sin=cos whereas taking the cosine proves it for +B. I can see the symmetry but how do I know which one to use? Pic related will explain my question better tbh.
    I'll have a look at this in a bit, I'm off to watch a movie - but the way I'd do this (the intended way) was:

\sin X = \sin Y \iff X = Y + 2n\pi \, \text{or} \, X = \pi - Y + 2n\pi which gives us necessity and sufficiency in one fell swoop and is applicable here since \cos B = \sin (\pi/2 - B).

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Actually - I've spotted it right away, we have \sin \left(A - (4n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}\right) = \sin \pm B.

But this gives us 0 - \cos A = \sin \pm B which is the same thing as -\cos A = \pm \sin B which certainly gives us \cos A = \sin B.

The +B comes from the \cos and then -B comes from the \sin.

So remember when we have -\cos A = \pm \sin B we have cos A is the same as (+sin B or -sin B) only one of those have to be true, not both.

ReputationRep:
    Actually - I've spotted it right away, we have \sin \left(A - (4n+1)\frac{\pi}{2}\right) = \sin \pm B.

But this gives us 0 - \cos A = \sin \pm B which is the same thing as -\cos A = \pm \sin B which certainly gives us \cos A = \sin B.

The +B comes from the \cos and then -B comes from the \sin.

So remember when we have -\cos A = \pm \sin B we have cos A is the same as (+sin B or -sin B) only one of those have to be true, not both.
    Oh! Are you saying that I couldn't prove it because I was messing up my boolean logic/truth tables? So if we have +sin B or -sin B, it would be enough to say that cos A = sin B by just emitting the -sin B ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh! Are you saying that I couldn't prove it because I was messing up my boolean logic/truth tables? So if we have +sin B or -sin B, it would be enough to say that cos A = sin B by just emitting the -sin B ?
    Precisely.

ReputationRep:
    Precisely.
    You know how you feel really happy when you solve a math problem and learn something new? That is what I am feeling right now. Gonna start STEP III 2006, do one question and start M5 - I've been doing so much STEP today that I have forgotten I am really behind on Further Mathematics A-level.

Thank you again. Have fun, and I hope you enjoy your movie!

ReputationRep:
    You know how you feel really happy when you solve a math problem and learn something new? That is what I am feeling right now. Gonna start STEP III 2006, do one question and start M5 - I've been doing so much STEP today that I have forgotten I am really behind on Further Mathematics A-level.

Thank you again. Have fun, and I hope you enjoy your movie!
    Thanks! I'll be doing STEP III 2006 as a mock on Monday or so.

...I need to start Physics. :lol:

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Say you wanted to differentiate a nasty function that might require multiple uses of the product rule or such, take logs!

Why take logs when you can take natural logs? Or is this what you meant?

Extension to this, using the same idea, roughly - attempt \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \log \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta
    Similarly, you meant to say natural log (\ln) right?

ReputationRep:

At any level higher than A-level \log and \ln are interchangeable, in mathematics at least.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    At any level higher than A-level \log and \ln are interchangeable, in mathematics at least.
    All right, I see. Thank you.
    I was a bit confused because I thought he meant log in base 10.

ReputationRep:

yeah he means natural log

edit:
    well looks like I'm late to the party

ReputationRep:
    Using implicit differentiation can make life easier.

Say you wanted to differentiate a nasty function that might require multiple uses of the product rule or such, take logs!

Let's say you have f(x) = x^p(x+1)^q(x+2)^r, do you really want to differentiate this normally? I'd hope you said no. What you'd want to do is:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\log f(x) = p \log x + q \log (x+1) + r \log (x+2) \Rightarrow f'(x) = f(x)\left(\frac{p}{x} + \frac{q}{x+1} + \frac{r}{x+2}\right)\end{equatio  n*}

and leaving your answer in this form, i.e: as f(x)(\cdots) is quite useful in many a STEP I question that I've come across.

As an aside, here's another place where it's useful: \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} |f(x)|, now the standard thing to do would be to consider intervals of x that makes f positive or negative and differentiate piecewise.

What'd I'd do is y = |f(x)| \Rightarrow y^2 = f(x)^2 \Rightarrow 2yy' = 2f'(x)f(x) \Rightarrow y' = \frac{f'(x)f(x)}{|f(x)|} - this also lets you know where the function is not differentiable.

I'll edit it a nice problem for you lot to try in a bit.
    Do you have one right now?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have one right now?
    Although it's brief you might like to prove the product and quotient rules for suitably defined functions using this sort of technique.

ReputationRep:
    As above - at any level above A-Level we have that \log and \ln are interchangeable.

Define f(x) = x^m(x-1)^n with both m, n being positive integers greater than 1. Show that the stationary point of this function in the interval (0,1) is a maximum if n is even and a minimum when n is odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    Although it's brief you might like to prove the product and quotient rules for suitably defined functions using this sort of technique.
    Can I just say that is a really nice avatar

ReputationRep:
    As above - at any level above A-Level we have that \log and \ln are interchangeable.
    Except in engineering, where they often use \log = \log_{10} ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Except in engineering, where they often use \log = \log_{10} ...
    And computer science, where sometimes \log = \log_{2}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    And Chemistry, where \log = \log_{10} when calculating pH.

ReputationRep:
    A STEP teacher at my college mentioned a 'loop' technique, he didn't go into any detail because he said it's not needed for A level. Does anybody know what it is?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.