Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing A level French and have always had a real knack for picking up languages. My family have Portuguese lineage and so I thought it would be a nice homage to that as well as fairly challenging, to try and teach myself a fairly decent level of the language. I'm happy to buy whatever books are needed, anyone got any recommendations as to where to start?

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to learn my mothertongue too! What I like to do is sit down with my grandma and watch movies with her - and I tell her to correct me on literally EVERYTHING. (also it's sweet cause she gets really happy I spend time with her too )

So ask your family to speak to you in Portuguese if they can And also watch movies cause that's quite fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    I'm trying to learn my mothertongue too! What I like to do is sit down with my grandma and watch movies with her - and I tell her to correct me on literally EVERYTHING. (also it's sweet cause she gets really happy I spend time with her too )

So ask your family to speak to you in Portuguese if they can And also watch movies cause that's quite fun
    Unfortunately the last native speaker in my family died some years ago, but thanks for the tip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PalindromeGirl)
    Unfortunately the last native speaker in my family died some years ago, but thanks for the tip
    Oh I'm sorry to hear that!

Movies are good though :yep:

And try to resist subtitles :rofl:

ReputationRep:

for me when learning foreign languages subtitles were actually great help - provided they're in the language the movie is in you can often find subs for deaf people etc. and they make it a lot easier to understand the spoken language initially

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viridiana)
    for me when learning foreign languages subtitles were actually great help - provided they're in the language the movie is in you can often find subs for deaf people etc. and they make it a lot easier to understand the spoken language initially
    Oh whoops I meant English subtitles

Foreign subtitles are great, totally agree :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm learning Portuguese at the moment, it's a great language. I'm in first year Uni but it's a beginner's class and we use this book: http://www.johnsmith.co.uk/product/9...world-language

Which I think is quite useful for beginners, it has all the verbs at the back and gives you info on Brazillian and Portuguese language structures, good luck!

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Viridiana)
    Oh whoops I meant English subtitles

Foreign subtitles are great, totally agree :yep:
    Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Hey, I'm learning Portuguese at the moment, it's a great language. I'm in first year Uni but it's a beginner's class and we use this book: http://www.johnsmith.co.uk/product/9...world-language

Which I think is quite useful for beginners, it has all the verbs at the back and gives you info on Brazillian and Portuguese language structures, good luck!
    50 quid!? :eek2: Are all uni books this expensive??

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately yes, you can find cheaper versions online but I just thought that'd be a good one to look out for, if you're using it recreationally, I'm sure you can find the older editions at a much cheaper price

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately yes, you can find cheaper versions online but I just thought that'd be a good one to look out for, if you're using it recreationally, I'm sure you can find the older editions at a much cheaper price
    Oh wow! Learn something new everyday!

Thanks for the tip

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the tip
    No problem, good luck with teaching yourself

ReputationRep:
    No problem, good luck with teaching yourself
    Thanks And good luck in class!

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the tip

Ahh thank you that's a big help x

ReputationRep:
    Well I live in Lisbon and trting to learn Portuguese and it is impossible. The pronounciation is so difficult. Plus everyone here speaks such good English it makes it impossible as they always insist on speaking to me in English even when I try to speak to them in Portugese.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.