Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to two colleges, but I'm stuck as to what to do!

I won't specify which colleges (for privacy) but the details will be the same:

College A:
    * Mainstream college
    * 99% pass rate (A* - E)
    * 35% higher pass rate (A* - B)
    * Need 5 GCSE Cs (plus Bs in Maths, Chemistry and one other science)
    * Easy to get to as I need to get on a coach to get there
    * Teachers that I spoke to on open days were excellent
    * VERY modern (only refurbished 2 years ago)
    * Atmosphere was great
    * Students were knowledgeable about life and studies there

College B:
    * Sixth form college
    * (Almost) 100% pass rate (A* - E)
    * 63% higher pass rate (A* - B)
    * Need 6 GCSE Bs (plus As in Maths and Chemistry)
    * Not as easy to get to as I need to get on two buses to get there
    * Teachers that I spoke to on open days were mostly great.
    * Quite modern (maths block 2 years ago, some of the place is still old fashioned)
    * Atmosphere was good
    * Students were VERY knowledgeable about life and studies there

I am taking Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science at A-level.
    I am predicted 1 A*, 6 As and 5 Bs at GCSE.

Any help would be appreciated, including as to why you chose the college you went to. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millenniman11)
    I have applied to two colleges, but I'm stuck as to what to do!

I won't specify which colleges (for privacy) but the details will be the same:

College A:
    * Mainstream college
    * 99% pass rate (A* - E)
    * 35% higher pass rate (A* - B)
    * Need 5 GCSE Cs (plus Bs in Maths, Chemistry and one other science)
    * Easy to get to as I need to get on a coach to get there
    * Teachers that I spoke to on open days were excellent
    * VERY modern (only refurbished 2 years ago)
    * Atmosphere was great
    * Students were knowledgeable about life and studies there

College B:
    * Sixth form college
    * (Almost) 100% pass rate (A* - E)
    * 63% higher pass rate (A* - B)
    * Need 6 GCSE Bs (plus As in Maths and Chemistry)
    * Not as easy to get to as I need to get on two buses to get there
    * Teachers that I spoke to on open days were mostly great.
    * Quite modern (maths block 2 years ago, some of the place is still old fashioned)
    * Atmosphere was good
    * Students were VERY knowledgeable about life and studies there

I am taking Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science at A-level.
    I am predicted 1 A*, 6 As and 5 Bs at GCSE.

Any help would be appreciated, including as to why you chose the college you went to. Thanks!
    I chose a sixth form college because I had tried a further education college the year before and I left because I was only 15 and ended up feeling uncomfortable at the college (this was to sit GCSEs before my A levels as I was taught at home). I found the sixth form college better with discipline, meaning I was more comfortable studying there and fulfilling my potential without fear of being teased just for being the sensible person I am. Having said that, some mainstream colleges have committed students and especially if you're studying A levels right from the start you know you'll be with people who have all passed GCSEs who (mainly) want to buckle down and study for their A levels.

As someone who had to catch 2 buses to sixth form college for 3 years I can say that all the travelling does have the potential to make you extraordinarily tired and fed up.

It's unlikely to affect your final A level grades too much, wherever you decide to go, as you'll be joining whatever college with your potential and it seems like the teachers are all up to the job. Both colleges have obviously had students get high results and it's likely that the sixth form has better results at the top simply because they have tougher restrictions on entrance. Do you feel as though you'd prefer to be amongst mostly high achieving students or would you feel okay being amongst more mixed ability students? That's basically the only difference I can see, along with the travel thing. Sometimes people who have to work harder for their grades actually have a better work ethic than those for whom great grades come naturally, so wherever you go you're likely to find people who work well and can be a good influence on you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I chose a sixth form college because I had tried a further education college the year before and I left because I was only 15 and ended up feeling uncomfortable at the college (this was to sit GCSEs before my A levels as I was taught at home). I found the sixth form college better with discipline, meaning I was more comfortable studying there and fulfilling my potential without fear of being teased just for being the sensible person I am. Having said that, some mainstream colleges have committed students and especially if you're studying A levels right from the start you know you'll be with people who have all passed GCSEs who (mainly) want to buckle down and study for their A levels.

As someone who had to catch 2 buses to sixth form college for 3 years I can say that all the travelling does have the potential to make you extraordinarily tired and fed up.

It's unlikely to affect your final A level grades too much, wherever you decide to go, as you'll be joining whatever college with your potential and it seems like the teachers are all up to the job. Both colleges have obviously had students get high results and it's likely that the sixth form has better results at the top simply because they have tougher restrictions on entrance. Do you feel as though you'd prefer to be amongst mostly high achieving students or would you feel okay being amongst more mixed ability students? That's basically the only difference I can see, along with the travel thing. Sometimes people who have to work harder for their grades actually have a better work ethic than those for whom great grades come naturally, so wherever you go you're likely to find people who work well and can be a good influence on you.
    A fantastic response. Thank you so much for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.