Turn on thread page Beta

£200m Royal ship to be named "Boaty McBoatface" watch

ReputationRep:
    The government has granted £200m investment for a new Royal Research Ship to advance UK polar research, this ship will have cutting edge technology for operation in both the Arctic and Antarctic, including helicopter capability and the ability to resupply the UK's Antarctic bases.

The Natural Environment Research Council put the naming rights for this great ship in the hands of the UK public inviting suggestions and voting at the NERC website.

The current runaway leader of the poll, as chosen by the British people, is "RRS Boaty McBoatface"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b030d552ef678a

ReputationRep:
    I love British people sometimes

ReputationRep:
    hmmm it seems a rather silly name. how about "What is that Big White Thingy ? Oops"

ReputationRep:
    Nice PoA in top 4.

ReputationRep:
    It is a great name.

ReputationRep:
    Whatever floats their boat.

ReputationRep:
    Makes me proud to be british

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    The government has granted £200m investment for a new Royal Research Ship to advance UK polar research, this ship will have cutting edge technology for operation in both the Arctic and Antarctic, including helicopter capability and the ability to resupply the UK's Antarctic bases.

The Natural Environment Research Council put the naming rights for this great ship in the hands of the UK public inviting suggestions and voting at the NERC website.

The current runaway leader of the poll, as chosen by the British people, is "RRS Boaty McBoatface"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b030d552ef678a

ROFL oh dear .....

ReputationRep:
    Heh. Don't know whether to laugh or cry for what this says of the state of our nation:mute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    We do have a dry sense of humor.
    Clever

ReputationRep:
    I'm very disappointed that they are probably going to not go with this. I spent yesterday evening giggling about this with my mum and my sister in law while my dad and brother looked on and rolled their eyes.

One of my friends pointed out something though, it should technically be Shippy McShipface...

ReputationRep:
    the instigator has apologised http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-jersey-35860760

NERC's website has mysteriously crashed http://nameourship.nerc.ac.uk/

However nice to see the tories finally paying the same lip service to neolib freemarket ideology as every other government in the world and awarding the ship building contract to a British shipyard employing British workers http://www.nerc.ac.uk/press/releases/2015/10-nprv/

ReputationRep:
    Dear people of Britain,

I love you.

Regards,

A foreigner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimarshmallow)
    I'm very disappointed that they are probably going to not go with this. I spent yesterday evening giggling about this with my mum and my sister in law while my dad and brother looked on and rolled their eyes.

One of my friends pointed out something though, it should technically be Shippy McShipface...
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a link, but if you are inclined to trusting random internet strangers. The people naming the boat are under no obligation to name the boat 'Boaty McBoatface' and will must likely take another name from the list of suggestions, if any, in a statement released by them not long after this made national news.

So we will not be seeing a Boaty McBoatface.

ReputationRep:
    since it's going to be spending it's time in the South Atlantic 'The Leopoldo Galtieri' would have been a far wittier suggestion IMO.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Surely they didn't expect to get any serious suggestions from an Internet poll? Either they were aiming for something silly to begin with, or they've managed to drift rather far off course…

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lacesso)
    Whatever floats their boat.
    That's pun gave me a sinking feeling.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2016
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.