The Student Room Group

Transfer from Edinburgh Uni to KCL - yes or no?

Hi there!
I'm a 1st year student at Edinburgh Uni.
I'm studying Philosophy and Theology (MA- which is like a 4 year bachelor).

I need some advise and opinions on transferring - currently I'm at UoE, but I received an offer for 2nd year entry at KCL. Go to London or stay in Edinburgh? Every honest recommendation very much appreciated.

I would like to transfer to KCL for very personal reasons - good friends & boyfriend in London. Family in Germany.So it is like I have 3 homes... Which is a bit much and emotionally exhausting (sorry to sound like a baby - I hope you understand what I mean anyway).
I'm struggling to settle in Edinburgh.
However, I am worried that I'll "downgrade". Isn't UoE's reputation better? Also, I am not sure what employers will think of a transfer (power of endurance etc.).
Additionally, the degree at KCL is a different one - BA Religion, Philosophy and Ethics, and it's only 3 years. Would that be disadvantageous you think?

Any experiences? What do KCL / UoE students think?

Thanks a lot guys!
Original post by Wilhelmine20
Hi there!

I need some advise and opinions on transferring - currently I'm at UoE, but I received an offer for 2nd year entry at KCL. Go to London or stay in Edinburgh? Every honest recommendation very much appreciated.

I would like to transfer to KCL for very personal reasons - good friends & boyfriend in London. Family in Germany.So it is like I have 3 homes... Which is a bit much and emotionally exhausting (sorry to sound like a baby - I hope you understand what I mean anyway).
However, I am worried that I'll "downgrade". Isn't UoE's reputation better? Also, I am not sure what employers will think of a transfer (power of endurance etc.).
Additionally, the degree at KCL is a different one - BA Religion, Philosophy and Ethics, and it's only 3 years. Would that be disadvantageous you think?

Thanks a lot guys!

Sorry noone has replied yet

Have you tried posting in the stickied threads (these tend to get the widest audience) here in the Philosophy, religious studies and theology forum and in the King's College London forum?

In the meantime have you worked out your deadlines - you can accept an offer for KCL without committing to leave Ed - even applying for accommodation etc can be fine depending on the small print (universities know that a lot of students change their mind or simply don't get the grades in the Summer so you wont be held to any commitment to switch from accepting an offer on UCAS).
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Sorry noone has replied yet

Have you tried posting in the stickied threads (these tend to get the widest audience) here in the Philosophy, religious studies and theology forum and in the King's College London forum?

In the meantime have you worked out your deadlines - you can accept an offer for KCL without committing to leave Ed - even applying for accommodation etc can be fine depending on the small print (universities know that a lot of students change their mind or simply don't get the grades in the Summer so you wont be held to any commitment to switch from accepting an offer on UCAS).

Thanks for the reply :smile: I'll repost it in the forums you recommended. I was guessing that'd be the case as I don't know my grades yet. I wanted to call them as well but they're very busy atm.
Reply 3
Original post by Wilhelmine20
Hi there!

Thanks a lot guys!

Hi,

A 1st year KCL BA Philosophy student here.

I would definitely not consider the proposed transfer a downgrade. King's overall is ranked almost identically with Edinburgh by all the international papers (within the top 30 in the world). While at the national rankings I wouldn't even look, for the philosophy specific ones - I guess Edinburgh has a slight edge here. According to QS 2016, it is 21st with King's being 27th. But I doubt that those numbers reflect any real difference in the universities' academic power.

If you have any specific questions regarding studying here at KCL - do let me know!

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending