Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have received a conditional offer from LSE for the Msc in Economics. Im waiting for Yale and Columbia to reply. Which college do you think I should go to? LSE is great but being an international student, its hard to stay back and work there. I've heard the Columbia students get good jobs but the course is super expensive. I also plan to do a Phd somewhere down the line.

Any thoughts on this would be great!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! The same question here. I have got offers from LSE MSc Economics, Cambridge MPhil Economics, Oxford MSc Economics for Development, Yale IDE and Columbia MA Economics.

Really undecided.
    What's your opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Well I got rejected by Yale for the IDE course
    Im still waiting on Columbia. I am kinda leaning towards columbia since the job opportunities for international students seems exponentially greater there than in the UK after a PG. Cost is a concern though.

ReputationRep:
    Did u do the interview for Columbia? The IDE costs almost the same. Well the costs for international students are all very high. Do you intend to do a terminal master or look for a funded Ph.D. later?

ReputationRep:
    Im probably going to try for a funded Ph.D later, but I intend to work before that.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntisocialFatman)
    Im probably going to try for a funded Ph.D later, but I intend to work before that.

What about you?
    Same. But thinking of a PhD straight after the master.
    My perceived opinion is that working might not help with PhD application (unless working for the uni or research agents). It may be even harder to return to school after several years.
    Why do you want to work first?

In the case of PhD, I don't think IDE is the suitable course. So no pity on that.

ReputationRep:
    I've also heard that IDE isnt great if you want a Phd.
    I dont want to be in academia for too long. Im not naturally very social (im not anti social either, but I do tend to be on the introverted side). Hopefully working for a bit will develop that side of me and keep me in touch with what people do in real life. Hopefully that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    I've also heard that IDE isnt great if you want a Phd.
    I dont want to be in academia for too long. Im not naturally very social (im not anti social either, but I do tend to be on the introverted side). Hopefully working for a bit will develop that side of me and keep me in touch with what people do in real life. Hopefully that makes sense
    Lol, fair enough! I've just spoken to my academic advisor today. Her advice is that (1)LSE>Oxbridge>Yale>Columbia (2) better to take gap year(s) before the PhD (just as your plan!). Hope this hopes a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks! Are you going to take up the Msc at LSE now?

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks! Are you going to take up the Msc at LSE now?
    Haha still not very decided. Now most probably is MSc Econs for Development in Oxford. Heard that they work on a quite serious thesis from day one. Research experience is something I really need!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great dude! All the best

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have received a conditional offer from LSE for the Msc in Economics. Im waiting for Yale and Columbia to reply. Which college do you think I should go to? LSE is great but being an international student, its hard to stay back and work there. I've heard the Columbia students get good jobs but the course is super expensive. I also plan to do a Phd somewhere down the line.

Any thoughts on this would be great!
    Dude, congrats! When and how did you hear from LSE? I am still waiting for their decision :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madnuts)
    Dude, congrats! When and how did you hear from LSE? I am still waiting for their decision :/
    I heard from them around the middle of march (i cant see the exact date cause I got the email a week later and the portal said thay the decision had been made before the portal was updated)

Also, Im the guy that pmed you about the EME course initually. Cant believe that they still havent gotten back to you

ReputationRep:
    I heard from them around the middle of march (i cant see the exact date cause I got the email a week later and the portal said thay the decision had been made before the portal was updated)

Also, Im the guy that pmed you about the EME course initually. Cant believe that they still havent gotten back to you
    Haha, I remember that. Everybody around me is getting their decisions and I am still browsing forums like a loner :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Well, offers still come out in April. And they havent rejected you yet so you're still under consideration.

best of luck man!

ReputationRep:
    Well, offers still come out in April. And they havent rejected you yet so you're still under consideration.

best of luck man!
    I received my rejection for MSc Economics from LSE yesterday - thought you ought to know, since we have been in touch during our application process :P

ReputationRep:
    I received my rejection for MSc Economics from LSE yesterday - thought you ought to know, since we have been in touch during our application process :P
    That sucks, man. Where are you planning to go now?

ReputationRep:
    That sucks, man. Where are you planning to go now?
    UCL. A little heartbroken, so I am looking at pictures of the Portico and distracting myself with accommodation options haha.

ReputationRep:
    UCL. A little heartbroken, so I am looking at pictures of the Portico and distracting myself with accommodation options haha.
    Well, UCL is supposed to have a stellar Economics faculty. And if its of any help, LSE dropped down to 7 in the qs rankings this year for eco

ReputationRep:
    Well, UCL is supposed to have a stellar Economics faculty. And if its of any help, LSE dropped down to 7 in the qs rankings this year for eco
    Hey! So where are you off to, finally?
    I am such a creep. Lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.