Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people think Donald Trump is racist? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    And what's wrong with that?
    Although apparently made up, it would make a lot of sense.

The argument against executing terrorists is always that it makes them martyrs and perversely therefore advances their cause.

Executing them in a way that makes they (and any potential supporters or followers) think they will be disgraced and go to hell strikes at the heart of this objection.

Apparently Islamic State soldiers are terrified of being killed by female Peshmerga fighters for that very reason.

Of course it is absurd, the pig's blood, or whatever you use makes no difference. But it uses their belief system against them.

It would be a very condign punishment.

ReputationRep:
    There's also... a moral objection to spiritually attacking somebody as well as physically, no matter how terrible they are? Trump advocated threatening terrorists' families as well, which is another possible war crime for which the main objection is moral.

Moral objections aside, though, surely the intentional mockery of a belief system inherent in the act of killing Muslims with bullets covered in pig's blood would intensify terrorists' hatred of the West and help them recruit?

ReputationRep:
    Mate just look at what he says against mexicans and muslims....are you watching the news?

ReputationRep:
    So when he clearly called Mexican's rapists... that wasn't racism... but something else?(approx. 15% of his armed forces are Hispanic)okay then...

He would likely bring the country to civil war, and probably be a step towards being a North Korea of the West.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ikhan94)
    Mate just look at what he says against mexicans and muslims....are you watching the news?
    Not to get too technical, but neither of those groups are a race. One refers to a nationality, the other a religion. 'Xenophobic' or 'bigoted' would be more accurate adjectives, depending on what he's saying about them.

Anyway, all the crap he comes out with at his rallies is mostly just theatrics. I don't think he believes half of the inflammatory junk he says. But it gets people riled up and generates publicity (and he knows it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Not to get too technical, but neither of those groups are a race. One refers to a nationality, the other a religion. 'Xenophobic' or 'bigoted' would be more accurate adjectives, depending on what he's saying about them.

Anyway, all the crap he comes out with at his rallies is mostly just theatrics. I don't think he believes half of the inflammatory junk he says. But it gets people riled up and generates publicity (and he knows it).
    I dunno. Race is quite an arbitrary term. I personally think it still stands, semantically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(...ategorization)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean01234)
    He settled the case. And then changed operating practices. I'd say they're more than just allegations.
    I would have to read more into to this to really comment.

But even if he didn't, the question said 'will you say that you don't want his vote, or the vote of other white supremacists?' I don't see how that was unclear.
    Considering the subject matter, its a leading question. The implication is that certain groups or individuals that support trump are white supremacists, while this is true, it would be pretty silly of him to condemn people without specifically knowing who he was supposedly condemning. Condemning them would be tantamount to accusing the persons implied are white supremacists, when they may not be.

As far as David Duke goes, I'll have to look into it some more.

Supporting violence, against a homeless Latino man... They broke his nose and then urinated on him.
    That makes the perpetrators racist, not Trump. It's not as if he calculatedly endorsed the violence.

I would say, at best, this suggests Trump doesn't care if his supporters are Racist, not that he himself is racist.

Directly racist, no. But when the first black president is elected, guess who is trying to undermine and remove him. Maybe he had another issue with obama, but it does seem very convenient.
    It is very unlikely that this issue would come up if Obama was white, but this isn't Trump's invention. There are lots of reasons Republicans dislike Obama beyond his skin colour though. The fact he has done such a great job being one of the largest ones.

When he also wants to ban all Muslims entering the country, I'd say it shows a hatred towards them.
    Maybe, but Islam isn't a race

But he doesn't just talk about the guilty, he wants to bomb the families of terrorists. He actually suggested a war crime against Muslims in an interview.
    Suggesting a war crime is not the same as being racist.

I don't really know what you expect in terms of evidence, hes not going to turn around and say it outright because he wants to win votes. But there are too many small suggestions to say that he isn't at least making calculated appeals to racism if he isn't in fact racist himself.
    Exactly. He might very well be racist (most people are). My issue is when people start declaring leaders as racists, terrorists sympathizers or whatever, without any evidence other than what they read into quotes and actions.

So until I see something that really shows Trump to be racist, I won't call him one and will continue to challenge those that do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    x
    Your ignorance is too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A$aprocky)
    Your ignorance is too much
    Pointing out someones ignorance is pointless unless you intend to correct them.

ReputationRep:
    Pointing out someones ignorance is pointless unless you intend to correct them.
    I would correct you but I dont have all night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellodave5)
    I dunno. Race is quite an arbitrary term. I personally think it still stands, semantically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(...ategorization)
    It primarily - and more accurately - refers to physical traits. Using nationality and religion to define race is an inaccurate colloquialism and frivolous misuse of the word, if you ask me.

Saying you don't want illegal Mexican immigrants in the States is really no different than saying you don't want illegal Canadian immigrants. But few people would call that "racist". It's conflating illegal nationals with "Hispanic people" to make it sound worse and more bigoted than it is.

When the word racist thrown around so much, and improperly, the term becomes diluted and increasingly meaningless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    It primarily - and more accurately - refers to physical traits. Using nationality and religion to define race is an inaccurate colloquialism and frivolous misuse of the word, if you ask me.

Saying you don't want illegal Mexican immigrants in the States is really no different than saying you don't want illegal Canadian immigrants. But few people would call that "racist". It's conflating illegal nationals with "Hispanic people" to make it sound worse and more bigoted than it is.

When the word racist thrown around so much, and improperly, the term becomes diluted and increasingly meaningless.
    Agreed.
    But I have the feeling that he would generalise from Mexicans with Hispanics, with regards to his statements, and Muslims to people of certain phenotypic traits. That would be racism.
    Maybe its just my perception of him biasing me. Hopefully its just him playing the ridiculous democratic system.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. He might very well be racist (most people are). My issue is when people start declaring leaders as racists, terrorists sympathizers or whatever, without any evidence other than what they read into quotes and actions.

So until I see something that really shows Trump to be racist, I won't call him one and will continue to challenge those that do.
    I could go through point by point again but this last part is where I disagree the most. It basically means that you can't call anyone racist, unless they've done something glaringly obvious like joined the KKK or got a swastika tattooed on their forehead, because you always judge people on their actions and what they say (its all you have to by).

Trump has had chances to distance himself from racism. But he hasn't taken them. Whether its because he is racist or he's trying to win votes, I don't actually care. To me using it to win votes is almost as bad as being racist, because it means he must really not care about it as an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know about racist, but Trump is definitely right about the muslims. They are a threat, and we should not be letting them across our borders.

We also need to have more active surveillance and policing of the muslims that are already here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A$aprocky)
    I would correct you but I dont have all night.
    In other words you dont have anything.

I could go through point by point again but this last part is where I disagree the most. It basically means that you can't call anyone racist, unless they've done something glaringly obvious like joined the KKK or got a swastika tattooed on their forehead, because you always judge people on their actions and what they say (its all you have to by).
    In all fairness I wouldn't call someone racist just by association with a racist organization either, but rather racist actions themselves. But more importantly, I don't believe it's right to accuse someone of something based only on assumptions about intentions or because they've said something else bad. There are plenty of comments made by people that betray their racism, the problem is I've yet to see one from Trump which accurately shows this. He is xenophobic sure, but that's not the same as being racist, and I think it's an important distinction.
    To me using it to win votes is almost as bad as being racist, because it means he must really not care about it as an issue.
    This is where I really disagree, and something I disagree with TSR policy. I do not see not caring about racism as an issue and being racist as the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC.)
    I dont know about racist, but Trump is definitely right about the muslims. They are a threat, and we should not be letting them across our borders.

We also need to have more active surveillance and policing of the muslims that are already here.
    lol wtf

ReputationRep:
    [/QUOTE]

In other words you dont have anything.

In all fairness I wouldn't call someone racist just by association with a racist organization either, but rather racist actions themselves. But more importantly, I don't believe it's right to accuse someone of something based only on assumptions about intentions or because they've said something else bad. There are plenty of comments made by people that betray their racism, the problem is I've yet to see one from Trump which accurately shows this. He is xenophobic sure, but that's not the same as being racist, and I think it's an important distinction.

This is where I really disagree, and something I disagree with TSR policy. I do not see not caring about racism as an issue and being racist as the same.
    And that is why your opinion is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    He seems to be targeting crazed racists and bigots for supporters. The fact that he does not care that these are the sort of people he attracts speaks volumes about him. And he's a bigot towards Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Friendly reminder that Bernie Sanders has made the most racist comment in this Presidential race so far:

"When you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor. You don’t know what it’s like to be hassled when you walk down the street or you get dragged out of a car,"

Nobody bats an eyelid when an actual genuine racist comment is made towards white people. Trump has said some questionable things, but I don't think he has ever been racist. I would argue nothing he has said is as bad as the comment Sanders made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NickLCFC)
    Friendly reminder that Bernie Sanders has made the most racist comment in this Presidential race so far:

"When you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor. You don’t know what it’s like to be hassled when you walk down the street or you get dragged out of a car,"

Nobody bats an eyelid when an actual genuine racist comment is made towards white people. Trump has said some questionable things, but I don't think he has ever been racist. I would argue nothing he has said is as bad as the comment Sanders made.
    He was not associating negative characteristics to White people as Trump did with Muslims. And if you're going to pull the "Islam isn't a race" card that point is moot, as it makes no sense to suggest closing borders if you did not view Muslims that way.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.