Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunni money)
    Businesses often discriminate against different groups of consumers (e.g. male/female at clubs).

The onus is on you to prove that he did so in a way that made it racist - a good step would be to substantiate some of your assertions.
    When a club discriminates based on gender, thats sexist. If they were to do it based on race, that would be racist.

When Trumps real estate company (which he was managing at the time) tells black people that there aren't any apartments available and then went and showed white people around available apartments. Thats racist. When they coded applications based on color and told black people that prices were higher than they really were. Thats racist.

Trump settled the case and then changed operating practices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    "Xenophobe," "bigot," "racist." So many incorrectly used terms in this thread. It's obvious the 'liberals' (aka fascists) are feeling a little overwhelmed by our objective analysis of what Trump says which is debunking everything they're saying. Such insults are used only when a liberal knows they are losing the argument.
    This argument only exists because of people wanting to get specific on the definition of racism.

Whether Donald Trump is actually racist or trying to win votes, is yet to be proven. No discussion exists about whether Trump is a douchebag or not. Here's something for you to objectively analyse: Trump suggested (in an interview) breaking the Geneva convention to bomb families of terrorists. He would commit mass murder on civilians. Keep all technicalities of racism you want, he's a vile creature.

ReputationRep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    That's different because Obama was actually born in the US but Trump claimed that he was lying and sent "investigators" over to Hawaii to prove it. Obama even ended up producing a copy of his birth certificate to shut Trump up.
    Cruz was born in the US, I think. But what's the difference, he tries to question his opponent's citizenship to benefit himself, irrelevant of race. To claim that he did it because of Obama's race is just stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think the Pope is Catholic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    Cruz was born in the US, I think. But what's the difference, he tries to question his opponent's citizenship to benefit himself, irrelevant of race. To claim that he did it because of Obama's race is just stupid.
    No, he was born in Canada. Trump did not go to the lengths of "investigating" him and he has not done so for any other candidate.

So it seems that the only other Presidential candidate whose birthplace he brought into question was Cruz for being born in Canada, which he was. On the other hand even after Obama confirmed that he was born in the US Trump kept insisting that he was lying and trying to prove that to be the case. So it makes perfect sense to assume that he was doing this because of Obama's race.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think the sky is blue?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunni money)
    You cannot use "liberal" interchangeably with "fascist". That is stupid, although I agree with the sentiments behind it - in that many who oppose Trump do so on emotionally-charged grounds, and have no actual arguments to substantiate many of the assertions they make about him (illustrated in this thread).

Source?
    That's why I put the word in inverted commas.

Last time I checked free speech goes both ways. We are just as free to call him out on his views as he is to express them. One could just as easily say that it's "fascist" to voice your dislike for liberals if we were to go by the context in which you used the word.
    Indeed they could. However, since I am not actively trying to impose my views on others I'm not actually being fascist. The 'liberals' try to force people to adopt their views by accusing them of racism, fascism and of being xenophobic. Such accusations can and do have major negative impacts on people's lives, regardless of whether the claims are true or not. So this whole labelling thing is effectively a form of both threats and blackmail, meaning that views are being forced upon people. This is exactly what I mean when I say that the 'liberals' are fascist. See the difference?

ReputationRep:
    Indeed they could. However, since I am not actively trying to impose my views on others I'm not actually being fascist. The 'liberals' try to force people to adopt their views by accusing them of racism, fascism and of being xenophobic. Such accusations can and do have major negative impacts on people's lives, regardless of whether the claims are true or not. So this whole labelling thing is effectively a form of both threats and blackmail, meaning that views are being forced upon people. This is exactly what I mean when I say that the 'liberals' are fascist. See the difference?
    And if someone really is racist or bigoted or xenophobic then what's the problem? We're not forcing them to change their views by calling a spade a spade, where's the threat? They can embrace who they are or if it bothers them so much then that's not our problem, but goes to prove that they have a problem with themselves.

ReputationRep:
    He's an idiot

He will make America a sad place when he gets in

ReputationRep:
    No, he was born in Canada. Trump did not go to the lengths of "investigating" him and he has not done so for any other candidate.

So it seems that the only other Presidential candidate whose birthplace he brought into question was Cruz for being born in Canada, which he was. On the other hand even after Obama confirmed that he was born in the US Trump kept insisting that he was lying and trying to prove that to be the case. So it makes perfect sense to assume that he was doing this because of Obama's race.
    It's not sensible at all! Once again you've jumped to conclusions. Let's take a look at some important details.

1) Undermining the opponent's claim to presidency can weaken his campaign and strengthen your own. It's a trick all politicians worth their salt know and use. This is what Trump was doing.

2) Uncertainties in the facts can be manipulated to create doubts among the opposition's supporters, which helps to achieve the above point.

3) The other candidates (other than Obama and Cruz) didn't have any uncertainty about their birth place.

4) Once doubt has been created among the opposition's supporters, insisting that you're correct can increase that doubt. It also puts the opposition under a great deal of pressure, the stress of which makes them much more prone to mistakes and/or of momentarily losing their cool and revealing their true colours.

5) Obama is a greater threat as an opponent than Cruz because he has a lot more experience. It therefore becomes necessary to do more investigating to find good dirt on him.

This is what Trump was doing. It had nothing to do with racism, it's merely a bit of political maneuvering. He performed it very well actually. His whole image is "here I am, this is who I am and what I think." He's very open about his opinions, so he comes across as an honest politician. This is what makes the tactics he's used so effective. He not only weakens the opposition with these relatively commonplace maneuvers, but it significantly strengthens his campaign by creating negative images of the opposition. It's a case of, "Cruz and Obama are hiding things from us, but not Trump! He's not afraid to show us who he really is, he's a real man!" It's ingenious!

The thing to remember is that all politicians are scumbags, but the smarter ones end up being the better leaders.
    Sanders and Clinton have attempted to do the same thing to Trump by utilising this pathetic "dats wasist" craze, however neither of them has the brains to pull it off. Clinton's slander campaign didn't even get off the ground because interviews of her expressing some very bigoted opinions were available from all over the Internet. Sanders' campaign has had some success, though the whole thing is destroyed when people look at what Trump really said. In fact, the reason why Trump uses phrases which can easily be twisted is probably because when Sanders and Clinton twist them their supporters go and look at what Trump really says to find dirt on the guy. Upon doing so some of the smarter ones notice that he's not saying anything racist and start doubting what Sanders and Clinton say. In this way Trump is probably deceiving Sanders and Clinton into undermining their own campaigns! The man truly is a political genius.
    There's plenty more I could point out but I think the above sufficiently proves my point.

ReputationRep:
    It's not sensible at all! Once again you've jumped to conclusions. Let's take a look at some important details.

1) Undermining the opponent's claim to presidency can weaken his campaign and strengthen your own. It's a trick all politicians worth their salt know and use. This is what Trump was doing.

2) Uncertainties in the facts can be manipulated to create doubts among the opposition's supporters, which helps to achieve the above point.

3) The other candidates (other than Obama and Cruz) didn't have any uncertainty about their birth place.

4) Once doubt has been created among the opposition's supporters, insisting that you're correct can increase that doubt. It also puts the opposition under a great deal of pressure, the stress of which makes them much more prone to mistakes and/or of momentarily losing their cool and revealing their true colours.

5) Obama is a greater threat as an opponent than Cruz because he has a lot more experience. It therefore becomes necessary to do more investigating to find good dirt on him.

This is what Trump was doing. It had nothing to do with racism, it's merely a bit of political maneuvering. He performed it very well actually. His whole image is "here I am, this is who I am and what I think." He's very open about his opinions, so he comes across as an honest politician. This is what makes the tactics he's used so effective. He not only weakens the opposition with these relatively commonplace maneuvers, but it significantly strengthens his campaign by creating negative images of the opposition. It's a case of, "Cruz and Obama are hiding things from us, but not Trump! He's not afraid to show us who he really is, he's a real man!" It's ingenious!

The thing to remember is that all politicians are scumbags, but the smarter ones end up being the better leaders.
    Sanders and Clinton have attempted to do the same thing to Trump by utilising this pathetic "dats wasist" craze, however neither of them has the brains to pull it off. Clinton's slander campaign didn't even get off the ground because interviews of her expressing some very bigoted opinions were available from all over the Internet. Sanders' campaign has had some success, though the whole thing is destroyed when people look at what Trump really said. In fact, the reason why Trump uses phrases which can easily be twisted is probably because when Sanders and Clinton twist them their supporters go and look at what Trump really says to find dirt on the guy. Upon doing so some of the smarter ones notice that he's not saying anything racist and start doubting what Sanders and Clinton say. In this way Trump is probably deceiving Sanders and Clinton into undermining their own campaigns! The man truly is a political genius.
    There's plenty more I could point out but I think the above sufficiently proves my point.
    1) Obama was already President of the US, so it was too late to undermine his claim. He was never a political opponent of Trump either.

2) See my first point.

3) There was no certainty in Obama's birthplace, why would there? Donald Trump was insisting that there was uncertainty but that does not make it the case.

4) There was no point in doing that due to the first point that I made.

5) Same as #4

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.