The Student Room Group

Clearing for Physics course

Hi, I would like to know which unis are likely to be in Clearing for Physics course? Will there be top universities offering this course that would be in Clearing? Cause I read this one article saying that sometimes unis that are well known with any one particular course still offer that course in Clearing. I have yet to apply and I'm gonna sit AS and A2 at the same time later in May/June for Chem, Phy and Maths so high chance I will be applying once my actual results come out (in August) so meaning to say that I'm automatically already in the Clearing list. Thank you!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
My son has applied for Physics this year. Last year on A Level results day I bought a copy of the Daily telegraph as it publishes a listing of all clearing vacancies every year on Day One. Obviously this list changes once clearing kicks off but it pays to be prepared. You can order a back copy from their website.

The unis on the list offering the straight BSc or MSc/MPhys were, in no particular order: York, Surrey, Sussex,Southampton, Sheffield, Newcastle,Leeds,Lancaster, Cardiff, Loughborough, Royal Holloway, Cardiff, Hertfordshire and Salford.There were a few others offering only foundation or other strange combinations of courses. Bristol was also on the list, but I asked them about this at an offer holders day and they said they only had a couple of places and went into clearing really as an admin slip - all unis have a few places not taken up, and they just make/get a few calls normally to get them filled and don't bother with clearing.

I think last year for possibly the first time, UCAS put online a list of all courses in clearing the night before Results day - so you have a few extra hours to some research the night before.
Hi thank you for the info! Are there any unis that might have places but aren't listed in the Clearing? As in they will just wait for people to call them to fill up the empty spots? Thank you once again!
Reply 3
Original post by sheyrazen
Hi thank you for the info! Are there any unis that might have places but aren't listed in the Clearing? As in they will just wait for people to call them to fill up the empty spots? Thank you once again!

I think there will be a couple of places at most unis even if they arent in clearing as inevitably people drop out if they change their mind or decide to defer a year. A friends son was rejected after interview by Cambridge - but they called and offered him a place on results day. You'd be best to try names on the clearing list first as its a race, and they are guaranteed to have some places. When you have an offer from one of them, then try ringing round good unis not on the list.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending