Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I have a little question for you guys: what uni whould I put as my insurance choice? I've applied to computer science at Imperial College London, University of Bristol, University of Southampton, University of Sheffield and University of Liverpool and, luckily, got conditional offers from all of them. I'll definitely firm Imperial, but they have high demands (I will take the Romanian Baccalaureat and they asked for an average score of 9.7 out of 10, with at least 9.8 in Mathematics and Computer Science), so I must prepare, just in case, a good insurance option.

My thoughts were to put Bristol insurance, but I would like to hear some other opinions as well. I've heard that Southampton has a good CS department, as well. What would you recommend me in terms of quality of the course? And in terms of student life, average salary after graduation or, let's say, prestige?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by aandrew)
    Hello!

I have a little question for you guys: what uni whould I put as my insurance choice? I've applied to computer science at Imperial College London, University of Bristol, University of Southampton, University of Sheffield and University of Liverpool and, luckily, got conditional offers from all of them. I'll definitely firm Imperial, but they have high demands (I will take the Romanian Baccalaureat and they asked for an average score of 9.7 out of 10, with at least 9.8 in Mathematics and Computer Science), so I must prepare, just in case, a good insurance option.

My thoughts were to put Bristol insurance, but I would like to hear some other opinions as well. I've heard that Southampton has a good CS department, as well. What would you recommend me in terms of quality of the course? And in terms of student life, average salary after graduation or, let's say, prestige?
    Have you compared the accommodation guarantees for your options for insurance:
    http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...ked-questions/ no guarantee, no way to apply as an insurance student
    http://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-lif...page#Insurance guaranteed room in hall if you apply by 1st August
    https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/accommod...undergraduate/ no guarantee but they say most insurance students will be housed
    http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/accommodation/guarantee don't have the information available for the peak period that students are choosing their firm/insurance

If your firm choice is risky then make sure you're 100% happy with your insurance (and if they don't guarantee accommodation that you're prepared for travelling to the UK early and staying in hotel/hostels/temporary accommodation while you find somewhere to live). Of the four universities you're considering Computer Science is considered one of Southampton's strengths (while the CS courses elsewhere are good they're not considered one of the star departments - that might not matter to you at all) and it performs well in league tables for CS, in part because of an extremely high level of spending on student facilities for CS students. I'd recommend you do some research - most of these universities will offer virtual or online open days to get a feel for the environment. Use google streetview to get a feel for the area and the journey you could be taking in to uni every day. Have a look at the CS department websites and the computing societies in the student union to try to get a feel for whether these are places you would be happy and look in detail at the course content and structure

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.