Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Please tell me how this works?

Example:
    A girl and a boy/a girl and girl/boy and boy start dating when they are fairly young. One is let's one is 13 and other is 15 and they are still going strong until the older reaches 18. That makes him/her dating a 16 year old, does it count as pedophilia? If they want to have sex, would that be a crime for the 18 year old? I mean maybe 16 and 18 is not that super bad, but let's say the gap is bigger? Do they need to hide having sex or wait till the other becomes 18 as well?

ReputationRep:
    as long as they have both reached their 16th birthday there is no illegality.

(Original post by the bear)
    as long as they have both reached their 16th birthday there is no illegality.
    What if one is 18 and other is 15?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    they have not "both reached their 16th birthday"

ReputationRep:
    it would be illegal if one partner was underage and the other wasn't, but I'm pretty sure the police wouldn't be too bothered if they were in a long term relationship and were close in age/only just under age

ReputationRep:
    They both have to be over the age of consent in the relevant country for it to be legal. Morality is a different discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Underage sex is underage sex, regardless of the circumstance.

HOWEVER

If they're in a proper relationship and no-one knows, or minds, that they're having sex at, say, 17 and 15, then the police are never going to get involved and it's not going to result in any problems. Most likely thing is that the parents of the 15-year-old would find out and report it, but if that never happens (either because they don't know or they're cool with it) then there's no issue.

It's like with most crimes. Unless it directly affects someone, then no-one's gonna care.

ReputationRep:
    i think if you are 16+ then it's legal
    but i dunno - i am not into this

ReputationRep:
    Please tell me how this works?

Example:
    A girl and a boy/a girl and girl/boy and boy start dating when they are fairly young. One is let's one is 13 and other is 15 and they are still going strong until the older reaches 18. That makes him/her dating a 16 year old, does it count as pedophilia? If they want to have sex, would that be a crime for the 18 year old? I mean maybe 16 and 18 is not that super bad, but let's say the gap is bigger? Do they need to hide having sex or wait till the other becomes 18 as well?
    Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children, generally age 11 years or younger.

(Original post by Alexion)
    Underage sex is underage sex, regardless of the circumstance.

HOWEVER

If they're in a proper relationship and no-one knows, or minds, that they're having sex at, say, 17 and 15, then the police are never going to get involved and it's not going to result in any problems. Most likely thing is that the parents of the 15-year-old would find out and report it, but if that never happens (either because they don't know or they're cool with it) then there's no issue.

It's like with most crimes. Unless it directly affects someone, then no-one's gonna care.
    Good points, thanks! I just curious how it works.

(Original post by thefatone)
    Pedophilia or paedophilia is a psychiatric disorder in which an adult or older adolescent experiences a primary or exclusive sexual attraction to prepubescent children, generally age 11 years or younger.
    Yeah, I get it. Maybe the example I gave wasn't that extreme, but it could be if you put a bigger age gap?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's bad if it's done between two consenting people of similar age bands

(Original post by Alpacca)
    I don't think it's bad if it's done between two consenting people of similar age bands
    What age band would be acceptable? 0-3 years?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get it. Maybe the example I gave wasn't that extreme, but it could be if you put a bigger age gap?
    probably

Then you got an Adam Johnson style court case on your hands!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    When what became the Sexual Offences Act 2003 was being debated in Parliament, a case of champagne was on offer to anyone who could come up with wording that both criminalised abusive behaviour involving someone 'underage' but which avoided criminalising non-abusive behaviour. No-one won it.

So we're left with the situation that if someone is sexual with someone they don't reasonably believe is at least 16 (18 where there is a position of trust involved) they are behaving illegally, but that as a matter of policy some will never be prosecuted.

There's no fixed 'ok if you're less than x years apart' age rule and a variety of things will be looked at, including the nature of the relationship... if the police ever find out about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.