Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a British citizen, but since I've been living abroad for over three years, I'll have to pay the sky high overseas tuition fees. I attend an international school where I live and so I've been exposed to university visits from just about every country I'd be interested in studying in. Canada is definitely a pragmatic option; namely the University of Toronto. It's a world class university which consistently performs well on international university tables. In Canada, tuition fees are much lower, and I just feel like it is a much more student friendly country. Since I'm British, if I do end up studying in Canada, I'll have to obtain a student visa which expires practically as soon as I graduate. I'd prefer to work and live in England once I've obtained a degree. I'm still going to apply to English universities; UCL is my first choice. However, I was just wondering; would a Canadian degree, specifically from a prestigious university like UofT help me land a job or are my chances essentially nil? Or at the very least permit my entry into postgrad programmes that would help me find employment in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    It might depend what work you want to go into, but I think for the most part it won't matter if you have a Canadian degree.

Its unlikely to be an issue in any sector if its a respected uni + course.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by MaliciousLeBlanc)
    However, I was just wondering; would a Canadian degree, specifically from a prestigious university like UofT help me land a job or are my chances essentially nil? Or at the very least permit my entry into postgrad programmes that would help me find employment in the UK.
    In engineering (given this is the engineering forum)? If your Toronto engineering degree is suitably accredited then yes you will be fine.

You can check here: https://www.engc.org.uk/glossary-faq...ualifications/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'll be fine with a Canadian degree, for engineering you might want to do a Masters in the UK though to make sure your route to chartership is up to scratch however that's not something you have to do immediately after graduation.

As for UK universities, costs are going to be a lot higher at anywhere in London, especially UCL, and UCL doesn't have the best reputation within the UK for being able to run engineering courses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.