Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have an interview for PGCE Secondary English at the University of Nottingham soon and I wondered if anyone had any advice to give regarding the day or questions?

Any help would be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I had an interview for Secondary History at the same university so they might be quite similar. I assume you've been given some sort of presentation to do? I had to plan a lesson and prepare a starter for it to present to the rest of the interviewees, so if this is the same for you I'd recommend finding out how many people you're presenting to, just so you can cater for the right group size.

In terms of the one to one interview portion, they asked me a lot of "what would you do if..." questions, and stuff about my classroom experience. The questions weren't difficult to answer in my opinion, as long as you stay calm and think before you speak it's nothing to worry about.

I also had to do a written task, which was pretty much just judging my ability to read and write properly. This might be a bigger portion of your interview if it's for English, but it wasn't a particularly difficult task for me. It took about 15 minutes to read what they gave me and then write a response of about a page; it's not really something I could prepare for, but as I said before yours might be different, or for a different purpose.

I think my best tip would be to remember they aren't expecting you to be an amazing teacher yet, because that's what they're going to teach you on the course. They're looking for key skills that would make a good potential teacher, for example, enthusiasm, confidence, organisation etc, so if you can display those things definitely show them off!

The team at UoN are really nice, welcoming, and supportive. I was offered a place the day after my interview, which I accepted, and they've helped me through the process of my DBS, my skills tests and answered all my questions since then. Hopefully that calms your nerves a little bit! Just make sure you prepare and practice your presentation and show them that you'll make a good teacher.

Good luck with your interview!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.