Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Scotland, Who are you going to elect? Watch

• View Poll Results: Who would you elect if the Scottish Parliament Election was tomorrow?
    SNP(Nicola Sturgeon)
    30.00%
    Labour(Kezia Dugdale)
    5.00%
    Conservative(Ruth Davidson)
    37.50%
    Liberal Democrats(Willie Rennie#)
    5.00%
    Greens(Patrick Harvie)
    7.50%
    UKIP(David Coburn)
    12.50%
    Other
    2.50%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airmed)
    But we obviously have communities within Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales who wish to be independent from the UK as a whole.
    Yeah, but it seems a bit unusual to say you support the independence of "countries" without really saying which ones, or recognising that people have varying loyalties (I might see my country as Britain, someone else might see it as Scotland - much like in Northern Ireland). It doesn't really answer anything.

ReputationRep:
    Wait Scotland is still here? Thought they screwed off already too bad.

ReputationRep:
    But we obviously have communities within Scotland, N.Ireland and Wales who wish to be independent from the UK as a whole.
    Yes wanting to go back to the 1000s......

ReputationRep:
    Me as a Tory? :laugh: I couldn't!
    Female medical student with a cute accent.
    You're highly electable. Tory for glory I can see it now.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by L i b)
    Yeah, but it seems a bit unusual to say you support the independence of "countries" without really saying which ones, or recognising that people have varying loyalties (I might see my country as Britain, someone else might see it as Scotland - much like in Northern Ireland). It doesn't really answer anything.
    It was a general summary answer to the guy who knows I'm from N.Ireland. I support N.Irish independence from the UK, I don't view myself as British or a UK citizen.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by EliteWolf98)
    Yes wanting to go back to the 1000s......
    England's desire to rule Ireland in essence destroyed part of Ireland's culture (their language for one). But it is not about going back to the 1000s.

(Original post by trustmeimlying1)
    Female medical student with a cute accent.
    You're highly electable. Tory for glory I can see it now.
    Politics student! Why does everyone think I'm a medic in training?

ReputationRep:
    England's desire to rule Ireland in essence destroyed part of Ireland's culture (their language for one). But it is not about going back to the 1000s.
    Hmm, there has always been intermingling of cultures. That's not an unusual or bad thing. The idea of culture being "destroyed" is an odd one: culture is ever-changing and adapting. Scotland's culture is influenced by Gaelic invasion from Ireland, but that is part of what Scotland is as much as the ancient Britons, the Angles, the Picts and the Norse influences.

The English language is just as much a part of Irish culture as the Irish language is. There's not some sort of cultural purity you can hark back to before outside influences came in - all culture has always evolved in that way.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by L i b)
    Hmm, there has always been intermingling of cultures. That's not an unusual or bad thing. The idea of culture being "destroyed" is an odd one: culture is ever-changing and adapting. Scotland's culture is influenced by Gaelic invasion from Ireland, but that is part of what Scotland is as much as the ancient Britons, the Angles, the Picts and the Norse influences.

The English language is just as much a part of Irish culture as the Irish language is. There's not some sort of cultural purity you can hark back to before outside influences came in - all culture has always evolved in that way.
    And yet there was the Pale in Ireland and if you lived outside it and spoke Irish, your ways and you yourself were seen as uncultured and uncivilised?

ReputationRep:
    And yet there was the Pale in Ireland and if you lived outside it and spoke Irish, your ways and you yourself were seen as uncultured and uncivilised?
    Indeed, there has always been prejudice towards certain cultures and certain parts of a culture. In Great Britain, speaking English was seen as uncultured and uncivilised, with Norman French being the language of the ruling elite. That doesn't make one less a part of the culture than another: both have combined largely to create the modern English language that we speak.

Gaelic culture itself emerged as the result of Celtic invasions into Ireland and mixing with the existing population. It did not evolve in isolation either.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by L i b)
    Indeed, there has always been prejudice towards certain cultures and certain parts of a culture. In Great Britain, speaking English was seen as uncultured and uncivilised, with Norman French being the language of the ruling elite. That doesn't make one less a part of the culture than another.

Gaelic culture itself emerged as the result of Celtic invasions into Ireland and mixing with the existing population. It did not evolve in isolation either.
    I know it didn't evolve in isolation; it was able to thrive because the Romans did not invade Ireland. Just to be clear though, I don't hate Britain as much as some other people I know that do.

ReputationRep:
    I know it didn't evolve in isolation; it was able to thrive because the Romans did not invade Ireland. Just to be clear though, I don't hate Britain as much as some other people I know that do.
    I just don't understand why in Ireland it seems common to attach modern-day political meaning to events that happened centuries ago and were perfectly expected.

Take the suggestion that England occupied Ireland for 800 years. Ireland was invaded (well, in reality it was partially invited) by the Normans back then. England too was invaded by the Normans, who imposed a Norman aristocracy, laws and feudal ownership of the land.

But I don't see anyone over here letting that define who were are or attach political significance to it in, say, our relations with France. Hell, we embraced the identity and culture of the invaders and it is as part of modern Britain as the Saxon culture or the British Celtic culture.

It's because of this I always see nationalism as looking backward, but puzzlingly always to a very specific and usually arbitrary time period. In Scotland's case, Scotland itself was created by a union of four different peoples. It seems strange that Scottish nationalists quite like the political outcome of that union, but not the political outcome of the 1707 union.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by L i b)
    I just don't understand why in Ireland it seems common to attach modern-day political meaning to events that happened centuries ago and were perfectly expected.

Take the suggestion that England occupied Ireland for 800 years. Ireland was invaded (well, in reality it was partially invited) by the Normans back then. England too was invaded by the Normans, who imposed a Norman aristocracy, laws and feudal ownership of the land.

But I don't see anyone over here letting that define who were are or attach political significance to it in, say, our relations with France. Hell, we embraced the identity and culture of the invaders and it is as part of modern Britain as the Saxon culture or the British Celtic culture.

It's because of this I always see nationalism as looking backward, but puzzlingly always to a very specific and usually arbitrary time period. In Scotland's case, Scotland itself was created by a union of four different peoples. It seems strange that Scottish nationalists quite like the political outcome of that union, but not the political outcome of the 1707 union.
    I think in the case of Ireland it is because there was a lot of bloody rebellions in an attempt to break free from English rule. Irish nationalism thrives on recounting past attempts at gaining independence, it always has. Irish nationalism is certainly a very unique form of nationalism.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I live in Dundee for uni and I know that it will be a SNP majority here and that scares me.
    I thought you were a Kennedy/Farron type Lib Dem who wanted to tear NI from the UK?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I thought you were a Kennedy/Farron type Lib Dem who wanted to tear NI from the UK?
    I do want an united Ireland but I'm not going to vote for a bunch of hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    Why can I only vote for one party/leader in this pole?

When in Scotland we have two votes: Regional List (PR), Constituency (First past the post).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    If you are a Scottish voter who was voting SNP because labour were "red tories" still votes SNP now that Labour have elected Corbyn you are a bloody traitor.
    I'm voting SNP due to the mess Labour created with PFI schools and also opposing SNP amendments to the Smith Comission Bill.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.