Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i feel that gcses are getting harder and confusing as the teachers don't really know what to expect in the new spec for maths and English then how will the students know.
    also when the teachers say do loads of exam past papers i feel that there is kind of not going to help since i'm going to do the new exam 2017

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree.

ReputationRep:
    wait until you get to sixth form/college...these reforms have changed the game
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by geek567)
    i feel that gcses are getting harder and confusing as the teachers don't really know what to expect in the new spec for maths and English then how will the students know.
    also when the teachers say do loads of exam past papers i feel that there is kind of not going to help since i'm going to do the new exam 2017
    I'm also in Year 10 and I do agree that the GCSEs are getting significantly harder. I'm personally struggling with the new 9-1 GCSE Maths as the exams are a lot harder and I'm very worried about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yup its gone extremely harder to get a grip on and past papers wont help at all. Im in year 9 and currently a good A - A* grade for the spec is a C grade with the stuff they learnt for us.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of the new GCSEs was to make them more difficult because too many people were getting A* so now it's extremely difficult to get 9s which should make it easier for top universities to distinguish between 'straight-A' students

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Same! The new 2017 mark grades are so confusing, I really don't like this new 1-9 system of grading.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foreverton)
    The whole point of the new GCSEs was to make them more difficult because too many people were getting A* so now it's extremely difficult to get 9s which should make it easier for top universities to distinguish between 'straight-A' students

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And why was I born on the year I was - this makes me wish I was a 1990's child.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I thought last year's edexcel maths was way easier than previous years, but yeah I think they're trying to up their game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zxnera)
    And why was I born on the year I was - this makes me wish I was a 1990's child.
    that is just how i feel right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synonym)
    wait until you get to sixth form/college...these reforms have changed the game
    what do you mean?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    what do you mean?
    Our A levels are changing as well. Some of them have already changed but all will be changed by the time we get there. Read here:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-group#year-10
    Scroll up for the changes already being made.
    At least we're not year 9. They have almost all their GCSE subjects changing as well as the A levels

ReputationRep:
    I think its ridiculous how often they change things.. i cant remember how many times we were told 'you are the guinea pigs for this new exam' or something... its not fair on the teachers or students

ReputationRep:
    Those who took the exams in 2015 were the luckiest; I got such high grades in my November mocks when I am in reality a B grade student. My high scores on the 2015 papers have given me confidence, even though, inevitably, they will be a lot more difficult this summer!

ReputationRep:
    Currently in year 11 and yes they are getting harder. I've realized this when revising past paper questions, they seem to give you more hints and leeway in the questions and mark-scheme. However, I think it's for the good because top universities shouldn't be accepting people who are in fact B students but appear to be A/A* students.

I think however, if we put the effort in, it's is certainly possible to get straight As.

ReputationRep:
    I'm alright with change but this isn't good because not even the teachers know what's going on and stuff... :/
    I'm in year 10 btw

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you its to hard my brain cannot comprehend it anymore to top it all of the school I am currently going to is the worst none of the teachers cannot teach makes me wonder how they got into the damm job.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Currently in year 11 and yes they are getting harder. I've realized this when revising past paper questions, they seem to give you more hints and leeway in the questions and mark-scheme. However, I think it's for the good because top universities shouldn't be accepting people who are in fact B students but appear to be A/A* students.

I think however, if we put the effort in, it's is certainly possible to get straight As.
    How can you be a B student but appear to be a A/A* student?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moltenmo)
    How can you be a B student but appear to be a A/A* student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That post was almost a year old now...I'm doing my A-levels now but ok.

The point I was trying to get across is that some GCSE exams were too easy in the sense that they didn't test a candidates full potential properly and as a result, less capable students were achieving the same grades as the more capable candidates hence B grade students achieving A/A* grades when they really shouldn't.

And don't say that is baloney because lots of pupils don't even need to revise to pass their exams... how is that fair for the people who have actually worked hard and revised?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.